WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reopening the 32 Revolver Discussion

Boolit Grand Master

Reopening the 32 Revolver Discussion

OK, I'm getting ready to go visit Dale53 in a couple of weeks, and it will be a grand reunion of the 32s (calibers, not ages! ) I need to have a cool 32 H&R round built up to wow him, as well as another great 327 FM entry so his brother and I can demonstrate the difference between a wannabe and a real magnum. Then too, I'll probably throw a box or two of high performance 32 S&W Longs in the truck so we can make all of our assorted 32s feel wanted.

It seems like every time I start a discussion on the 32 revolver rounds, I get a plethora of responses, so I'm sure I'll hear from a bunch of you now, so let me set a couple of ground rules. First... no speculation. I want every response to begin with "When I [U]did[U] this..." not "I think you should... " or "Maybe it would be good to try..." Let's cut right to the chase and talk about actual experiences. Also, be specific. I'd like to see some actual loads not "I use a case full of XXX".

Bonus points will be awarded for loads involving wide varieties of bullets from 100 to 125 grains and powders we've discussed here such as Bullseye, HP38/W231, AA#7 and #9, etc.

Let the discussion begin!
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 11-21-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

Great idea, Froggie. In the Charter Arms Professional I have throats that go 0.3143" + or - 0.0002". I beagled a 3118 NOE mold and PC'd them then sized to 0.315". I leave the other Ruger SSM bullets at 0.313". I am surprised how well this groups with a load of 3.5 gr surplus AA2. PC'd bullets weigh in at 118 gr.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks MT G, that's exactly the kind of observation I was looking for. I don't have any AA2, but that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. My pad Ideal 3118 moulds as well as my NOE copy both drop large enough for my Ideal or Dale's Star .313" dies to clean them up to true without any special action on my part. The throats on my recreated K32 were reamed tight at .313" so I have just standardized my 32 bullet sizing to that except when something odd occurs.

Who'll step up next?

Froggie

I have tried a fair amount of different bullets in 32 mag and 327 fed mag. The bullet that shoots the best for me in both is the NOE 314-119 rnfp. I load them over 4.0 grains of unique in 32 mag brass, and 10.0 grains of 2400 in 327 brass. These loads are very accurate in my revolvers. I also load an arsenal 96 grain dewc over 2.7 grains of bullseye in 32 mag brass. These are also very accurate, and like shooting a reloadable 22lr.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Man
    I can't go into that kind of detail but I can tell you what I'm shooting nowadays. Its up to you whether you want to work it up for yourself:
    Low power - 98gr DEWC over 2.7gr bullseye in .327 brass
    Medium power - in the range of .32 H&R Magnum - 100gr plated Rainier bullets over 10.3gr Lilgun in .327 brass. The muzzle energy was 280 ft-lbs, but I would have to go look at the velocity. I am about out of these bullets, so in the future I'm going to work this load back up with poly coated cast bullets.
    High Power - Hornady 100gr XTP over 12.4gr. Accurate #9 in .327 brass giving 480 ft-lbs (I think I chronied 1480fps). There might be more there, but the brass got a little sticky on eject @12.6gr, so I quit while I was ahead.
    I chronied these loads using a Ruger SP-101 w/ 4 inch barrel.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger Single Six Bisley 32 H&R Mag. I lucked out and Lee had a return of the 311-100-2R several years back. Boolits drop at 313. I run 'em through a 314 sizer to lube then load over 4.5 grains of Longshot. I've never clocked this load but Hodgdon says that 4.7 grains pushes a 100 grain JSP to 1057. The bullet/load is accurate as all get out. I fitted the gun with a red dot and can regularly hit a 2 1/2" spinner off hand at 65 yards. It gets lots of giggles and wow's at the club.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wheelguns 1961, I got one of the NOE moulds in that design (from a group buy) and mine drops bullets cast from COWW + 2% tin at very regular 125 grains. A Star 313 sizing die just “kisses” the high spots to make a beautiful, if heavy for caliber, bullet. When I first got my 327s I loaded it in FC marked brass over a heavy (dangerous, therefore unpublished) load of Accurate #7. I’m going to start working up from about 9 gr of non-canister Accurate #9 which I have in abundance. I hadn’t thought of using 2400, but I still have some of that from my old 44 Mag days, so that is an interesting possibility (along with the Unique charge for the H&R). Those loads are long in my S&W chamber, extending to within a sixteenth inch of the cylinder face. Should be accurate though, with that little bullet jump!

Mobilemail, I’m trying to acquire a good DEWC mould in 32 now. I’d planned on using those bullets in S&WL brass, but it would be handy to have a good 327 FM loading for it as well. Two questions; do you seat them flush, or does some of the bullet extend out in front of the case mouth? Also, have you developed an accurate target load for that bullet and the 32 H&R length brass? As for those brass coated Ranier bullets, I have a small stash of them too, but have so far hesitated to spend time and effort developing a load for them out of fear I couldn’t get more. your “hot load” with Accurate #9 and the XTP bullet sounds interesting. I wonder how much I’d have to back off on the charge to use it with a 100-105 gr PB lead bullet(?) that’s an interesting line of experimentation I’ll want to try. I have some 105s with aluminum gas checks I got from beagle; they may work nearly as well as the XTP for hot loads.

