Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Another WWII Tale Of Selfless Servitude From The Greatest Generation.

Vendor Sponsor

Another WWII Tale Of Selfless Servitude From The Greatest Generation.

Attachment 292063
    American Billy Fiske—One of the Few

Pilot Officer Billy Fiske was the first US citizen to travel to the United Kingdom at the onset of World War II to join the Royal Air Force, and was one of seven American pilots to take part in the Battle of Britain.

On August 16, 1940, Pilot Officer William “Billy” Fiske scrambled to his Hurricane along with his fellow pilots at RAF Tangmere to intercept a formation of German Junkers over the English Channel. His squadron destroyed eight German aircraft, but a gunner badly damaged Fiske’s aircraft and put a bullet through his fuel tank. Rather than bail out, in one final piece of extraordinary skill, he managed to nurse his burning Hurricane back to the airfield, and bring it down through a steep dive into a belly landing. Fiske had to be recovered from his aircraft and died the next day of wounds he sustained over the Channel.

Pilot Officer Billy Fiske was the first US citizen to travel to the United Kingdom on the onset of World War II to join the Royal Air Force (RAF) and was one of seven American pilots to take part in the Battle of Britain. Fiske was a member of 601(County of London) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force—the “Millionaire’s Squadron.”

The son of a wealthy New York banker, Fiske was a celebrity in his own country before traveling to the United Kingdom. He was the driver of the first five-man US bobsled team to win the Olympics in 1928, and, at 16 years old, was the youngest gold medalist in any winter sport (eclipsed only in 1992). He carried the US flag at the opening ceremony of the 1932 Olympics, and again led the US team to a gold medal. Fiske was also a cresta champion and was well known for jumps from the Badrutt’s Palace Hotel’s bar chandelier in St Moritz.

Fiske studied at Trinity Hall College, Cambridge, then worked at the London office of New York banking company Dillon, Reed & Co, and he married Rose Bingham, the Countess of Warwick, in 1938. In 1939, he was recalled to work in New York, but at the outbreak of the war, pretended to be Canadian and enrolled in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, being promoted to Pilot Officer in March 1940.

In a letter to his sister Peggy, written around the time he volunteered, he explained his thinking. The English, he wrote, had “been damn good to me in good times so naturally I feel I ought to try and help out in bad if I can. There are absolutely no heroics in my motives, I’m probably twice as scared as the next man, but if anything happens to me I at least can feel I have done the right thing in spite of the worry to my family - which I certainly couldn’t feel if I was to sit in New York making dough.”

Fiske passed his entry interviews with his Canadian ruse. On March 23, 1940, Fiske was granted a commission as an Acting Pilot Officer on probation, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (78092). He joined No 601 (County of London) Squadron at RAF Tangmere on July 12, 1940. His engaging character and exceptional flying skills ensured that he was fully accepted by his squadron. He had been posted to 601 without having flown a Hurricane, took his first flight on July 14 and engaged in his first operational sortie days later on July 20. Fiske had only accumulated 11 hours on his aircraft at this point, but played a significant role in The Battle of Britain.

Attachment 292062
    A Hawker Hurricane, the type of plane that Billy Fiske would have flown. Image courtesy of the National Air and Space Museum Collection.

On August 11, Fiske claimed a twin-engine Messerschmitt Bf 110. On August 13, he claimed another Bf 110 and damaged two more. On August 15, Fiske forced a German bomber into a balloon barrage. A day later the Squadron scrambled to intercept a formation of Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive-bombers that were in fact heading for 601’s base, Tangmere. Fiske’s Hurricane P3358 was hit, presumably by return fire from a Stuka’s gunner.

Though the engine had stopped, Fiske chose to save the much-needed plane. He glided over the airfield boundary and made a wheels-up landing. The aircraft immediately burst into flames, and Fiske was severely burned. The Hurricane was later fixed to working condition, but Fiske died the following day from his wounds.

Billy Fiske was put to rest on August 20, 1940 at Boxgrove Cemetery in Sussex. Fiske was honored as the first American airman in British Service to die in World War II. Fiske’s flight commander, Flight Lieutenant Sir Archibald Hope, wrote:

“Unquestionably Billy Fiske was the best pilot I’ve ever known. It was unbelievable how good he was. He picked up so fast it wasn’t true. He’d flown a bit before, but he was a natural as a fighter pilot. He was so terribly nice and extraordinarily modest and fitted into the Squadron very well.”

Attachment 292064
    William Meade Lindsley “Billy” Fiske III stained glass window at Boxgrove Priory. Image courtesy of Bryan R. Swopes, 2018.

Later, a memorial was unveiled to Fiske at St Paul’s Cathedral in London on July 4, 1941. This was a singular honour in which Churchill’s hand can be seen. At the presentation, Sir Archibald Sinclair, Secretary of State for Air, said, “Here was a young man for whom life held much. Under no compulsion he came to fight for Britain. He came and he fought, and he died.” The plaque reads, “An American citizen who died that England might live.”

Billy Fiske had joined World War II before the United States, and risked his life for the sake of Britain. Fiske claimed his motivations for joining the RAF were not heroic, though his legacy of bravery and selfless dedication proved otherwise. The US Bobsled Federation has also dedicated the Billy Fiske Memorial Trophy, which is awarded to the national champion four-man bobsled team each year.

The United States recently relocated its Embassy in London to a new site in the Nine Elms part of London, much of which will be a park and accessible to the general public. The Billy Fiske Foundation is working with the RAF, the USAF, the State Department, and the Wandsworth Council to honour the memory of Pilot Officer William “Billy” Fiske—a US citizen and the first American to fly and die in the Battle of Britain—with a statue in the park, highlighting the close service and historical links between our nations, our Air Forces, and most importantly as individual and personal friends.

”The gratitude of every home in our island, in our Empire and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen, who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the world war by their prowess and devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few....”

—Winston Churchill, 20th August 1940
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I don't call them a Greatest Generation; They are a generation that great things happened too.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I don't call them a Greatest Generation; They are a generation that great things happened too.
    I had a buddy who got drafted in WWII, and eventually retired as a Marine Lt.Col.

When that term came out, he made the comment,
    'I don't know about the greatest generation, but we sure were among the most unlucky'.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-22-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I had a buddy who got drafted in WWII, and eventually retired as a Marine Lt.Col.

When that term came out, he made the comment,
    'I don't know about the greatest generation, but we were sure were among the most unlucky'.
    Audie Murphy's biography from 1949 is one of the best I have read; He puts the war in perspective of how life really was.

Audie Murphy's biography from 1949 is one of the best I have read; He puts the war in perspective of how life really was.
    Audie Murphy and Bill Mauldin.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80C348A0-CD1F-4EB3-A67D-536F1D0A0E95.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	292101Attachment 292094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2D04EDD-36E6-4B41-81D6-62E5EC9776B5.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	292102
    My wife’s cousin, Second Lieutenant Howard K Knapp, receive these medals and citations from the Italian campaign in World War II. I can tell you I had chills when I held The silver star in my hand. My wife and her sister found them while going through her aunts possessions. It seems my wife’s cousin had no other living relatives so they were entrusted to my wife’s aunt. Now that her aunt is in a nursing home they have been entrusted to my wife. None of my wife’s sisters actually knew what they were let alone what should be done with them. Thankfully my wife recognized their importance otherwise they might’ve wound up in a box going to Goodwill. It seems, for some reason I can’t attach the other citation. It’s a shame because The citation, that I can attach, explains why he won the silver star. The short story is he charged in German machine gun nest someplace outside of Pisa Italy on April 8 1945!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

In Boot Camp, we had a class on ribbons and decorations describing and showing us various ones.

When it came to the higher combat decorations, the Drill Instructor told us,
    "When you see someone wearing one or more of these---
    don't ask them how, or why they were awarded...... Because they might show you".

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Humbled.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Humbled.
    You nailed it. Thanks for the stories.

Boolit Master

it was truly a strange war for the United State's; Audie Murphy went to war Jimmy Carter went to college.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks for the great post Doug!

In 1979, my wife and I had the opportunity to take a three week trip to England, Scotland and Wales. Before we left, a family friend that I always looked up to, made a point to see me before we left. He had been a tail gunner in the 8th Army Air Corps and had been shot down on a bombing run and spent nearly 3 yers as a POW . . a story all of its own. He told me to be sure and look for the many memorials to the RAF and Americans who had flown it of England. We did see a number of small memorials . . . very moving.But the one I remember most was in Cheddar. We were walking down the street and we sotted a very small chapel across the street. We crossed over and went in . . . in the far end were beautiful stained glass windows and in front an alter - there may have been possibly four pews - as i said, it was small. No one was there and on the altar there was a large thick book. We walked up and took a look at it and discovered that the age shown had a U.S. Army Air Corps soldier's name on it with a history of him, his outfit and how he met his death. As we were reading it, an elderly gentleman came in and walked u to us and introduced himself as the caretaker of the chapel. We had a nice visit and he showed us the book . each page was dedicated to an individual who had been stationed nearby that had perished while on a flying mission. He explained that the chapel had been built to honor those men and as a place for their loved ones to come and find peace and that over the years, may of the loved ones of those killed had come to visit. Since the time that the chapel had been built and dedicated, he had been the caretaker and each day, he came to turn the book to the next page. When all the pages had been turned, he started over again.

We were on a very limited budget in those years and money was tight, but we had had the opportunity to take the trip and our parents urged us to do so. Seeing all of this and the dedication of this gentleman who had lived through the Blitz and his dedication to his daily routine of visiting the chapel to turn the pages touched me deeply. All I could think of was our family friend back home who had been so lucky to live to make it home. We thanked the caretaker for taking the time to talk with us and before we left, I pressed a 20 pound note into his hand and asked him if he would see that it was used to help maintain the chapel.

Like so many here, I am of the generation that these men and women who sacrificed so much during the war, are our parents. They very rightly deserved the title of "The Greatest Generation". I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks again for the great post and everybody can learn something from this post.

Jim

We had REAL Hero's in my generation, (which many of you here share) and they walked all around us everyday, silent for the most part in the form of fathers, uncles, neighbors, Sunday school teachers, school teachers, and every other walk of life. Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines, those who saved the world and liberated it from men gone mad.

It was no secret my Sunday school teacher was a Marine in WWII, everyone knew it, but what they didn't know was the extent of his service. Bob Coleman served in the 1st. Marine Division, 1st. Raider Battalion along side F.D.R.'s son. Only the good Lord knows the trials Bob went through during the war.

Name:	9lE0Xk6h.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	292110

Bob was the son of David T. and Mae Adele Hoffman Coleman. In World War II, he served in Co. A, First Marine Raider Battalion (Edson's Raiders) in the South Pacific and the Solomon Islands. His first wife was Gladys Greenabaum Coleman who passed away in 1978 and his second wife was Bessie Luckenbaugh Coleman.

Name:	kcwVhZ4h.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	292112

Bob's grave is about 1/2 mile from me right now. I'm the last of the Veterans in this little village to place and remove the flags on four cemeteries local here. I read every name, every time. The one's I knew personally, I find myself talking to them like they were there, sitting on their stone in the flesh.

Name:	wKdspPHh.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	292111

Boolit Master

We have Real Heroes in every generation.

The guys from the Greatest Generation ran the war in Vietnam; Their kids that went to Vietnam were definitely Real Heroes.

If your a Boomer and you dad was in WW2 like mine 1943 to 1946; try to read the real history of the war.

The kids in Afghanistan were definitely heroes for going on their own and not having to be drafted and dragged.

Thanks Doug Guy for your post, many sacrificed during WW 2. We should be thankful for them all. My dad's older brother was one such soldier, he was stationed in the Philippines when the war broke out. Short story is he survived the Bataan death march and and being a prisoner of war. In 1944 he was sent to Yokohoma where he was forced to work in a shoe factory making boots for the Japanese army. He was liberated by US GIs after Japan's surrender. My uncle wouldn't talk much about his experiences until much later in his life. We owe all who have served a great debt of gratitude.

it was truly a strange war for the United State's; Audie Murphy went to war Jimmy Carter went to college.
    I'm no Jimmy Carter fan, and yes in the early years of WWII, he did go to college.

----As did all his other class mates that graduated from the US Naval Academy (Annapolis) in 1946.
    Then he stayed in the Navy as an Officer on various submarines until 1953.
    He left the Navy after his father died that year to take over running the family's peanut farm.
    He became politically active, served in the Georgia Senate from 1963 - 1967, and was elected governor of Georgia in 1970.
    Then moved from the governor's mansion to the White House in 1976.

Was he a hero like Audie Murphy?
    Not exactly, but that's not a bad resume for a kid that grew up on a barely profitable peanut farm,
    compared to, oh say,,,, Bill Clinton.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-23-2021 at 04:10 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm no Jimmy Carter fan, and yes in the early years of WWII, he did go to college.

----As did all his other class mates that graduated from the US Naval Academy (Annapolis) in 1946.
    Then he stayed in the Navy as an Officer on various submarines until 1953.
    He left the Navy after his father died that year to take over running the family's peanut farm.
    He became politically active, served in the Georgia Senate from 1963 - 1967, and was elected governor of Georgia in 1970.
    Then moved from the governor's mansion to the White House in 1976.

Was he a hero like Audie Murphy?
    Not exactly, but that's not a bad resume for a kid that grew up on a barely profitable peanut farm,
    compared to, oh say,,,, Bill Clinton.
    His first action in the White House was to pardon all the draft dodgers; When we talked about that my Detachment Chief a highly decorated Vietnam Veteran said "he had more in common with them than US."

I hold Mr. Cater to a way higher standard than Mr. Clinton because He was a Ring Knocker Naval Office.

Boolit Grand Master
    What a great thread...

And sad at the same time.

Truly great men who fought and died....so that less than 80 years later, communists and traitors would corrupt their sacrifices.
    Don Verna

We have Real Heroes in every generation.

The guys from the Greatest Generation ran the war in Vietnam; Their kids that went to Vietnam were definitely Real Heroes.

If your a Boomer and you dad was in WW2 like mine 1943 to 1946; try to read the real history of the war.

The kids in Afghanistan were definitely heroes for going on their own and not having to be drafted and dragged.
    I'm one of the guys that came home in '68 and I still always looked up to the WWII generation.