Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Willis sizer?

Boolit Master

Willis sizer?

can a willis sizer for mag calibers be used on loaded ammo or must they be disassembled?

Boolit Buddy
    If you go to the web site you will find it is not recommended.

Boolit Master
    Okay, you got me to web search the Willis die and now I remember about it. It has been so long since I heard anything about Mr. Willis' collet type body sizer for belted magnums that I had totally forgotten about it. (That die seems to be the perfect answer to very few questions!)

Anyway, IMHO, it should be perfectly safe to body size a loaded round in that die; I can't see any way for it to set off a primer and it can't possibly affect a seated bullet. BUT, I agree with the maker's advisement to not do it because it would be such an interesting (and possibly messy) event if a cartridge did go off inside a die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Okay, you got me to web search the Willis die and now I remember about it. It has been so long since I heard anything about Mr. Willis' collet type body sizer for belted magnums that I had totally forgotten about it. (That die seems to be the perfect answer to very few questions!)

Anyway, IMHO, it should be perfectly safe to body size a loaded round in that die; I can't see any way for it to set off a primer and it can't possibly affect a seated bullet. BUT, I agree with the maker's advisement to not do it because it would be such an interesting (and possibly messy) event if a cartridge did go off inside a die.
    If a cartridge "Went Off" in the die one would have a very "Short Barreled" firearm. Round would go ^ UP ^ from the die; die holder would keep brass from expanding. If one were looking down at the projectile would probably be Fatal. If it "Went Off" from a standard Bench mounted press - there would be a hole in the ceiling. Potential penetration into a 2nd floor if in basement or 2 story house. Range and energy would probably be short/low as the gases escape when projectile leaves the neck and prevent a good burn of powder in the case.

Being older - and - wanting to live longer; I would use a bullet puller then reassemble the round after resizing the brass around the belt.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-28-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.