JohnH, does the 2R indicate a round nosed bullet? I’ve been avoiding those for most of my cast bullets, preferring SWCs and FRNs. Do you think the accuracy you’re getting is a function of bullet shape or the match up of weight and powder charge? Longshot will be a new powder for me, but it sounds like one I ought to seek out if you’re getting this kind of performance from it.

To all: this thread is beginning to turn out just as I had hoped. Thanks to those who have responded so far, and as they used to say back in the pre-digital days, “Keep those cards and letters [and posts] coming in!”

Regards,
    Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

The 32 long loves the Lee 90 swc tumbled lubed with 2.5 gr BE. The 32 H&R does better with 2.6-2.7 gr. You cannot see these all the way to the target but almost. Nice 25 yard shooters.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I just load the 32long and the 32-20 and they both like the Lee 113gr and 120 gr boolits. I shoot as cast with Bens liquid tumble lube. If you need a big bullet my Lee 90 gr Swc runs .314 as cast. Tim

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Two questions; do you seat them flush, or does some of the bullet extend out in front of the case mouth?
    Also, have you developed an accurate target load for that bullet and the 32 H&R length brass?
    Regards,
    Froggie
    1. I crimp the DEWC at the first groove so there is about 1/8" protruding from the case. I had tried loading them uncrimped but kept getting dark cases from the escaping pressures. I like it better crimped. At some point I would like to buy some HBWC's and see how they perform.
    2. I have never owned or loaded 32 H&R brass. I bought a 500-rd bag of brass when I bought my SP-101. The 32 H&R brass is only 1/8" shorter than .327 brass, and I have found the ammo even more expensive and harder to find than .327, so I just don't mess with it. I have shot 32 Long in my gun a few times, but I would rather load in .327 brass and avoid the carbon ring from continuous use of that cartridge.

Boolit Man
    your “hot load” with Accurate #9 and the XTP bullet sounds interesting. I wonder how much I’d have to back off on the charge to use it with a 100-105 gr PB lead bullet(?) that’s an interesting line of experimentation I’ll want to try. I have some 105s with aluminum gas checks I got from beagle; they may work nearly as well as the XTP for hot loads.
    RimRock bullets sells hard cast - BHN22- bullets in 100 and 115gr. As soon as primers are available again I'm going to order some of these to work up some loads. I especially look forward to trying the 115gr in my Henry rifle. I have a small stash of the XTP bullets but I haven't seen them available in .312 since the ammo exodus began.

Does 32-20 count?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger Single 7, Fed brass from factory load, Fed 205M primer (had them on hand), Lee 113 soup can with gas check shank reamed to create plain base, sized .310, 2 coats powder coats, sized .314, 231 to keep velocity between 1000 and 1100. Easy shooting and accurate to limits of my ability for off hand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Does 32-20 count?
    In reality, the 32-20 in revolvers like the SAA predates all other 32s except perhaps the 32 rim fires. Now that we have the FM, its status as most powerful is in jeopardy, but since its original bullet, as represented by the 311008, is so prominent in this discussion, the venerable 32-20 deserves a place of honor here.

OTOH, I’ve related several times my one significant conversation with the late Skeeter Skelton. In his last major public appearance at an NRA Convention I asked him for his input about the use of the 32-20 chambered TC Contender for handgun silhouette. He had been experimenting with hot loads in the then-new 32 H&R, and suggested that would be a better way to go. Of course the development of the 327 FM was more than a decade in the future, but I can’t help but believe he would have been an enthusiastic supporter.

So, all you 32 lovers are invited to belly up to the bar with your input on your favorite 32 revolvers that you have bought, loaded, and shot! We are a dedicated but perhaps opinionated bunch, and each of us has his own personal tale to tell.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    As I have been working on the response above, the discussion on talk radio in the background has been Thanksgiving and what are we thankful for. I’m thankful that the Good Lord has given me a good long life and forgiven me for sins past while protecting me from my own stupidity.

Apropos of this discussion, I’m thankful that we live in a country where we can own and experiment with our gun hobby and that even though components are tight now, we have the opportunity to try our ideas and enjoy the fruits of our efforts. I’m thankful for all of you who have chimed in with your experiences and thoughts.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Charlie Shaeff
    Green Frog

Boolit Master
    Well Froggie...you caught me out of town for two weeks so I'll have to get you my data when I get back..

