Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open heart surgery and realistic chest cracking recovery

Boolit Bub
    i had open heart surgery 2 years ago now the surgery itself was no big deal the recovery was long for me but that was because i have a brittle bone disease that i was born with the bast thing i can tell you is it really is not a big deal keep a good positive outlook dont put your body in shock with stress befor the doctor puts your body in shock do what your told work as hard as you can with physical therapy and it will be behind for the biggest part in three months or so i will keep you in my prayers my friend.

A small follow up, knew I would forget something, they will put you on a diuretic to prevent fluid build up after surgery. It is a bit aggravating. The pills work within 30 minutes of ingestion, then you pee about every 30 minutes or so. Just driving to town can become a must plan excursion. Suggest you carry an empty water bottle with you from the hospital and in the vehicle for a bit until you get familiar with the urge and time you have to make a stop.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Mike - first, our best wishes to you for a good Thanksgiving for you and your family and sorry to hear of your issues.

I had triple by-pass in 1996 after a major heart attack. I was 43 at the time, I have been a Type I Diabetic since I was 14 so that contributed to it as well as some extreme stress with caring for my Father who passed from cancer and then my Mother having major health issues resulting in surgery that left her paraplegic - so my heart attack was going to happen at some pointy but all of that really speeded up the time frame.

A lot of things have changed in 25 years and a lot of advances in the technology. And yes, everyone is different. At the time, I was very active physically but not an organized exercise routine - have never been much into that. I worked long hours (self-employed) and basically on the move all day long.

If you are in reasonably good health - and I'm sure your doctor has probably discussed things with you - your recovery should go very well but you aren't going to be up to snuff immediately. In my case, I lost 40 pounds and I had to work hard at getting my strength and stamina back. They had me walking the hallways a few days after the surgery after I got out of ICU and when I got home, I started by getting up a number of times during the day and just walking back and forth in the house. From there, I went to walking the driveway (we had a long driveway from the house to the road) but my wife had to put a chair halfwa down and at the end so I could take a break. It improved though as I pushed myself.

I never had any pain in my left leg where they removed the blood vessel for the bypass grafts. Of course the stern is separated and spread for perform the surgery (in my case) and that took a few weeks for the incision to heal. lEven though they wire the sternum together, it takes time for it to heal and they will tell you what you can do and what to avoid. Even vacuuming (at the time I had it) was not allowed nor such things as carrying grocery sacks and I was not allowed to drive for a number of weeks. I believe it was about five weeks or so before I could start cardiac rehab which lasted about six weeks - if it is available - DO IT! It should be a combination of exercise as well as classes on improving your diet and exercise as well as addressing any concerns you or your wife have.

Personally, I had some issues due to the diabetes and my individual body make-up. When I was in ICU, I had to have two blood transfusions as I just wasn't responding as they expected - but with each one, I could feel the difference it made. The day after the surgery, they had me standing up and turningto sit in a chair . . . I have never worked so hard in my life - but that was there first step of many to recovery.

When I got home, I slept in a recliner primarily because it was hard for me to tout of bed, even with folding my arms across my chest. But that gets better with time.

Like I said . . . everyone is different. I have had friends who have had by-oass and their recovery was quite fast. I have a neighbor out here in AZ who had it about a month ago and he is not doing well, primarily because eh will not push himself to get moving and get his strength up - he is also going through some serious skin cancer issues and I have no doubt he is suffering from depression.

As I tell my friends who have to go through it and they ask me about mine - go into it with a positive attitude and let them do all the work. The technology is improving each day and once you are through it, follow what hey tell you and allow yourself to heal . . . if you need help . ask for it. I know it is hard to ask ours for help but believe me, there are good people out there that would be happy to lend a hand getting groceries, etc. - your fellow church members, an organization you belong to, etc. Keep and maintain a positive attitude because each day will get better.

