WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is Levergunning alike Bowhuntin ?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    First what kind of bow are we writing about ?
    I have used bare recurves for 35 years and never taken a shot past 20 yards. That is my 55# bow lethal limit. Most all my shots are 12 yards or less in the river bottoms I hunt. Probably half the bucks I have stuck have been stalking. But then it takes me an hour to advance 50 yards.
    I've tried to teach quite a few over the years how to still hunt, but have only been successful with two. Can't get most to slow down and hunt like you are supposed to! If you aren't using your binoculars more than your feet, you are going too fast!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've tried to teach quite a few over the years how to still hunt, but have only been successful with two. Can't get most to slow down and hunt like you are supposed to! If you aren't using your binoculars more than your feet, you are going too fast!

sharps 4590, sure nothing wrong with sitting in a ground blind or just in between some trees. Been hunting that way for 25 years after a car wreck. It works, had white tails within 2 feet on the other side of me brush/ deadfall blind.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to agree with ya waksupi. A good pair of Binos makes looking into and through thickets to see the minute details much easier. Sort of evens up the vision issue.
    One of the best equipment items I bought 20+ years ago was a Steiner Predator Bino. Good glass and learning to patiently use them made the river bottoms come alive with critters that were always there anyway.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Binoculars are the second thing I grab after a loaded firearm when a hunt is afoot. Hunting with my .54 blackpowder pistol is as close as I come to bowhunting. My max range is about 40 yards but I prefer 40 feet!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

nice to see some were able to lets say, understand where that Q was coming from an where it was going......
    some of the other replies , WOW, lets just say WOW.... LOL.... Golf Balls V atom bomb comparisions in some of them ey.

hooroo

edit- im awaiting the mail man to arrive with my first compound bow.... so never mind... i got this
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Boolit Grand Master

Bully for you HD.375
    Bow hunting will teach you a myriad of lessons. As you gain confidence and the craft of close hunting get your self a recurve or longbow and learn that art. Challenge yourself to become the preditor hunter.

I had a recurve when I was 13 and was very good at small game and fish. But all my gear disappeared when the Green Machine took me for 3 years. Bought a ML kit at the Army PX store and off I went when free again.
    Soon muzzle loaders were to easy and then got bored with harvesting corn crunchers with rock locks down in river bottoms and thick woods. So when God provided a 45# Bear recurve from a fine Brother it all came back together and sharp pointed shafts were quietly harvesting bean eaters for the 3 months ILL-Nois gives to stick shooters.

Your terrain may be vastly different. In east ILL-Nois there is a river every 15 miles and creeks everywhere so getting close is not the issue. Study how the natives did it. Adapt and your compound will harvest deer to 40 yards +. Tube sights and scopes make it fairly easy.
    Practice, practice,and then some more. A 3 inch circle is my gauge. Every shaft in 3" is my lethal range. A modern expanding razor head will slice and dice an big hole. With a shaft through the heart and lungs a deer can still move 100 yards in 3-5 seconds so do not get discouraged But learn how to track and follow a blood trail that may require doing so on hands and knees looking at blades of grass and flipped over leaves.

My longest firearm shot is 33 yards. My closest bow shot is 4 yards. It can all be done by anyone who will pay the learning price.
    I still use recurves. But my limb pulling days are near over. 71 years and the shoulders just do not function like 15 yeas ago.
    But I still sit in bushes and 3 days before we returned here to Peru I had a 10 point big buck standing 9 yards from me looking the off to my left and would have been been very easy to drive my broadhead through lungs and heart. May see him again in 2 years God willing when I have a bit more time to enjoy his flavor.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

HD.375
    What is the Handle about ? We shoot all sorts of Caliber .38 rifles from 38 Long up to 375 H&H.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For me personally they are kind of similar. I use my lever actions for slow stalking in the thick woods where 50 yards is a really long shot, and 20-40 is really the norm. I guess it's more like using a fast crossbow.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Bow hunting it a completely different discipline. I did it a few times, but never got lucky. Hunting with a lever action is pretty much the same as hunting with any other gun in my opinion.
    ^^^ What Greg said. Levergun or not, hunting with a rifle is hunting with a rifle. I will say that hunting with a 41 magnum Blackhawk (iron sights) for more than a few years taught me that extra bit of patience that made me a better bowhunter.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Even though I competed internationally successfully in archery years ago out to 90 meters, I still think the range limitations of bowhunting are similar to handgun hunting (unless you are the modern incarnation of Elmer Keith). 50 to 60 meters would be my maximum with a bow and I would have to think on that. The "9 ring" on an Olympic 90 meter target is about the size of the vital area of a large deer. Recently, on a TV hunting program, a bowhunter shot a bull elk from 90 meters and I was absolutely horrified at that conduct. He paid the price, however, having to trail the elk for 8 hours with witnesses on film then shooting it again, when it was clearly going to survive the first hit. It was a humiliation for bow hunters in general. If you limit yourself to the longest range you can keep 4 of 5 arrows on an 8" paper plate, I guarantee you will become a better hunter with you beautiful lever gun
    Last edited by quilbilly; 11-24-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I used to use a compound bow, but I was also practicing at least every other day. Now to be fair, the archery range was on my way home from work so I would stop in for 15-30 minutes after work and get practice in. I got to the point where I was consistently shooting 4-5" groups at 80yds, and could estimate my range to within 5 yards out to 100 yards, but have this personal rule of that I will not take a shot on game unless it is half my paper shooting practice distance or less, so 40 yards at most with the compound. I got addicted to the getting in close aspect of hunting, and now try to get in close regardless of what tool I'm using, so my gun hunting is similar to bow hunting in those terms, but it's still much different. And I was looking for more challenge, so switched to a longbow about 2 years ago for my bowhunting. Now my maximum range for game is 20 yards, and I haven't gotten good enough to stretch it all the way out to 25 yards yet. Goals....
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Bows are very similar to hunting with iron sighted revolvers. I've been shooting bows for over 50 years,handguns about 40. Out to 50 yards bows are easier. It's a longer sight radius,and even if you're a trad shooter out to say 20 yards,it's still easier than iron sighted revolver.

What gives the hand gunner big "points" is movement during the shot process. No comparison,handguns are uber efficient in bring them to bare.

I'm too old to be climbing into tree stands,and wasn't all that wound up about them when I was younger.... but,a well prepped/tuned 44 mag hunter in a treestand here in the mnts of Va where shots are often in feet not yards.... they are very high on efficiency. Takes lots of practice though.

Rifles,compounds,and crossbows you can get away with much less practice. Trad bows and iron sighted revolvers.... you'd better be on your practice regime.

Boolit Master
    I'd so yes, in one respect only.
    I have to be closer than a bean field rifle.
    My eyes only allow about 60 yards with open/receiver sights.
    Compound shooters take longer shots than I do with my 38-55 or my 45 colt pistol.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    HD.375
    What is the Handle about ? We shoot all sorts of Caliber .38 rifles from 38 Long up to 375 H&H.
    handle just referin to the lever gun i got, model 94 ,.... 375 winchester of course,,,, not one of those big honkers.

The only gun hunting that gets close to hunting with a bow is a flintlock, and maybe a smoothbore at that. I'm a fervent levergun hunter, but let's just be honest here... any decent levergun is capable of 100 yards if not more in the right hands. There is no drawing, no anchor point, no back tension, no delayed ignition (flinter) etc... etc... etc... It's just a better looking, more functional and handy rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Hunting with a smooth bore flintlock is like hunting with a crossbow.

I can't think of any firearm that would compare at all to a regular bow. A Lever gun is certainly not even in the same league. I'm not much of a bow shooter, and I failed miserably the few times I tried hunting. There are a million things that matter with bows, that do not matter with rifles of any kind, even muzzleloaders. Muzzleloading is all about what happens BEFORE the shot. Bow hunting is all about what happens AFTER the shot. Compound bows help somewhat with a few issues. With a compound you can draw when the animal isn't looking, or coming in, and wait quite a while to shoot. Using a traditional bow you cant do that at all. The space required to move with a bow is so much greater. You need both the height and the width to draw your bow. Compounds again allow you to get away with a little lack of form, but a non-sighted bow, you definitely need to be in good form to make a shot at all. There's a whole bunch more to it than I understand. Then there is the fact you are shooting arrows. Again, these new compounds are allowing the usage of some crazy broadheads that make quite impressive wounds, but you are still shooting arrows. You have to understand bone structure for any shot that isn't a perfect broadside shot. Even a sturdy 2 blade broadhead made for penetration isn't a great match for a light deer shoulder blade. Bigger animals are worse.

Let's try a scenario. You are sitting against a tree, and you see a deer at 75 yards out. #1 with a lever rifle, you take the shot, and the deer goes down quickly. #2 with a bow, nothing you can do but watch.

Sitting against the same tree, a deer you hadn't seen is 30 yards away, but knows something isn't right. #1 with a rifle, you raise the rifle when it steps behind a tree, you take the shot when steps out, and the deer goes down quickly. #2 with a bow, you could try and draw, but the deer would see you, and probably bolt. If you had a compound, you could probably draw when it was behind the tree, and hold long enough for a shot. The problem being when it steps out, and knows something is up, it will likely be facing you. Can you feed that arrow through the small area between the bone at 30 yards? You have only one real option, and that is to wait for a better shot. It might happen, but also just as likely the deer doesn't like what it smells, and bolts.

It doesn't matter how you cut it, bow hunting is tough. There's a lot of advancements in compound bows that take a way a bunch of problems you face with a traditional bow, but the fact remains you still have to draw on an animal, which is no subtle movement, and then make a shot while under pressure, and cold.

Shooting a rifle in the field is a lot tougher than at the range, but still, all you have to do is sight alignment, trigger pull. Even weak calibers are more devastating than arrows, to a degree. Arrows leave some crazy blood trails, but deer live a lot longer with an arrow through the lungs, so you kind of need it to find them.

maaaan- I AM LOVING this BOWHUNTING caper!
    if i had of had my lever gun, i'd have been able to shoot 6 deer in the past 5 or so days of hunting with the New Bow!!!!

ive sent one Arrow at Game, 33m on a Fallow- an been within 45m of 6 deer at various stages. unable to seal the deal for good yet but the Challenge, Excitement, Persistance and Patience needed..... is next level.

https://youtu.be/L1cbgvai2bA

Enjoy my first few hunts, on camera. plenty off camera so far!

Humbling isn't it. I hunted for 4 years before I killed a deer with a compound bow. Have you thought about a climbing tree stand? Saw a lot of nice straight trees there.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Humbling isn't it. I hunted for 4 years before I killed a deer with a compound bow. Have you thought about a climbing tree stand? Saw a lot of nice straight trees there.
    hey mate,
    so i have, an am thinking of them however my style is , progressive? or just really curious to get in on them, i try to sit an wait as often as i can from the ground but il no doubt move a short distance before the prime, or to chase something ive seen!

Certainly is humbling but the feeling is unlike Rifle hunting............. its true wilderness warrior stuff.... i l o v e it

cant thank The hunting Public on youtube for the inspo an encouragment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast