Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pid

Boolit Buddy

Pid

Anyone know of a source for a fully assembled PID in Canada? I contemplated ordering all the parts from Amazon.ca to assemble one but the total price would be in the neighborhood of $200.00 . I've seen the Youtube videos of Johnny's reloading bench from 2016 and it's a great source, but at that price of $200 CDN I'm thinking if one can be purchased fully assemble for even a little more then it might be worth it for a beginner caster.

Boolit Master
    Moderator Hatch sells very nice assembled units, including the probes. I don’t know if he ships out of the US, though.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...TCH-Automation

Boolit Buddy

Pid

You don’t need all the items that Johnny referenced. I used wire nuts vs a wire strip and hard wired the temp probe. I did buy the project box but you could really use any box you have floating around the house. I only used one 10A fuse but you could skip that too. Used an old 10 foot extension cord cut in half for the unit. Wiring wasn’t that hard. So, really just 3 primary items.

Inkbird Solid State Relay 40DA DC SSR Black Heat Sink for PID Thermostat Temperature Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCWO35P..._a4a4EbP2V29WE

F/C PID Temperature Controller, AGPtEK Dual Display Digital Programmable Temperature Control TA4-SSR Solid State Relay with 2 Alarms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NGL4KG..._w4a4Eb15DVSPV

K Type Thermistor Temperature Sensor Probe Temperature Controller,100mm / 4" Long Probe Thermocouple Probe Diameter : 5mm / 0.2"MT-205-100mm5x100x2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BQQJKN..._V4a4EbRXN445W

OK, ignorance on full display - what's a PID?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TjB101 View Post
    You don’t need all the items that Johnny referenced. I used wire nuts vs a wire strip and hard wired the temp probe. I did buy the project box but you could really use any box you have floating around the house. I only used one 10A fuse but you could skip that too. Used an old 10 foot extension cord cut in half for the unit. Wiring wasn’t that hard. So, really just 3 primary items.

Inkbird Solid State Relay 40DA DC SSR Black Heat Sink for PID Thermostat Temperature Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCWO35P..._a4a4EbP2V29WE

F/C PID Temperature Controller, AGPtEK Dual Display Digital Programmable Temperature Control TA4-SSR Solid State Relay with 2 Alarms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NGL4KG..._w4a4Eb15DVSPV

K Type Thermistor Temperature Sensor Probe Temperature Controller,100mm / 4" Long Probe Thermocouple Probe Diameter : 5mm / 0.2"MT-205-100mm5x100x2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BQQJKN..._V4a4EbRXN445W

Yeah originally I had all his referenced items in my Amazon Cart but have since eliminated a few. I'm just sitting on the fence about ordering the absolute necessary parts and I probably will soon but was just kind of waiting to see if I could get an already assembled unit here in Canada but from what I can tell it isn't something that popular as such.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    OK, ignorance on full display - what's a PID?
    I'm sure someone more experienced can provide the necessary info but basically it's an external unit to control the temperature on the lead pot to maintain consistency. Hope that kinda makes sense.

OK. I have just been using the same bare bones 10 pound Lee for years...

Boolit Buddy

Pid

Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    I'm sure someone more experienced can provide the necessary info but basically it's an external unit to control the temperature on the lead pot to maintain consistency. Hope that kinda makes sense.
    Exactly. It controls the pot and cycles power to maintain temperature. Really helpful knowing when pot is ready to go after adding a few cold ingots. I set mine @ 710 and it overshoots to about 720 every once in a while. Without it I noticed my pot getting overly hot when I was down to about 1/3 left in the pot. For me it was a really fun learning project as well.

Boolit Master

The pic makes it look like that concoction is inside the house. Your table saw makes a good base.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Moderator Emeritus

You can use a power supply from an old computer if you have one laying around as the case. That is what I did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    You can use a power supply from an old computer if you have one laying around as the case. That is what I did.
    An good option IF you think an internal fan is needed. I assembled a PID several years ago without a power supply and internal fan. A few months ago I added a second PID to my box and still do not need a power supply and internal fan. I suppose it comes down to your design and layout, but attaching the heatsink on the outside eliminates the need for fan/power supply.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t bought one yet, but when I do, it will probably be from Hatch. Also, I will order the model that has two controllers built in, so I can control my hot plate for keeping molds at temperature. Something to consider if you buy or make one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    The pic makes it look like that concoction is inside the house. Your table saw makes a good base.
    Attached garage right off basement. Table saw really does make a sturdy base and gives me a convenient excuse not to do any major woodworking projects. Vent hose is attached to a board I clamp into window and wife gave me some old under cabinet lights to use.

PID was a two hour project to cut the housing and wire it up. First attempt didn’t work as I had the wires backward from the probe to PID. (Or their directions were wrong) … then about another 45 min to have the PID ‘learn’ the pot heat up timing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    An good option IF you think an internal fan is needed. I assembled a PID several years ago without a power supply and internal fan. A few months ago I added a second PID to my box and still do not need a power supply and internal fan. I suppose it comes down to your design and layout, but attaching the heatsink on the outside eliminates the need for fan/power supply.
    I’ve notice none of the components really get hot running for 2 or 3 hours.

Boolit Buddy
    Love to see a pic of that. Will be making another one down the road for my PC oven.

Moderator Emeritus

Love to see a pic of that. Will be making another one down the road for my PC oven.
    Made this probably eight or so years ago. Pardon the mess. Been cleaning out areas from the move and haven't gotten to organizing yet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211124_190515.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	292159
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211124_190533.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	292160

Boolit Buddy
    Made this probably eight or so years ago. Pardon the mess. Been cleaning out areas from the move and haven't gotten to organizing yet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211124_190515.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	292159

Name:	20211124_190533.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	292160
    Nice … looks like a clean setup. How do support the probe on the pot side so it’s not sitting on the bottom.

Name:	E9ACCEFD-0893-4792-84A0-5CD123D7D21F.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	292165Pot and power coat controller. Parts off fleabay
    NRA Endowment

Moderator Emeritus

Nice … looks like a clean setup. How do support the probe on the pot side so it’s not sitting on the bottom.
    Been a long time since casting due to injury, divorce, and move, but I remember bending a coat hanger. Hopefully, I will be in a position this spring to have everything set up and good to go. Been a long journey.

Boolit Mold
    I got everything from China (the 9th province of South Africa) for $15 to build a PID. So build it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast