RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman M die for .357 sig and 9x25, 9mm?

Boolit Master

Lyman M die for .357 sig and 9x25, 9mm?

Will the lyman m die for 9mm work for the sig and dilon? Without holding one, can't tell if the die is fat enough to let the body of the sig and dillon go in far enough to expand the neck.

Thanks, Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master

I am using a PhotoEscape expander a part of my Dillon powder measure, with Lead bullets:
    https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/9htc-ptu.html
    https://www.photoescapeinc.com/produ...er-funnel.html

When using Lead bullets, they need to leave the case larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. Sometimes the neck tension of the case will be high enough to size down the bullet smaller than groove diameter, even though larger when loaded. Until recently I dealt with this by using really hard cast bullets, which were hard enough to not be sized down even with high neck tension. Recently I have been using a lot of swaged Lead bullets for Bullseye, which are very soft, so I use an expander which leave the case ID the same as the bullet OD, and only push the expander down to where the bullet base will be, preventing the bullet setting back on feeding.

Much experimentation is necessary. Many jacketed bullets used in semiauto pistols are smaller than groove diameter, and cause little trouble. Using a soft Lead bullet, big enough to fill grooves , may bulge the case enough that the assembled cartridge will not chamber. I have a FN HiPower with a .3575" groove diameter, that will not chamber a cartridge assembled with a bullet that big.

Boolit Master
    I just don't like the Lee expander die I am using, want something that will expand the entire neck instead of partial. Just dont like the bullet doing most of the expanding.

Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    I wish they made that expander for the lee powder die. I really like the auto disk for pistol cartridges. Far more accurate than the dillon powder measure to me

Boolit Master
    Might look at NOE who makes expander plugs in several sizes to be used with the Lee expander die.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...ory/expanders/

Boolit Master
    Just what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Boolit Master
    I actually want it for j-word bullets. .355 diameter, what size should i get? .357x.353?

Boolit Grand Master
    To answer the original question: Yes the Lyman M die is large enough for the other cartridges to fit inside. They only use two die bodies for all the M dies to my knowledge, a short and a long one. The short is used for anything under about two inches, the long for over two inches. Obviously there can be a lot of overlap in length.

As far as which diameter to choose, how much case tension do you want or need?

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    To answer the original question: Yes the Lyman M die is large enough for the other cartridges to fit inside. They only use two die bodies for all the M dies to my knowledge, a short and a long one. The short is used for anything under about two inches, the long for over two inches. Obviously there can be a lot of overlap in length.

As far as which diameter to choose, how much case tension do you want or need?

Robert
    That is a heck of a note. I called lyman today. The guy said it wouldn't work, however, he didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about. I doubted him. The 9mm m die was on sale so i went ahead and ordered it, figured I can use in 9mm at worst.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Would expanding their entire neck of the .357SIG with an M Die reduce neck tension…instead of only a flare? Fellow .357SIG reloader here.

I use a sim expander in my Dillon for 9mm & 45. I suppose it would work in 357sig, but the neck is so short I don't see a real benefit there. as noted above, could even reduce neck tension, depending on how the crimp is applied.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I used a Lyman 9mm M expander for loading 9x25 Dillon. It worked perfectly. I used Dillon carbide dies, and of course those don't include an expander die.

The shank of the M die was .352", IIRC, so it was the perfect amount of neck tension. The M profile put a modest flair on the case mouth. I can recommend it without reservation for 9x25. I don't load 357 Sig, but would be surprised if it weren't likewise suitable.

FWIW, the RCBS and Redding 9mm M style neck expanders are almost identical. So whatever is on sale.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I used a Lyman 9mm M expander for loading 9x25 Dillon. It worked perfectly. I used Dillon carbide dies, and of course those don't include an expander die.

The shank of the M die was .352", IIRC, so it was the perfect amount of neck tension. The M profile put a modest flair on the case mouth. I can recommend it without reservation for 9x25. I don't load 357 Sig, but would be surprised if it weren't likewise suitable.

FWIW, the RCBS and Redding 9mm M style neck expanders are almost identical. So whatever is on sale.
    Finally, someone that answered my exact situation. I feel much better now, 9x25 is what I want it for. Thanks Tater!!!!! I was pretty sure the lyman guy was clueless.

Since I do my sizing on single stage, will put M die in position 1 of my 550.

Rosewood

Boolit Master

You're welcome. Glad to help!

For reference, this is the specific die I used.

~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    @taterhead, what powder do u use in 9x25? I want to use Longshot, but can't find any published data for it. Just the mag pistol powder loads in the lyman pistol manual.

Thanks,

Rosewood

Boolit Master
    You're welcome. Glad to help!

For reference, this is the specific die I used.

That is the one I ordered, got on sale for 17.47. Many times, the Lord blesses me when I least expect it or deserve it.

Boolit Master

Duplicate
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    @taterhead, what powder do u use in 9x25? I want to use Longshot, but can't find any published data for it. Just the mag pistol powder loads in the lyman pistol manual.

Thanks,

Rosewood
    I'm not aware of any published data. I used No. 9, Blue Dot and Longshot. And prefer them in that order. No. 9 excellent. Blue Dot makes some wonderful fireballs.

Some of my data is in this thread here. Start at post #320. Please do your own careful workups.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/9x...228796/page-16

Nice 9x25 BD flame here

~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    I'm not aware of any published data. I used No. 9, Blue Dot and Longshot. And prefer them in that order. No. 9 excellent. Blue Dot makes some wonderful fireballs.

Some of my data is in this thread here. Start at post #320. Please do your own careful workups.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/9x...228796/page-16

Nice 9x25 BD flame here

Always. Thanks!

Boolit Mold
    The "M" works great in all my cast bullets. I will definitely recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast