RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 357 mag neutered

Look no further
    Attachment 293065

Boolit Buddy
    The original barn-burner .357 loads were developed for the N frame, New Service sized arms. I disremember when the loads were watered down, but I have to think the K frame sized arms were a contributing factor. There's no doubt in my mind but the N frames could digest a lifetime of the originals, albeit with suitable bullets. The swaged factory numbers weren't up to the task

The loads were watered down in the mid 90s, per SAMMI reducing the max pressure from 45K CUP to 35K PSI (which is actually much less). This was LONG after the K-frame magnums introduction in the mid 1950s, basically 4 decades. K-Frame magnums were proofed and worked fairly well with the full powered medium-heavy weight 357s loads that were used in the N-frame. The original heavy 38 special loads that Keith/Wesson developed were NOT velocity focused. They were heavy for caliber bullets going a full or or somewhat greater than full speed, but not intending to be as fast as possible. The 110 grain Q loads of the CHP were 38 +P+ but accelerated wear on their model 68s (like a model 66, a stainless K frame, but chambered in 38 special, not 357). IMO the L frame exists is because the late 60's and 1970s "barn burner" loads were very velocity focused. This was very hard on the K-frame and they were falling apart.

The idea was not: "hey let's return to sanity and load our 357 revolvers with heavy for caliber bullets going a normal speed," it was: "let's build a bigger stronger revolver that is not as big as the N frame but can handle this super velocity stuff." You know, throw money at the solution. The American way. That bigger stronger revolver was the L-frame and the GP100 (which is larger and sturdier than the Security-Six). The dumb thing about all this was that the 686/GP came out in the mid-80s and it was just 10 years before revolvers and the full powered magnums bid their farewell. It is my contention that if the super velocity craze of the 1960s/70s never occurred, that the K-frames (19s, 66s) would have been fine and marshaled on until the Glock replaced the revolver.

N-Frames (which are sized for six 44 caliber chambers and can take 45 caliber) are oversized for 357 IMO. I really liked my Highway Patrolman, and my father in law still has it, but it is about 10oz heavier than my M19. They shoot the same loads and have the same accuracy. Who wants to carry that extra weight? And I like how the M19 balances better. Instead of carrying its weight in the cylinder, it carries it on the barrel. Some people prefer the opposite, like my father in law.