MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are There Cowboy Action Shooting Experiences?

Boolit Master

Are There Cowboy Action Shooting Experiences?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Texas and it occurred to me that they might have some kind of business that allows you to get the cowboy action experience even if you don't own the guns for it. I'm envisioning something where they give you a few pieces of costume, walk you through gun safety and function for the guns you'll use, and then set you up to go through a few supervised courses of fire on their SASS range with one or more guns.

The idea sounds really fun, but I don't know if it's actually a thing. Does anybody know of a place like that?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

If you have a single action and a western style rig, bring it with you with loads on the order of a 38 Spl wad cutter. You do not need an outfit. Find a range shooting SASS matches on your route and work the get together date. Go by and watch for a bit, they will usually ask if you brought your rig. Every place I have ever been was a come on down, kind of match. A hat for the sun, shooting glasses and ear protection is a must, you shoot steel plates, pop, tink, sort of thing.
    My first time out of the chute, I brought my OM Blackhawk in 44 Mag with my silhouette load, first shot, was a total freak out, woah, woah, you are destroying our target, which I certainly would have done had I shot another round. The first 240g hard cast with 23g H-110 on that thin, soft steel made a 1/2” deep dent in it. I had no idea they were shooting so soft a target. You feel kind of dumb, if you are a steel shooter, tearing up a target like that, I was used to shooting 1/2” T-1 armor plate targets.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    If you have a single action and a western style rig, bring it with you with loads on the order of a 38 Spl wad cutter. You do not need an outfit. Find a range shooting SASS matches on your route and work the get together date. Go by and watch for a bit, they will usually ask if you brought your rig. Every place I have ever been was a come on down, kind of match. A hat for the sun, shooting glasses and ear protection is a must, you shoot steel plates, pop, tink, sort of thing.
    My first time out of the chute, I brought my OM Blackhawk in 44 Mag with my silhouette load, first shot, was a total freak out, woah, woah, you are destroying our target, which I certainly would have done had I shot another round. The first 240g hard cast with 23g H-110 on that thin, soft steel made a 1/2” deep dent in it. I had no idea they were shooting so soft a target. You feel kind of dumb, if you are a steel shooter, tearing up a target like that, I was used to shooting 1/2” T-1 armor plate targets.
    A lot of us got out of the game when powder puff loads came into being.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

if you show up at a match most times before the shortage someone would let you use their guns and shoot a match don't know about now.

That's a long drive from Virginia been there done that.

Boolit Grand Master
    The first match I went to was to scope it out and see if I liked it. During the lunch break, I was asked if I wanted to try it. They gave me a holster and two revolvers, a rifle and shotgun plus the ammunition and let me shoot a stage. It was a blast. I shot the stage clean but was slower than a crippled porcupine.

I got hooked and did it for about 10-12 years. The folks at a CAS are great. You can be a gamer or just go and have fun...nobody cares. The reason I stopped going to matches was that I love to shoot and matches are not a lot of fun. You shoot for 25-35 seconds and then stand around manning the loading, unloading tables, picking up brass/hulls, running the timer, or spotting....so "work" for an hour until the next stage. Matches last 6 hours to shoot for 3 minutes. If the social aspect means the most to you...go for it. If you like putting rounds downrange, there are better venues. We wound up spending 2-4 hours a week on the practice range burning through 400-500 rounds...and stopped going to matches.

Some folks get their panties in a knot over "powder puff" aka "gamer" loads. That is what the winners shoot, plus most of people who participate. You can shoot full power .45LC but not many do.

When I left, there was a push to add more categories and that was a turn off. Not sure how that panned out.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I have been shooting SASS matches since 1999. Every club I have been to will let new people try out their guns and shoot a simulated stage if they want to,usually after the match.
    Yes, the loads have become lighter over the years for those who really want to "win", but many, like myself, have either stuck to the more realistic loads or have switched to Blackpowder rounds. And then we compete with others who have done the same and ignore the overall winners list. There are no prizes, so to us having more fun is winning. I shoot with my wife and 2 kids most of the time, with my daughter also shooting BP, while my wife and son shoot smokeless.
    As for the targets, most clubs have switched to better steel, as even slow soft rounds will damage the targets eventually. And as for 6 hours matches, I have never been to a local shoot that lasted more than 3.5 hours. A 6 hour match is more in line with a state or national shoot. Concerning "too many categories", I agree, but don't really care. I just shoot how I want to shoot and let the other guy do the same. As long as everybody follows the rules, I am good.
    If i want to just shoot a lot of rounds, I go to practice days, and go for it. Not the same as a match, though. Nobody to make fun of my mistakes or me to make fun of. All in fun but it keeps you on your toes more if someone is watching. Be kind of like playing golf by yourself, or going to a batting cage by yourself, and never play with other folks. Seems kind of boring.

Boolit Master

A long time ago, in a century far away....

SASS decided in the early 1990's handgun knockdown targets would be set to fall from a hit with a Standard .38Spl 158gr RN Service load.
    I don't know what it's like today, as I quit Cowboy Shooting in 2009.
    Handgun plates at 18" X 18" set less then 20ft away became ridiculous to Me.
    Spirit of the Game was dead. The gamers killed it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Big targets up close , lost interest really quick, like others have said it was great fun until the gamers ruined it.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

A lot of people moved on; you can only shoot so many clean matches then it's getting boring

Boolit Master
    "Spirit of the Game was dead. The gamers killed it."
    Exactly. I have badge 442 hanging on the wall. When it left El Toro it had already changed for the worse.
    Loren

Banned
    if you want the genuine cow boy shootout experience, simply drive an escalade through el paso

Been shooting cowboy for over 30 years, never lost the urge to simply have fun. BAW shoots the biggest meanest guns possible, 50/70 and 45/90 for long range, 44/40 for rifle and pistol with stiff loads.
    It was funny last month, I got deq'ed when both barrels of my shotgun went off, the darn gun flew over my shoulder and hit the RO. Pretty serious at the time but we all laugh about it now.

Shoot for your own pleasure and don't worry about keeping up with the Johnes!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Bub
    i am looking for some C&B bp shoots in the MD VA area, anyone know of any?

Boolit Master
    So they must not time the runs. Might start timing yourself for a challege or change disciplines. Doesn't sound like it is meant to be a competive sport.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Our club requires all steel bought by any discipline to be AR500 or better - just in case !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    So they must not time the runs. Might start timing yourself for a challege or change disciplines. Doesn't sound like it is meant to be a competive sport.
    Huh? They most definitely time the runs. I’ve seen guys fire 10 rounds through a lever action rifle in the 3 second range. Five rounds from a revolver in under two seconds. It’s extremely competitive for the serious shooters.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    To be a national level competitor takes an incredible amount of skill and dedication.

However, until like most competitive shooting games a lot of people shoot it solely for fun. One gentlemen locally loads his shotshells with real black and glitter and or feathers alone with the shot. He will never win much except for the fun factor awards.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

These folks are just shooting for fun.

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Basics here but check out the shooter at about the 4:53 mark.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Go to sassnet.com. Loads of info. Look up a club close to you and give them a call. You will be suprised what people will do to assist you into our sport.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast