RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Bevel base bullets

Boolit Bub

Bevel base bullets

I have been looking at the forcing cones on my Smith and wesson revolver collection wondering why these factory style bullets do not target well.

I am of the opinion if I acquire a barrel blank and indicate the lands and groves concentricly and cut a forcing cone of 11.5 degrees on my lathe I should be able to shoot these accurately.

I am not a gunsmith, just someone willing to ruin a good model 10.

What does that have to do with bevel base bullets?

Boolit Grand Master

They shoot fine and dandy in my S&W's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

All my S&W (and I have several K frames)revolvers shoot both bevel based and plain based boolits well.
    I cannot tell the difference in accuracy myself. I have not tested with a Ransome rest so I can't verify that way. I just know my groups are the same size.
    Some will claim that plain based boolits shoot more accurately. This is supposed to have something to do with how the gasses pass the base of the boolit as it exits the barrel. That may be true for them in their firearm.
    Handguns are notorious for having a mind of their own and being a law unto themselves. I don't question their observations of firearms I have not personally tested.
    I simply state that I have not seen a difference in accuracy in MY revolvers.

Bevel based boolits in handguns serve three purposes that I know of. There may be more.

1-They supposedly drop from the molds easier. I can't confirm this as all my molds drop the same, both bevel based and plain based.

2- They are easier to load during the reloading process. This I can confirm. Particularly when doing a minimum bell on the case mouth to lessen stress on the brass to avoid cracking the case mouth.

3- The bevel base allows the base of the boolit to avoid being swaged down by the case if it is inserted deeply into the case to the point the thicker portion of the case walls would do so to a plain based boolit. The Lyman 356637 used in 9mm cartridges is a good example of this.

This is my experience and your mileage may vary. Good luck on your shooting and reloading endeavors.

Boolit Grand Master
    Years ago I did a side-by side test of the bevel based 358-091 and the plain based 358-495. I had access to a Ransome Rest and used my PPC Revolver, a model 10 converted with a 6 inch bull barrel and Bomar sights built by Bill Davis. 25 shots each, 5 at a time alternately at 50 yards, and the 358-495 group was about a half inch smaller than the 358-091, Roughly 2 inches versus roughly 2 1/2" IIRC. However, later on I bought bevel based 158 grains SWC's and could detect no difference between them and my own cast 358-477's when shooting hand held from my service revolver.

I don't know exactly what to draw from these two experiences, except that Ransome outshoots me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Here is a quote from a person that posts on here who is highly thought of concerning his expertise concerning ballistics etc. on the difference between FB and BB cast bullets, He said there was a difference but summed it up like this.
    "I doubt 99.99% of shooters can take advantage of the difference in accuracy."

Bevel base bullets suck period

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Bevel base bullets suck period
    yeah, notice that MOST factory lead round nose swaged from soft lead seem to have the bevel base that loves to lead, and is combined with NO lubricant?

flat base, with enough chamber pressure to OBTURATE

Wanna know the real reason we have bevel base boolits? Doesn't have anything to do with accuracy. Doesn't have anything to do with ease of reloading. Doesn't have anything to do with gas cutting.

Ever notice in a long casting session you start to get a lead smear on your sprue plate and the next thing ya know you have some flash on the bullet base? That little sliver of lead that sticks out from the base of the bullet?

What are ya gonna do? You want to cast a couple hundred more but that flash ruins the boolit! You gotta shut everything down and clean the mold and sprue plate. What a PITA!

So... commercial casters have the same problem. A little bit of flash on the bullet base is a HUGE problem. Shut down production to clean molds is a major pain and down time cuts into profits.

The solution to the problem is the bevel base mold. A bit of flash doesn't interfere with the bearing surface of the bullet, production can continue uninterrupted for several thousand more cycles. Subsequent handling and tumbling during processing and sizing operations peen the flash so it isn't noticeable.

VIOLA!! Simple as that... Whoda thunk it!
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    bevel base bullets suck period
    yep
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Are you a great shot ?
    You can do all manner of things to a revolver ... have Clark Custom Guns build you a precision bullseye match revolver ...but if you are a lousy shot ... It isn't going to target well .
    Really good shots spend years honing the skill ... it doesn't come easy.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    yep
    +1 for me too. I believe they lead easier and of 90% of the leading problems I've had are with BB booits. For those who are having good results, I'm glad for you but I firmly believe they were initially designed to facilitate dropping from the mold easier for production casters ah la Magma.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I have not had any fouling problems by BB bullets.

I have been able to measure accuracy differences. The two apples to apples I've done are the H&g #68 (Lee BB vs Arsenal FB), and a 44 mag 200 gr (Lee BB vs Lee FB). I made threads on the results of both. Don't quote me, but I recall the 45 ACP Arsenal FB shooting 3.25" at 50 yards vs Lee BB 5". Both being 25 shot averages. I tested lubes in the same test, which also made some, although smaller difference. The 200 gr 44 mag, the FB shot somewhat better, but both were pretty bad. Bad enough I don't own either mold anymore.

Ultimately it comes down to this. Bevel base is slightly easier to place when using a progressive press. That's their only advantage. I have yet to see anyone say a flat base shoots worse, only better. I load flat base on a progressive, and I don't find it even mildly difficult.

The closest thing to an apples to apples test would be to get hold of the H&G 50 molds. They made that boolit in both plain and bevel base.
    The next best would be to compare the Lyman 358091 and the 358495. They are very close to the same except for the base design.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    +1 for me too. I believe they lead easier and of 90% of the leading problems I've had are with BB booits. For those who are having good results, I'm glad for you but I firmly believe they were initially designed to facilitate dropping from the mold easier for production casters ah la Magma.
    My thoughts as well and I have shot quite a few as that is what’s available when I don’t have time to cast my own. The extra leading with bevel base bullets is one of my biggest bitches

Boolit Buddy
    I am not a gunsmith, just someone willing to ruin a good model 10.[/QUOTE]

Please don't ruin a perfectly good model 10. They are my favorite