WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has buying experience with Gun Broker.com

Who has buying experience with Gun Broker.com

I am searching for a S&W pistol model 10 or a great buy on a 38 Special that is not a snubby (like a Ruger or Rock Island, etc. Not to interested in a Rohm unless it is a 38S model). I'd like it to be in decent condition and work properly. Performance is more important than looks. A 4 inch barrel would be nice. My price range is $100 to $350 not including shipping and FFL fees. I've seen several nice ones on Gunbroker that are what I'm looking for and within my price range, however I've never bought a gun on line. If you've bought a gun there how was your experience?
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    I have been a frequent GunBroker purchaser in the past. Research the seller, research what you are looking for and make sure that you have a model / price / condition that you are willing to accept from said researched seller and bid away! Don't be afraid to ask for more photos or information, and be certain not to be afraid to walk away from an item. Don't get caught up in the bidding (difficult with the added minutes every time a bid is increased) have a set price including fees in your mind and stick with it. Make sure you take into account shipping and handling as well as FFL fees when you're making your bid. (I swear there are sellers that make money only from their shipping and handling fees!!).
    I have been burnt on GB as both a buyer and seller, but it is not as common as some would lead you to believe. My overall experience has been very positive!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have purchased 2 guns on GB, one was a S& W model 15 in .38 Special. The seller had good reviews, pictures of the revolver were dark. I followed several similar items, missed a couple by a single bid. I stuck to my bid number and ended up with a good value on a very nice 15-5. cwtebay offers good advice. Make sure you have all your questions answered up front. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I recently beefed up my revolver collection off GB. A 1987 minty Super Blackhawk, A mint 1956 4" K38, And a shooter grade 24-3. All great shooters and no problems.

Boolit Master
    I've never had a problem with GunBroker.
    I've ALWAYS had problems with FFLs near me. Find a dealer who knows what he's doing and doesn't mind handling the transfer.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Moderator Emeritus

I had one clear misrepresentation (not even the listed caliber) and another with a "slight" misrepresentation of condition. Got burned on the first one (paid cashiers check) and learned to only purchase with a credit card, no matter what. All my other purchases were fine. The credit card is the only way you have some protection, as gunbroker primarily sides with the seller in my opinion. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy

I've been buying on gunbroker for years and have had zero issues. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't happen.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master

Make sure to check sellers reviews and number of transactions.
    Ask questions. All of my deals have been good.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

I have bought several, have yet to have a bad experience.

From Yugo SKS to H&R snub nose double action revolver in .32sw long (110$)

I do look for offerings that have a good description write-up, and more than 3 pictures.

My theory is if they take the time to list it well, they will take the time to deal with me fairly.
    Conversely those who are not willing to put in the effort are not worth my time.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

This is great advice. I appreciate the advice about doing my due diligence and what to look for. I do have a clearer idea on how to proceed. Any other thoughts I'd love to hear them.
    Last edited by bbogue1; 11-23-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    Avoid getting in a bidding war. I bid a maximum that i can live with and walk away until its over (unless its something I really want).
    Just remember they add your states sales tax to the final cost.
    Most charge a 3% credit card fee.
    Make a trip to the dealer you plan to use for transferring to check them out.

Bill

I have bought and sold many guns on gunbroker over the past 12 - 15 years . I got burned once by a seller that only had several sales prior but was a brick and mortar type store that had been in business for years. Looking back at what went wrong was, their picture were poor quality, they didn’t show things like the factory barrel stampings, and just plain lied about the bore condition. At the time they had “ No Refunds “ listed but I believed that if the seller grossly misrepresented the gun they would be required to take it back and refund your money but that is not true. I went thru HELL trying to get a refund filing with the BBB, the state Attorney General, and Gunbroker and finally got a small part of the price back from gunbroker after sending them the gun to examine and waiting months for everything to happen.
    So a few rules I would follow, be sure the pictures clearly show everything you need to see to be sure the gun is what they say it is. If it is a gun that has a high chance of cracks or splits around the stock tangs be sure the photos show that area well or anything you see in the pics looks odd make sure they will give you a satisfactory answer about it or more pics. Most sellers have never fired the guns they are selling but must at least try out the action to be sure their is no broken parts, hammer cocks and works as it should extractor/ejector works, and the big difference in peoples description of the bore condition. That is especially important on guns made before no corrosive ammo. You can understand seller that say “ No Returns “ if nothing is grossly misrepresented as buyers are sometimes super picky and often have buyer’s remorse once they find they paid to much or other reasons.
    Check out the sellers feedback and be sure you are comfortable with the seller as some don’t answer questions and leave out important facts about things like caliber, barrel length, and similar common things that should be listed and if they wount answer your questions Beware

One big expense now is this year they started collecting sales tax for all sales in all but a few of the states and if your the seller you have to have the buyer pay you the tax and then you have to pay it back to gunbroker, it’s a PITA ! and also increases the overall cost of buying a gun thru them.

As with everything in recent years the price of shipping, FFL fees, gunbroker fees have all gone up in cost so making a good deal is very hard to do anymore but not impossible.

Jedman

Boolit Master

I have bought off gunbroker , most were good deals , some were less then perfect , upping shipping cost , pictures of firearm were better then actual wear and blue , missing magazines , minor stuff , the tax issue I have contacted gunbroker about as they are collecting tax even when a tax is not owed , as in Wa. state a private sale there is no tax owed , gunbroker is still saying they collect tax .

Always figure in shipping and dealers fees , and set a limit , bidding wars are funny to watch as I have bought the same item that others are bidding stupid on .

Boolit Master
    I've had no bad experiences with Gunbroker. I check to see how many sales the seller has made, check their feedback, look at the pictures and ask questions. Bid what you're willing to pay, be sure to check the shipping fees, turn your back and wait for the end of the auction. The bidding wars will suck you in. I've gotten some good deals on gunbroker, a couple of which I've bid low and ended up winning the auction. A few of them I wished I had bid a little more, but then again, there's always tomorrow and another item of the same will someday come up for sale.

I have bought quite a few on GB. Only buy from ffl holders with a adequate history of good feedback and always pay with cc or USPS money order. Just my way.

Boolit Master
    I should note, the last transaction on GB will likely be my last. A "minty , as new 1892 made in 1894 32WCF arrived with the rear sight snapped in 2 and the riser MIA. Seller drug his feet, said he had another identical sight, apologised for his mistake (because it was obviously a packaging problem) offered it to me, I agreed. He spent the next several days hemming and hawing until the limit expired on feedback. Then he told me to go pound sand. I would happily post his username here - but hey, I have forgiven him and prayed for his lying, honourless soul and forgotten him.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 11-22-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I had one clear misrepresentation (not even the listed caliber) and another with a "slight" misrepresentation of condition. Got burned on the first one (paid cashiers check) and learned to only purchase with a credit card, no matter what. All my other purchases were fine. The credit card is the only way you have some protection, as gunbroker primarily sides with the seller in my opinion. Good luck.
    I agree 100%. I had several transactions that went well, but one that I consider the seller a very dishonest individual. I got no satisfaction from the Gunbroker staff.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

I just won an auction last night, my 3rd on gun broker. The first two transactions were very good, I’m sure this one will be good also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    I am searching for a S&W pistol model 10 or a great buy on a 38 Special that is not a snubby (like a Ruger or Rock Island, etc. Not to interested in a Rohm unless it is a 38S model). I'd like it to be in decent condition and work properly. Performance is more important than looks. A 4 inch barrel would be nice. My price range is $100 to $350 not including shipping and FFL fees. I've seen several nice ones on Gunbroker that are what I'm looking for and within my price range, however I've never bought a gun on line. If you've bought a gun there how was your experience?
    have used gb for years.. their checkout is a little dodgy.. doesn't like discover too much.. but otherwise.. seems to work ok

Moderator Emeritus

I have brought maybe 20 from gunbroker in the last 22 years. I was burned this spring. I checked the pictures for other images on line, ran a google name search that showed the person in this town as a relative in an obituary and in a paper. Deal was for a Springfield 10 mm with ammo and magazines. I got burned as did 5 others. I waited the 30 days, reported it, reported the no action 30 days later and have since been asked twice if it has been resolved. " no you banned the seller, I got scammed. I don't think you did any due diligence...ect. " I have still never received anything from their insurance. Whether I can take a $1000 hit financially is not the point. They are the worlds worst communicators if there are problems. Payment was USPS MO, Postal inspector said "Thanks for reporting this, Its a Federal case if we catch them". As for my money, it's still gone.

I still check it regularly and doubt you will see a decent 38 revolver with the specified prices listed. If you were to find one for that I would be very untrusting of it's condition.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast