Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reopening the 32 Revolver Discussion

I just entered the 32 field this fall. With a 327FM in a Ruger Single 7 stainless 5.5" slugged 0.313 size to 0.314 PC. I found a NOE 315115 gc. drops 0.315 @116 gr. Just to play I loaded 25 rounds, 5 each

Powder - load wt
    H110 - 12.0 gr

Book says these should be around 1100 fps
    700X - 4.2 gr
    HP 38 - 4.8 gr
    SR4756 - 5.2 gr
    Universal - 4.6 gr

Now that I got shooting it out of the way. I'll go back and run H110 and 700X loads past the LabRadar and begin working up mild and mag loads.
    Last edited by Minerat; 11-25-2021 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Fixed mould #
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Somehow I ended up with several .32s. The best bullet so far is the 311008 (NOE version). I have a pair of 5-hole molds that I use at the same time, making a lot of bullets per casting session. I've used molds from 88 gr to 120gr and find that I can't get the long range accuracy from light bullets. Additionally, the shorter bullets seem to be more fiddly to cast in that they have a smaller temperature requirement range. I quickly discovered that older Ruger S6 and SP101s have .311 chambers and the newer S7s I have need .313. The Henry lever action prefers .313. I have been playing with several powders but keep coming back to 231, Unique, 2400. An ongoing, and interesting, project.
    Loren

I purchased a mint 1930's made S&W Hand Ejector 5" blue in 32-20.....nothing out of the ordinary except the condition was pristine....and certainly not rare enough to warrant NOT shooting it.....and of course you know i didn't reload or cast for it.
    So....off to beg/barter/trade/buy the necessary moulds, dies, etc. to start casting and reloading.
    I traded for some 800 cast bullets and the guy threw in a bunch of powder coated bullets.
    I bought 2 Arsenal moulds to go with the one I received in trade.
    Brass here and there. Wound up with some 1200 brass of 32-20.....with a bunch of that being new Starline.
    Interesting factoid: the R-P brass was longer than the rest. Not sure why but they needed trimming.
    So....3.8 gr WW231 gives some 900 fps with a 100 gr cast. Nice plinking load.
    I have to say that shooting a gun that was made in the 1930's gives me an appreciation of the craftsmanship of those days.
    Those guns were hand fitted and finished wonderfully. I'm sure it is far more capable of shooting accurately than me.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Froggie

my first 32 was my Grandpa's H&R Premier my load for it is:
    32 S&W (short) SP primer, 2.0grs Unique, and Hornady swagged lead TC, .975" oal. killed many bunny's in the Brair Patch on snowy mid-west mornings.

a very accurate load in my Ruger SSM is;
    32 S&W (long) SP primer, 4.2grs HS-6, cast 313492 WC, 1.140" oal
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master

I shoot 32hr and 327,,in ruger revolver.use the rcbs98swc,almost exclusively,,32-3.5gr of hp38,and 10.5gr 4227..mild to wild,speed.
    327,,most accurate loads are just the same as 32,only more powder.6gr hp38,,or 13.5gr4227.
    These to loads run 1300 in a 5 inch,gp

Boolit Grand Master
    FISH4BUGS, somehow powder coated bullets in a 32-20 seem almost sacrilegious to me. I’m sure they worked fine, but it seems to be at least anachronistic since most companies quit most production of 32-20 guns before WW II. Yes, I know there are exceptions, I even have a couple, but you know what I mean. If you’re up to 1200 cases, even with the problem some people have with reloading issues, that should be a many year (lifetime?) supply. Sounds good from here.

I just primed 100 each 32 H&R and 327 Fed Mag cases this afternoon while watching college football and plan on digging out 100 32 S&WL cases if I can find them to do the same. That should give me sufficient ammo for my visit to VA’s North West Territory (that would be Ohio to the historically challenged) and friend Dale53. I’m sure we’ll have lots to talk about as we drag out our various 32s.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Froggie

my first 32 was my Grandpa's H&R Premier my load for it is:
    32 S&W (short) SP primer, 2.0grs Unique, and Hornady swagged lead TC, .975" oal. killed many bunny's in the Brair Patch on snowy mid-west mornings.

a very accurate load in my Ruger SSM is;
    32 S&W (long) SP primer, 4.2grs HS-6, cast 313492 WC, 1.140" oal
    I have that mould in a 4 banger, need to warm it up and crank out a 3 pound coffee can of boolits for the next season.

Boolit Grand Master

The noise of a 327 Federal is loud, but it is not "felt like someone had detonated a dynamite cap in each ear".

