Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Brass mold storage

Boolit Buddy

Brass mold storage

Any tricks recommendations on storing brass molds?
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've only got one brass mold, one of the old Italian Minie ball copies. I never had a problem with the brass parts, but the steel sprue plate, bottom plug and assorted screws like to rust.

Basically treat it like an iron mold and you shouldn't have any problems.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I pretty much treat all my moulds similarly, albeit I own but two made of aluminum, with the other (more than 300) of ferrous metals or brass. I keep the handles attached, and store them in Plano plastic boxes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mould boxes.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	292123 I have labels on both ends of each box, and bion it is quite easy -- not too much of a chore -- to get my hands on the mould I'm seeking. I generally scatter roughly one tablespoon of rice, total, in each box which either keeps humidity down or I'm just (no rust) lucky -- albeit I do add a sheet of Vapex paper to the ferrous mould boxes.
    Works for me....
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Brass will not rust. I just line them up on a shelf or two out in the open. Beautiful to look at, so why keep them locked away in a box!?!?!?!?!?!? Much easier to store when you take the handles off. A mold only needs one handle and most people generally do not actively cast with more than 2 or 3 molds in a session, so why spend all the needless cash on handles for each mold you own? I have 6 handles for multi-cav molds..................more than sufficient for my casting needs with 10 multi-cav brass and 45 Al multi-cav molds. I do not waste my time with 1 and 2 cavity molds in any material!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Well I store them on the shelf above and to both sides of casting bench , am not doing anything special for them , I use aluminum , brass and steel , all stored the same , but I do like a set of handles to each there own , I use everything from single cavity on up , hollow points and solid .

Handles for the most part are not that expensive so why not have a set ready to go , no time wasted unscrewing and getting them lined up again .

I may or may not cast with multiple molds in a session , depending on what you cast for and accuracy you seek , you may find less cavities gives a little more consistent , but as storage goes brass and aluminum may not rust but sprue plates and screws can .

Your needs and your method will be what you find works for you and what you wish to have or do , have always thought a rolling tool chest with drawers would be sweet for molds .

Boolit Master

MINERAL OIL FOR STORAGE!

Very low burn rate so most "cooks" off on hot plate. Works on all molds of mine for quite a while.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I just got my first brass mold and haven’t used it yet, but when I do, I will plan to treat it the same as my aluminum and steel molds. I spray them down with Ballistol after each use and keep them in a couple of Tupperware type containers.

Boolit Master
    Mine go back in the box they came in. I do wrap them in VCI paper and then in a plastic bag. I do that for all molds regardless of what they are made of. I bought a bunch of the VCI paper a while back and it works well for me as long as you keep it air tight.

Boolit Master
    No fires. Brass melts.

The weak point is all the iron hardware and sprue plate. I have MP molds and store them in a weather tight shop with my iron molds and that has been fine. People with high humidity might need something more.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.