Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cartridge dimensions

Cartridge dimensions

I'm curious about loaded dimensions for cartridges, specifically ones for pistols (automatic).

I can troll the internet and find dimensional drawings but my question is; are these loaded dimensions?

Should I be measuring my handloads and making them to these dimensions?

Most specifically I'm asking about case crimp, the finished dimensions after seating and crimping.

And, should I be looking at different dimensions loading cast boolits?
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Grand Master

This will give you SAAMI specs.

https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/

SAAMI spec should allow the round to be used in any SAAMI chamber. That being said you should look at your specific chamber to determine what is optimal for your chamber.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Thank you sir. So the dimensions listed are for loaded ammunition?

Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm just making sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    Thank you sir. So the dimensions listed are for loaded ammunition?

Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm just making sure.
    Yes, they are the standards ammunition manufacture adhere to.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

That was my thinking.

I clicked, and boy oh boy is that a resource!

So how realistic is it to think I can achieve the SAMMI dimensions on my puny little handloading equipment at home?

Specifically I'm thinking of something like the 9 x 19. It's a strange beast since it has a tapered case and it's not uncommon to find it (I'm a brass scrounge) having been fired out of a Glock or perhaps even an automatic weapon. Don't laugh, my last foray shooting we turned down a new road and there was probably 3,000 9x19mm cases scattered in a 30 square foot area, piles of it. Only thing I can think is that someone was running a sewing machine, having fun and just spraying rounds. As far as I can tell (I haven't checked every single case) they all look like they're fired from the same gun.

Boolit Master
    As M-Tecs said as far as resources - definitely none better for your question! Also, reloading manuals generally give a COAL for particular bullets.
    Question for the OP - can you please expound on 9x19mm being a"strange beast"?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    As M-Tecs said as far as resources - definitely none better for your question! Also, reloading manuals generally give a COAL for particular bullets.
    Question for the OP - can you please expound on 9x19mm being a"strange beast"?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Well, the 9x19 case is tapered. In "most" other automatic cartridges for pistol they are straight(er) wall.

Wonder why the 19mm version is tapered?

I believe the 9x19 is tapered to aid in feeding and extracting.

As for dimensions and crimp, for pistol cartridges, most headspace off the case mouth, so having that case mouth at the proper dimension, and square is very important. If your trimmed brass is the proper length, but you over crimp or roll crimp vs taper crimp, that can allow the cartridge to move too far forward which can cause problems.

Your reloading dies are designed to reform the brass to the saami dimension, when properly adjusted.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk