WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Jig For Shortening 12 Ga Brass Cases

Boolit Buddy

Jig For Shortening 12 Ga Brass Cases

Does someone make a jig to shorten 12 bore brass cases to 2-1/2” OAL? I don’t have a shop like Larry Potterfield’s, or a lathe. I do have about twenty 2-5/8” and 2-3/4” Alcan brass cases to process, and wouldn’t mind having something around that works if I enjoy shooting black powder shells. Suggestions very much appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's not brass shells, but when shortening conventional hulls, I took a pipe, of the desired length, which fit over the hull and came to rest against the rim. With that in place, I was able to cut the hulls, consistently, to the correct length. Perhaps a similar jig would work for a brass shell. Cut to length and finished up on a 1" belt sander.

Boolit Buddy
    Use 725's suggestion for gauge and a Dremal with a cutoff disc, de-burr edge and reload.
    Shaune509

Boolit Grand Master

3/4" steel pipe works. 12 ga. hulls just slip in nicely. That's what I use.

Cutting brass will be harder than plastic. The Dremel should work okay if you are careful. An Exacto saw should work on brass. Alternately if you make a pipe jig which requires a hacksaw, vice and file you might just us it as a length gauge to mark the brass then remove and cut at the mark with a tube cutter (then you need a tube cutter too). That should also work if you go easy on tightening down as you cut. I've done rifle brass with a tube cutter. It will leave a rolled edge though so you'd have to expand that back which shouldn't be difficult.

If you are going the gauge and tube cutter route you could use 3/4" plastic pipe cut to length as a gauge for marking hulls. The plastic pipe being easier to cut than steel. Also, if you get a large enough tube cutter you should be able to cut both pipe and brass so not needing a hacksaw, and getting a clean cut on the pipe.

Longbow

I had to do this with some cases for a 45-90. I made a block the right width, bored through @ case diameter+ and counter bored one side for the rim, I think you have to do this second step first to have a good center. Push a case in the block and run the whole thing slowly through the table saw. If I remember correctly I cut the block and resulting case a hair long and cut down to exact length on a hand crank case trimmer.

A cheap pipe cutter will do the trick, but you'll need an internal plug or pipe to keep the case from collapsing.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    You can order a custom die from CH-4D which would allow hacksaw cutting and final cut with a file. I bet one of the custom guys on here could make one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    Does someone make a jig to shorten 12 bore brass cases to 2-1/2” OAL? I don’t have a shop like Larry Potterfield’s, or a lathe. I do have about twenty 2-5/8” and 2-3/4” Alcan brass cases to process, and wouldn’t mind having something around that works if I enjoy shooting black powder shells. Suggestions very much appreciated.
    Send em to me. Will cut to whatever length your want and send em back. Free. Or I can make one and harden it
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Grand Master
    The little Harbor Freight mini chop saw (around $40) will probably do it, but the cases will still need a clean up trim afterwards. It may take some creative engineering to hold the cases consistently.

Robert

Boolit Master

I'd sell the long ones as you can't add to length and then buy the 2 1/2 ones new with the proceeds