Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Winchester Deer Season XP 6.5 CM

Boolit Master

Winchester Deer Season XP 6.5 CM

Probably shouldn't be going down this rabbit hole, but when I went to sight in my Mossberg 6.5 cm using Vortex optic and Win Deer Season XP 125 gr. I shot this group (not perfect but...). I also brought some ladder loads using Hornady 135 grain AT loaded with IMR 4350 (40-42 grains in .2 grain increments).

I know it's irrelevant to most to identify a powder used in commercial ammo but I was rather impressed with the accuracy of "right out of the box" rifle/ammo. I wonder if "Winchester" actually uses "Win-760" in these rounds as I've attached a pic (right-side) of 44.8 grains of what appears to be Win-760. On the left is pic from National Center for Forensic Science site. According to latest edition Hornady reloading, 6.5 CM data reflects the following powders in the "safe range" of 44.8: Superformance, Hybrid 100V, Win760, Power Pro 4000 MR, Sta-ball 6.5. I ruled all out except "Superformance and Win760" which resemble "flattened balls/irregular".

I am aware that Winchester does not disclose (as well as other manufacturers) their loads, nor would they rely on a reloading manual but I'm so curious as to what this powder is!

Win760 & ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win760.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	291939

Superformance

Name:	Hodgdon-Superformance.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	291940

group

Name:	IMG_8692.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	291941
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Banned
    powder in a factory cartridge can be anything. As they dont need to state loading data for it, they are happily using loads that would violate established loading data.

ive shot reloads with powder x, noticed a peculiar smell to them, and then when shooting factory ammunition in other calibers realized the same smell.

But why use that factory bullet, its designed to have random weight retention. IE one shot it could have 70% of the bullet tay in one piece, while the next shot only 40% stays in one piece

Boolit Buddy
    In my reading over the years OEM's will use the lowest cost powder for the job at hand. They will adjust the load based on the characteristics of the powder once tested and go from there. Never assume from a visual inspection, smell, color, or physical measurements that powder "X" is powder "Y". This is why many that shoot and buy a box or two a year and check their rifle in the Fall are making adjustments.

Boolit Buddy
    In my reading over the years OEM's will use the lowest cost powder for the job at hand. They will adjust the load based on the characteristics of the powder once tested and go from there. Never assume from a visual inspection, smell, color, or physical measurements that powder "X" is powder "Y". This is why many that shoot and buy a box or two a year and check their rifle in the Fall are making adjustments.

Also keep in mind that Handloader's use canister grade powders where the OEM's do not.

Boolit Master

The factories don't want or need to pay for canister powders. They buy in large quantities and do not need powder that is blended to meet a canister grade specification. If their next purchase of powder is slightly faster or slower than the previous one they will adjust the load as needed.

The powder factories follow a recipe to make powder of a given range of speed. After testing each batch they will sell to ammunition makers to use as is or blend various batches for use as canister grades. Those blended batches are then given a lot number and sold as canister powders.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your input! I agree now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Well whatever recipe it is, it works well cuz at 70 yards approximately it looked like this after drilling through the neck bone of a deer.

No exit wound but was right under hide on opposite side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk