Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Recommendations - Old West .22 RF Rifle

Boolit Buddy

Looking for Recommendations - Old West .22 RF Rifle

I'm looking for recommendations for a 1885 or earlier model (old or new made) .22 rifle for movie use. Of course the cheaper the better as most movie set users are not very considerate in care of firearms (so no rare/highly collectible varieties). Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations for a 1885 or earlier model (old or new made) .22 rifle for movie use. Of course the cheaper the better as most movie set users are not very considerate in care of firearms (so no rare/highly collectible varieties). Any suggestions?
    When you narrow it down to pre 1885, it makes the number you choose from much smaller too! They did make a #1 full sized Rolling Block in .22 rimfire, but the smaller #1 1/2, #2, #4, #6 are all post 1885. Ballard had their little #3 in .22 rimfire from 1875 on to the end in 1890, and virtually unchanged for the most part during it's entire life.
    Maynards were also in .22 rimfire.
    The issue is if these are going to be manhandled by those who wont take care with them, you're jeopardizing valuable firearms in every case. So might be best to purchase a newly made Pedersoli #2 and hope the viewers don't know they were originally made a bit after 1885.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks.Thus far a Mini Sharps (Chiappa) seems to be one of the few things being made. Of course no one has any at the moment...

Luckily, I don't have a script that calls for one at the moment either .

Boolit Master
    Did Stevens make a Tip-Up rifle in .22 Long, or did they come later? That design would look appropriate for the 1880's.

Boolit Grand Master

The Mini Sharps never existed until very modern times.

The Hopkins-Allen are sold out at C Sharps
    http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detai...-sold-out.html

Gunbrokers has several but currently only one listed

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/915746240

The Stevens would be a good choice.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...avorite-no-17/

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913958216

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/915831776

https://www.gunbroker.com/Single-Sho...ens%20favorite

And my personal favorite Winchester 1885 Highwalls and Low Walls

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916359617 This one is very interesting with the additional sights.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916142475

rollers

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910638733

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911109029
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-20-2021 at 03:43 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the references! I believe the Steven's are technically post 1885 but they might work okay. Certainly less expensive than the Hopkins-Allen (it is nice though).

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the references! I believe the Steven's are technically post 1885 but they might work okay. Certainly less expensive than the Hopkins-Allen (it is nice though).
    For the Favorites I believe that is correct however they were making other models before 1885.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens_Arms
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

The Stevens Tip Up models would date to the pre 1885 era. At least they did make some prior to 1885. But a Tip Up today is also a collectible model, and even a beater wont be cheap.

Probably the Frank Wesson rifle or even a Frank Wesson bicycle gun would fit your needs. They usually do not bring tons of money at sale, are breach loading, rim fire guns in different calibers, 22-44 designed in 59 and built in 59-88. You could find a 32 and claim it was a 22 in a film, no one would know the difference.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Probably the Frank Wesson rifle or even a Frank Wesson bicycle gun would fit your needs. They usually do not bring tons of money at sale, are breach loading, rim fire guns in different calibers, 22-44 designed in 59 and built in 59-88. You could find a 32 and claim it was a 22 in a film, no one would know the difference.
    And there are (or recently were) crimp style 32 blanks available for nail guns. I don’t know what the script will call for and how close the shot (showing the loading of the gun) will be, but this may be your cheapest option for a good early style gun such as a boy might use squirrel hunting, etc. Thirty two rim fires are about as cheap as anything out there and more so with a poor bore… which will have no effect on your intended use. You may also find 25 rf examples and likewise use 25 cal crimped blanks intended for nail guns.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll expand my search list!

Boolit Master

If you are making a movie that takes place before 1885 you will need a gun that looks almost new. Also the 22LR didn't come out til 1884 ( 22 short 1857 and long 1871).

Boolit Buddy
    Funny thing about new looking guns. It seems that most directors have this idea that old west firearms should look well worn. I've tried to convince some of them that there were new firearms being used and have had mixed success...

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Are you sure you want a real one ? Some one with no firearms experience or knowledge of proper gun safety might shoot their self or someone else. Seems like this happened recently.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm aware of the Rust situation and have my own opinions on that. I've worked as an armorer on multiple movies and the failures on Rust all along the way are abysmal. That being said, for a variety of reasons I do think that there is value to having real firearms on set at least for certain scenes. HOWEVER, as with any firearm use proper safety measures MUST be in place.

Really there weren’t many pre 1885 22 rimfire rifles except a few that shot the short black powder rimfire cartridges. The Winchester M 1873 was chambered in 22 but not until 1884 I believe and I am sure there are probably plenty of 1873 prop guns.
    I read the lever action gun that John Wayne had on the raft in the movie Rooster Cogburn was a plastic Daisy BB gun and no one knew the difference. I owned one that was a model of a M 1894 lever rifle and it looked pretty real at a distance. Maybe a old flobert rifle they were around before 1885 and were rimfires ?

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 11-22-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Master

With the modern technology in movie making there is no need to have a real gun when filming.

Boolit Master
    The Ethan Allen falling blocks started manufacture in the late 1860’s, IIRC. The ones I’ve seen were all in rimfire calibers, and I saw one once in .22 Long. Really nice shape, and even had the little square wrench for the takedown screw still in the sliding-door storage cavity in the buttstock.

Something as weird looking as that rifle would no doubt make itself a movie star in its own right, like the Sharps rifle in Quigley Down Under, the Nautilus in the 20,000 Leagues movie and the time machine in the movies of that name.

I think John makes a very good point about the condition of guns used in movies. I always chuckle when I watch a western and all the guns look 100 years old. It's supposed to be period or era correct, and all the guns should look like the new guns they actually had then!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I think John makes a very good point about the condition of guns used in movies. I always chuckle when I watch a western and all the guns look 100 years old. It's supposed to be period or era correct, and all the guns should look like the new guns they actually had then!
    Same of a lot of the buildings. Historically they should only be a couple of years old.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast