Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: H&R single shot receiver interchangeability

H&R single shot receiver interchangeability

If this is not the right category, please move or disregard. My question, are all the H&R single shot shotgun receivers the same size? For instance could you put a 20 gauge barrel on a 12 gauge receiver? I have a 158 Topper, and wondered if a 20 would fit. Thanks
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I believe that they are one action size, but another barrel may or may not fit correctly. I have a 158 12 gauge and a 158 .410 as well as two 490 Jr. 20 gauges.
    I'll see how they swap out; now that you have me wondering.
    One thing- a non- scalloped barrel will look weird on a scalloped frame.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with other barrels working on my H&R frames A 12ga smooth bore locked up tight on my ultra slugger. and in the Handi rifle frames a 45-70 barrel locked up tight an a 35 Rem. frame. This is not in any way meant to say most swaps work this well but it should be an easy chore for a gunsmith to adjust the fit. Gp

Moderator Emeritus
    There are two different frames, a SB1 and SB2. The SB1 is a weaker frame (cast iron) and shouldn’t be used for higher pressure cartridges. It could rupture! Here is a post showing the differences in the frames: https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/how-t...vs-sb2.380304/

Any shotgun barrel can be used with either frame, as long as it fits correctly.

Boolit Grand Master
    They are almost all the same. The ten gauge action is larger than the twelve. Most all the others are the same as the 12, but I'm not sure about the .410 ? there are, as noted above differences in the manner of the action. The high pressure actions differ from the lower pressure actions (ie: shotguns & say, .45-70 vs a .223 or.25-06).

From a quick test because they were handy; The 12ga. Model 88 barrel on the right will fit and function in the Model 490Jr. receiver on the left but not quite vice- versa. The 20ga. barrel won't close on the Model 88 receiver. GBO has all kinds of H&R/NEF info and tips.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    They are almost all the same. The ten gauge action is larger than the twelve. Most all the others are the same as the 12, but I'm not sure about the .410 ? there are, as noted above differences in the manner of the action. The high pressure actions differ from the lower pressure actions (ie: shotguns & say, .45-70 vs a .223 or.25-06).
    My 410 barrel goes on the 45/70 (SB2) receiver)/Ed

When you ask if “ ALL” of the H&R frames are the same size the answer is NO. There are many early H&R frames/ receivers that are way different. I don’t remember many of the numbered models well but I did own 3-4 of the M 48’s and they did not interchange with any of the 148, 158, sb1 or sb2 sized barrels. There were M 58 & M 88’s and 258’s etc. and I don’t remember if newer barrels fit them and what was said about the 10 ga. receivers and the 12 ga. Ultra slug hunters are a larger size.
    The 410 receivers from the newer topper and pardner guns will fit with all the newer 410 thru 12 ga. barrels that have the forend lug that is tapped for a screw.
    When I say fit, they are the same type but you can get the proper type of barrel that will not close on the same type of frame because the lug is slightly long but that is a good thing as to long is better than to short.
    I’m sure this is now clear as muddy water but if you know what your 12 ga. barrel looks like as far as the under lug and forend and you can compare it to a 20 ga. That has the same features it should fit.

Jedman