A 327 Federal sounds just like a 357 Magnum. A blindfolded person could never be able to tell which was which. Neither has much for muzzle blast. The calibers which truly do meet the above description, plus chest slapping muzzle blast are 357 Max, 454 Cassul, and I'm guessing 460 S&W is the single worst handgun for noise and blast. I did shoot a 458 win mag Competitor pistol which was really bad, but I'm not sure that is comparable.

Back to the 327 Federal, the light bullets provide the WOW flash, but I never got anything other than a 100gr XTP to shoot good. Hodgdons max load of H110 is the best with that. If you are trying to impress by accuracy, go to a heavier bullet. I find 135 to 145 gr the sweet spot for this cartridge. Even at that weight, loads are running 1200-1400 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    FISH4BUGS, somehow powder coated bullets in a 32-20 seem almost sacrilegious to me. I’m sure they worked fine, but it seems to be at least anachronistic since most companies quit most production of 32-20 guns before WW II. Yes, I know there are exceptions, I even have a couple, but you know what I mean. If you’re up to 1200 cases, even with the problem some people have with reloading issues, that should be a many year (lifetime?) supply. Sounds good from here.
    Froggie
    I have not yet used the PC bullets. I agree - it DOES seem sacrilegious to me.
    I loaded the 800 or so cast that i got in trade and I am working through those.
    I might try the PC bullets just out of curiosity but I will stick with the cast.
    Lifetime supply? Maybe. Once I get through these 800 or so, I may cast up 1300 bullets, size and lube them, and load the entire bunch of brass.
    That's the way I tend to cast and load. Big batches.
    That way i don't have to do another batch for a while.
    Attachment 292313 Attachment 292314 Attachment 292315
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a plan! For a lot of us, 1000+ rounds of ammo for any revolver not being used in competition will last a looong time!

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Sounds like a plan! For a lot of us, 1000+ rounds of ammo for any revolver not being used in competition will last a looong time!

Froggie
    Yes, but if you shoot 100 rounds each time you take the gun to the range, 1000 doesn't last a really LONG time. 10 trips. Maybe a year if you are lucky.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I have not yet used the PC bullets. I agree - it DOES seem sacrilegious to me.
    I loaded the 800 or so cast that i got in trade and I am working through those.
    I might try the PC bullets just out of curiosity but I will stick with the cast.
    Lifetime supply? Maybe. Once I get through these 800 or so, I may cast up 1300 bullets, size and lube them, and load the entire bunch of brass.
    That's the way I tend to cast and load. Big batches.
    That way i don't have to do another batch for a while.
    Attachment 292313 Attachment 292314 Attachment 292315
    Every time I look at that gun, I turn green with envy. What a fine looking revolver.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr Bugman, that is a sweet looking Regulation Police. I guess I’d have to shoot it a lot too!
    Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Every time I look at that gun, I turn green with envy. What a fine looking revolver.
    Thanks. The reason I bought it was condition.
    Also, it gave me an excuse to assemble brass, bullets, dies and moulds. It took a couple of months to assemble everything but I did.
    It was basically almost a new gun made in the 1930's. The fit and finish is something you simply don't see any more. I LIKE the older guns - 1920's and 1930's....the best era for Colt and S&W gun manufacturing in my opinion. Lots of hand finishing and fitting.
    The gun had been carried a bit but not fired much at all. They story was it originally belonged to a trapper in Maine, but who knows?
    It was not a rare gun - the 4th change Hand Ejector was VERY common - it was the most common gun S&W made at that time. 32-20 was not as common a caliber at that time.
    It is common enough to shoot it and shoot it I do.
    I suppose there are collectors out there that would not shoot it, but I shoot all my guns - regardless of collector's value. That is what they were made for, right?
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 12-05-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Man
    I've loaded for several. 32s over the years but just got my first snub nose. I found a great deal on a 31-1 I just couldn't say no to. I have an old Lyman wadcutter mold I'm planning on using for my first hand loads for it. I moved last Jan and am just getting around to unpacking the casting and reloading stuff so these will be my first homemade boolits in nearly 2 years.

Boolit Buddy
    Uberti 5.5" SAA clone 32-20

Lyman 311008, 9.4gr 2400... 1,126 fps
    RCBS 32-98SWC, 10.0gr 2400... 1,195 fps, my once in a while fun load
    RCBS 32-98SWC, 3.7gr W231... 882 fps, my usual blasting load
    RCBS 32-98SWC, 11.5gr H110... 1,352 fps, as far as I wanted to go but it could probably handle more
    RCBS 32-98SWC, 13.5gr H4198 (compressed)... 965 fps

Really fun cartridge. I'd like to try the 327 in a GP100 when things are less crazy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0396.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12