Also realize that this is major surgery and it is not uncommon for many thoughts to flow through your mind = you have already voiced that in your post. Be confident and think positive about it. It is not unusual afterwards to have some depression and for some, you worry about if "today is my last day" . . . I talked with my cardiologist about it as I had those feelings and he assured me that it is very common for anyone who undergoes it to have those feelings but that they have fixed the problem and to try and put it behind you and appreciated the gift that God has given you for more time on this earth. If you find yourself down in the dumps as you recover - talk with someone about it - a friend who has gone through it, your spouse, your minister . . . don't keep it bottled up inside. Make the changes you need to in your diet and exercise - not just for your loved ones but most importantly yourself. I have talked to a lot of fellows I know who have had by-pass surgery . . . a lot of these guys are rough and tuff guys . . . but it is amazing how they open up about their feelings at times and the way the whole thing affected them . . . you end up looking at life in a whole different way and you learnt appreciate the call things in life. Yea .. . . there are times I get busy and feel like I need to push to get something done but then I stop and think . why? Why loose the chance to take an extra ten minutes to sit with my wife and have another cup of coffee or pick up my beloved dog and give her some attention? I guess that I'm trying to say that the surgery not only fixes the issues and gives you a new outlook on life . . . but give yourself time to heal both physically and mentally and your body will tell you what you can do and what you can't do as you recover.

Mike - you and yours will be in our thoughts and prayers and you will get through this just fine. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and you will soon be back on your feet again.

Boolit Master

I had double by-pass 15 years ago. Keep that Heart-Buddy (chest pillow) close to you at all times. I had a cough after my surgery, coughing so hard I would almost pass out. Checked, & found my left lung had collapsed, and the pleural cavity was full of fluid. Stack a needle in my back & drained off 1 1/2 liters (!) of bloody fluid. No bleeders, jus blood left over from the surgery. But when I coughed, I grasped my Heart-Buddy CLOSE to my chest, so the sternum wasn't stressed to break out of the wires holding it together. No drama, just prepare, and all was well. I was about 70 at the time, and am a hale & hearty 86 now, with a full head of silver hair, 28 home-grown teeth, still some black whiskers in my beard, and my Cardiologist is bored with me!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Don't believe it if they say your chest bone is healed in a couple of months, it takes six months for bone to heal. If you are wired together give yourself six months before you stress that bone. I had a back operation four months ago, I am limited to lifting more than 10 lbs. until six months is up. I also have a device I am wearing two hours a day that is supposed to concentrate the calcium in the healing bone to make it stronger. It does not make it heal quicker, but makes the bone stronger. I don't know if you will have your bone cut or not, but if so be careful until six months is up. Even my oral surgeon refuses to do anything for six months after he has done a bone transplant in my jaw.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I had double bypass in April ok 2014. Then in August of 14 i had a stent placed in one of they bypasses. i had a ablation done a few years later for afib. Been well since that. It took me about 2 years to get all my energy back. After my bypass. I remember when they got me up the 1st time to start my walks. I couldn't catch my breath. I said what the hell did they do to me. Now im dealing with 2 aneurysms. One near my belly. The other is close to my heart. The belly one is stable. The one by the heart has grown some. When it comes time to repair it. Im hoping they can do a stent. I honestly don't know if i want to go through another open chest surgery.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    God bless you Mike. I had 5 bypasses 15 years ago. Recovery is no joke and you will be sleeping and laying down for a couple of weeks after with someone needing to do even simple things for you. I was in good condition other than my heart but afterwards it took quite a while to even get close to where I was energy wise and strength wise. Go slow and do what the docs tell you.
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Moderator Emeritus

Mike, I would like to thank you for your post.....keep the faith....our Cast Boolits family will support you!

Father, Please be with Mike as he faces open heart surgery. Please give him comfort and freedom from pain and concerns. Father, I know You are the Great Healer and I pray that you guide him medical team so that Mike can be restored to his family and friends. Please wrap Your loving arms around Mike and heal him.....AMEN

Mike please keep us up on what you are facing and the prayer warriors in The Chapel and on this site will run the prayers up for you brother! Your Servant, Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    First off, our prayers are with you!
    Second, having been through this in April.

Install grab bars on both sides of the toilet area. It will make it less strenuous and painful sitting down and getting up.

Keep your cough pillow in immediate reach. If you cough and split the incision, you are in a world of hurt.put the pillow, stuffed animal in a pillow case to help keep it clean.

If you have a recliner, use it the first few days. It makes getting up easier.

If you do not have someone there to assist you, be very careful if n everything you do.(Not recommended)

Have light snacks available. You will not want a full meal for a while.

A sturdy chair or stool in the shower is a necessity. A handheld shower head makes it easier.

Best wishes and get well.

Do not rush the recovery. You can do a lot if harm. Let things heal.

Fox

Don’t be brave and try to tough out the pain. Take your meds.
    Last edited by shootinfox2; 11-25-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    Another note, if you have family and friends available, make sure someone is in your room 100%of the time.
    If your a private person who doesn't want to bother people, suck it up. You need an advocate with you.
    Nurses are busy, and if you need something, they may be slow to respond, but if you have someone with you, they can go to the nurse desk and that tends to get a quicker response.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
    Great advice, +1000!

Boolit Master
    My older brother had a bad coronary when he was 40. Quad bypass. About 20 years later he refractured his sternum getting banged around below decks on the Sydney to Hobart sailboat race. The boat broke too, a crack all the way around the hull near the stern. He made a good recovery and has lived a robust life since the bypass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    Another note, if you have family and friends available, make sure someone is in your room 100%of the time.
    If your a private person who doesn't want to bother people, suck it up. You need an advocate with you.
    Nurses are busy, and if you need something, they may be slow to respond, but if you have someone with you, they can go to the nurse desk and that tends to get a quicker response.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
    Personally, I second and third what you said, and I've not done any of the heart stuff yet, at 66. My dad had his first heart attack around age 50. Died at age 77, only missed another heart attack a year by a couple of years, IIRC. I was a long ways away, so may not have gotten the whole story. What took my dad out was a dental infection that was not treated before they did his last surgery. It ate the heart valve they'd just installed. He was pretty tough, so it took a month in ICU and a bunch of systems failures to take him down. I just hope I'm half as tough as he was.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent. Let me know if you have any questions.

Boolit Buddy

Had my Aorta valve replaced 6 years ago. Do what they say about lifting, make sure you can get up from your chair without using your arms, (getting out of bed is rough) and I did as Rapier said, I walked every day. Once your sternum heals do as they say increasing your activity. I swim, it helps a lot. Good luck, sir.

Boolit Master
    Thank you everyone for all the prayers and good wishes. I’ve made a list with questions for the Dr Monday and really appreciate the information you all shared.
    I’ll keep you posted.
    God bless all of you and God bless this country.

Mike

Boolit Master

Best wishes on your recovery. My MIL had open heart surgery several years ago. She was hospitalized for a week or 10 days and her recovery was prolonged. Her younger sister, my wife's aunt had a similar surgery a couple of years ago and was barely in the hospital 4 days. I guess I'm trying to say it is a very individual thing and your determination will have a great impact on your recovery. Remember, the Doctor has your best interests at heart in his instructions. Your success makes his reputation.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I just joined as a member today and was looking around and this thread caught my eye. I’ve never had a bypass surgery but I was a RN in an open heart recovery unit for a few years. Good luck and I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

Boolit Grand Master

It's probably too late for you to do anything about this but in general your pre-surgery physical condition is a large determinate in how quickly you recover and how well you recover. Keep yourself generally in good shape and ageing is a lot easier.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    It's probably too late for you to do anything about this but in general your pre-surgery physical condition is a large determinate in how quickly you recover and how well you recover. Keep yourself generally in good shape and ageing is a lot easier.
    Precisely. Age also plays a huge factor in recovery. I was 66 when I had mine and the nurses told me that I'd recover rapidly and go home in just a few days. I had the surgery on a Tuesday and was in the car and on the way home noonish on Saturday. And I had no pain (I don't know if I wrote that). They gave me an opiate 'cause I think that's SOP. I wish they hadn't, but with no pain I refused any more of it. But they suggested that I take the lowest strength pain med they had "just in case". I took if for a few more days and then stopped even that. Just, no pain at all.

You'll do fine. Keep a positive attitude.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    Wishing you the best for a great outcome.Had my tripple bypass June 16 2008.
    End of first week home was driving myself around.By the end of the second week was back to gathering fire wood for the winter.
    After being driven home by my ex wife`s youngest son,I went to the pharmacy to fill a script.Then to the grocery store for a few things for supper.
    Been going strong ever since.YMMV
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12