MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: cimarron 1873 45 colt

cimarron 1873 45 colt

I have several rifles and pistols/revolvers in many calibers but this one was my last purchase. I disassembled the rifle and stripped the stock and fore end and removed the red stain. I sanded and finished with boiled linseed oil. I loaded several rounds with black powder (that I made) under 250gr of lead today. This has been the most thrilled I have been about a firearm in a long time. Its interesting how they designed it. Its surprising how accurate it is. I thought I was done with being thrilled about rifles, I guess I was wrong. I wonder what other marvels are out there. I built many high end AR's and precision long range rifles but they are just machines to me, this one has a soul...its almost like I want to bring it everywhere I go. I never thought I would own a lever action rifle, I guess I was wrong.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Welcome to the club. Rebuilt this one from a Stoeger [uberti] ‘73. Swell rifle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41354451-3914-459E-A837-6006649BBD03.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 11-20-2021 at 09:39 PM.

The 1873 is THE perfect rifle IMHO. Everything about it is just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Welcome to the club. Rebuilt this one from a Stoeger [uberti] ‘73. Swell rifle
    she sure is purdy! mine is here, glad I got rid of that candy apple red,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211120_195558.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	291960
    ― Winston S. Churchill

is this Cinnamon brand taken over the modern levergun world or only america for now??
    are they priced well, same or above Winch and Marlin?

dont think ive ever seen one down under, but dont mind what i see
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

I have two of the Win/Miroku rifles in 44-40 WCF and they are the better of the non Italian guns,not perfect but nicer wood better small parts and screws. Some of the Italian guns have better chemical CCH than the Win/Miroku rifles. Miroku makes very good rifles not exactly John Brownings design but I bet he would approve given the technology today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B00C4331-B6EF-4719-846E-9B8034722E09.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    I have several rifles and pistols/revolvers in many calibers but this one was my last purchase. I disassembled the rifle and stripped the stock and fore end and removed the red stain. I sanded and finished with boiled linseed oil. I loaded several rounds with black powder (that I made) under 250gr of lead today. This has been the most thrilled I have been about a firearm in a long time. Its interesting how they designed it. Its surprising how accurate it is. I thought I was done with being thrilled about rifles, I guess I was wrong. I wonder what other marvels are out there. I built many high end AR's and precision long range rifles but they are just machines to me, this one has a soul...its almost like I want to bring it everywhere I go. I never thought I would own a lever action rifle, I guess I was wrong.
    Now take that fine rifle to a cowboy action shoot. Be careful, it could cause a serious addiction especially if you add a couple of 4 click tradional single actions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    I never thought I would own a lever action rifle, I guess I was wrong.
    Oh boy. Hang on!

Boolit Master
    How did you strip off that Uberti finish? I've got one that says Stoeger on the barrel, just like Baltimoreed. That one and three others that have the same Uberti color on the stock. I REALLY like the looks the rifles without that red color on the wood.

I know, im already looking for different ones to add to my collection. I got this one after i got my cimarron SAA in the same caliber. Not good for the wallet.

GL49, i stripped it off using citristrip from home depot. It took a few applications but it worked quite well, i had it done after a few hours. I wet the wood to clean off any residue and let it dry overnight, sanded with 400 grit slightly staying away from the inlays and then applied the linseed oil, sanded lightly with the 400 and rubbed the "mud" in with my bare hands. wipe off the excess and wait 24 hours...repeat...repeat..etc One problem i had and it wasn't a good one, the fore end screws are butter soft, i stripped one even with a convex flathead. I had to drill it out carefully and ordered a hardened set from VTI.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

My 45 Colt M1873 is the Cimarron "1873 Short Rifle Octagon" with 20" barrel. 'Spose I could refinish the stock but it looks fine as is to me.

Attachment 292020
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1736B521-346A-4280-820B-BA0AE02A29D0.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	292021
    Here’s my ‘73 Spanish Contract Carbine made to resemble the 1876 Centennial that Rafe Covington [Tom Selleck] uses in Crossfire Trail. Had to buy an open top and a Schofield of course. Now if I could only grow a Tom Selleck mustache.