Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Recommendations - Old West .22 RF Rifle

Boolit Buddy
    The new guns aspect is valid, however, there is a role for old, worn firearms also. I discussed this with a director for a movie that I worked on last fall. The time period was 1880 in a small, remote mountain mining town. I convinced the director that it would be entirely appropriate to have some C&B revolvers used by miners and a variety of cartridge conversion revolvers along with a few "modern" SAA's, Schofields, and 1875 Remingtons. The reasoning was that miners weren't flush with money and a cartridge conversion would run about $7. whereas a new SAA would be in the vicinity of $25. The C&B's and the cartridge conversions were aged and the SAA's and others not necessarily so.

Yes, it depends on the year the movie is depicting, and the age of the guns used. Obviously if it's 1880's and you have Navy or Army Colts they'd be 20 years old or more, so wear would be expected. But if the era is 1880's and you want 1880's guns, they better be brand new!

Boolit Master

What's the context in the script that calls for a .22? Maybe I'm off base a little, but I THINK the small game / pest control role was mostly filled in that period by things like the .32 and .38 Ballard rounds. Maybe down as low as .25, but I believe the .22 Short was not long in the rifle world by '85.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    What's the context in the script that calls for a .22? Maybe I'm off base a little, but I THINK the small game / pest control role was mostly filled in that period by things like the .32 and .38 Ballard rounds. Maybe down as low as .25, but I believe the .22 Short was not long in the rifle world by '85.
    Neither was the .22LR. It was almost all .22 Long back then.
    In reality I bet a huge number of small game hunters still used an old small caliber percussion ML too.

Boolit Buddy
    The script wouldn't necessarily call for a .22 but rather a scene calling for a youngster out hunting for small game. I figured that a .22 would be the cheapest cartridge round available at the time. The camera would not detect if a short, long, or LR, or if the rifle was actually a small caliber centerfire like a 32 WCF or 25-20 or something similar. Kind of leaning toward a rolling block at this point due to availability and price point.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    The script wouldn't necessarily call for a .22 but rather a scene calling for a youngster out hunting for small game. I figured that a .22 would be the cheapest cartridge round available at the time. The camera would not detect if a short, long, or LR, or if the rifle was actually a small caliber centerfire like a 32 WCF or 25-20 or something similar. Kind of leaning toward a rolling block at this point due to availability and price point.
    The cheapest would have been a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun. Any cartridge (at the time) would have been relatively expensive in comparison. Kids guns are mostly a later concept. Old Yeller got that part correct; however, the Travis Coates used a Trapdoor Springfield for an 1860 setting so not so much. Surplus civil war rifles or any muzzleloader would have been mostly like a young person's first firearm but they would have first learned on the family firearm if they had one.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-27-2021 at 12:26 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The cheapest would have been a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun. Any cartridge (at the time) would have been relatively expensive in comparison. Kids guns are mostly a later concept. Old Yeller got that part correct; however, the Travis Coates used a Trapdoor Springfield for an 1860 setting so not so much. Surplus civil war rifles or any muzzleloader would have been mostly like a young person's first firearm but they would have first learned on the family firearm if they had one.
    For that particular movie we ended up using a double barreled, exposed hammer shotgun that was supposed to be a family gun. No attempt was made to even hint at any "youth gun" concept. Brass dummy shells were featured.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    For that particular movie we ended up using a double barreled, exposed hammer shotgun that was supposed to be a family gun. No attempt was made to even hint at any "youth gun" concept. Brass dummy shells were featured.
    Which movie are your referring too?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Which movie are your referring too?
    To be released in the U.S. on December 10. Titled "The Last Son".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilcySbvmP8&t=2s

Boolit Master

Poking through descriptions in my Blue Book. Looks like the No.2 Rolling Block is probably your baby. Production dates between 1873 & 1909. "Available in many rimfire calibers between .22 and .38, as well as several centerfire calibers between .22 and .38-40 WCF"

The Uberti Baby appears to be a pretty fair replica, & one in .357 would look technically correct if considering the old .38 RF rounds, be easy for blanks. . .and you get to play with it afterwards.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Poking through descriptions in my Blue Book. Looks like the No.2 Rolling Block is probably your baby. Production dates between 1873 & 1909. "Available in many rimfire calibers between .22 and .38, as well as several centerfire calibers between .22 and .38-40 WCF"

The Uberti Baby appears to be a pretty fair replica, & one in .357 would look technically correct if considering the old .38 RF rounds, be easy for blanks. . .and you get to play with it afterwards.
    I've got a rolling block action on order. Thinking of maybe building a 32-20. The Uberti would be fine too, just watching my pennies on this one plus availability of anything specific at this point is problematic. I do plan to play with whatever comes up unless it's strictly a non-shooter to be used as a non-functional prop gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to pick up a couple of Stevens Favorites 1894. A little late for 1880 but might work in a pinch. The Rolling Block action is a Belgian manufactured variation of a takedown in a 32 rimfire. I'll probably rework it a bit to .32-20 centerfire. Thinking of an octagonal barrel. Haven't decided on sights yet. Will work on that after I get a few missing pieces either located or made.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12