Have only been shooting .327 Federal. Had a couple of .32 H&Rs but just didn't do anything for me. At this point I have:
    JRH Custom S&W Model 53 6"
    FA 97 6.5"
    FA 97 4.25"
    TCCA 12" Octagon barrel punched out from .32 H&R to .327 by CWlongshot

Had been using AAC-7 for cast bullet loads but will probably bump up to #9 for the next loading session. #7 will push a Accurate 31-120S at 1400 fps from the 6.5" 97. With #9 that will probably be close to 1600 fps.

Only jacketed bullet I've been using is the Hornady 85 grain. Will have to look when I get home to see what powders have been used. With H110 the velocity was around 2100 fps from the TC barrel. I know the TC is supposed to be a .308 bore but the brass showed no pressutre signs and accuracy was excellent.

..and happy Thanksgiving to you and the family...

More later...Bob

ps...and I forgot I also have a pair of Colt SAAs in .32-20...have not loaded for them yet.

Boolit Master

OK, I'm going to talk about a .30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk! Almost a .32 but the point I want to make concerns Skeeter Skelton's review of this model when it first came out. Speaking of the noise and muzzle blast he said, " I felt like someone had detonated a dynamite cap in each ear and smacked me in the face with a wet towel!
    I have one of these but I keep my loads strictly pedestrian and not really on topic so I beg your forgiveness for a bit of thread drift!

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually, rumor has it that some RBH 30 carbine chambers will accept and fire a 32-20. I guess that makes you a sort of honorary member.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Wheelguns 1961, I got one of the NOE moulds in that design (from a group buy) and mine drops bullets cast from COWW + 2% tin at very regular 125 grains. A Star 313 sizing die just “kisses” the high spots to make a beautiful, if heavy for caliber, bullet. When I first got my 327s I loaded it in FC marked brass over a heavy (dangerous, therefore unpublished) load of Accurate #7. I’m going to start working up from about 9 gr of non-canister Accurate #9 which I have in abundance. I hadn’t thought of using 2400, but I still have some of that from my old 44 Mag days, so that is an interesting possibility (along with the Unique charge for the H&R). Those loads are long in my S&W chamber, extending to within a sixteenth inch of the cylinder face. Should be accurate though, with that little bullet jump!

Mobilemail, I’m trying to acquire a good DEWC mould in 32 now. I’d planned on using those bullets in S&WL brass, but it would be handy to have a good 327 FM loading for it as well. Two questions; do you seat them flush, or does some of the bullet extend out in front of the case mouth? Also, have you developed an accurate target load for that bullet and the 32 H&R length brass? As for those brass coated Ranier bullets, I have a small stash of them too, but have so far hesitated to spend time and effort developing a load for them out of fear I couldn’t get more. your “hot load” with Accurate #9 and the XTP bullet sounds interesting. I wonder how much I’d have to back off on the charge to use it with a 100-105 gr PB lead bullet(?) that’s an interesting line of experimentation I’ll want to try. I have some 105s with aluminum gas checks I got from beagle; they may work nearly as well as the XTP for hot loads.

*JohnH, does the 2R indicate a round nosed bullet? I’ve been avoiding those for most of my cast bullets, preferring SWCs and FRNs. Do you think the accuracy you’re getting is a function of bullet shape or the match up of weight and powder charge? Longshot will be a new powder for me, but it sounds like one I ought to seek out if you’re getting this kind of performance from it.*

To all: this thread is beginning to turn out just as I had hoped. Thanks to those who have responded so far, and as they used to say back in the pre-digital days, “Keep those cards and letters [and posts] coming in!”

Regards,
    Froggie
    Froggie, I think it's mainly that the bullet fits. I've got a round nose 90 grainer that drops at 311 and it' doesn't shoot nearly as well. Neither does a Lyman 311008 I've got. I want to get an NOE copy of the 311008 in a 314 diameter, just ain't got a roundtuit as yet. IIRC Longshot is a tick slower than both Unique and Power Pistol. I originally got it to play with in 9mm but really like it in the 32 Mag. I've bought several pounds to use exclusively in the cartridge. I've played around with it in 357 Mag and +P 38 Special but for me it shines in the 32.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Both of my .30 Carbine Blackhawks perform well with .32-20. One gun was professionally bobbed to 5-1/4" and the front sight reinstalled. Much handier in the field, but very loud with full-charge carbine loads. I use mostly .32-20s in it and find it rugged and accurate.

I also had John Taylor fabricate for me a barrel for The Infamous Bunny Gun which is chambered for .30 M1 Carbine, but also having a rim seat cut into the barrel so that it will headspace either rimmed or rimless rounds and positively eject them. Of course .32-20s fired in the Carbine chamber are no longer bottlenecked, but fire-form to the Carbine case profile, just like those fired in my Blackhawks. The barrel is 21 inches with 1:10" twist Government form, 4 - groove and stabilizes 174-grain Ball M1 or M72/M118 pulls subsonic and is threaded for a can. M1 carbine front sight and M14 front sight with half-rib Picatinny rail for optics if desired.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-24-2021 at 12:45 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast