Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Gaep

Gaep

Hello all. I've been looking over the GAEP loaders and would like the advice of any of you that have one and the pros and cons of one model over the others. At the moment I'm looking at the VS-850 but wondering if the 4 station is over kill for my needs as I'm not a high volume shooter. I just like the beautiful crimps these machines seem to make on new primed hulls. Opinions please. Gp

This tool is not going to pay for itself unless you are a high volume shooter. They are nice and you are a "Gear Head" so you might get some use from it, but it ain't gonna pay for itself using like you would..

The other thing you can do is buy one of their Roll Crimping Tools for $50 or so, and finish your existing crimps with that which should yield the same results. I do alot of my shotshell loads like that, and you have a drill press? right?

Before I spent that kind of money on another tool, I'd have a few drinks and talk myself out of it.

Leon has used their crimping tools and has some experience with them.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Before I spent that kind of money on another tool, I'd have a few drinks and talk myself out of it.

Randy
    How do you do that?

I have tried that and always end up talking myself INTO it. Like here, GP take a look:

https://www.omvshop.com/shop/smart-box/

I also looked at Gaep, many times. But I don't need a full blown system... or do I...?

Boolit Grand Master
    Why buy something for new primed hulls? All of them seem to be eurotrash hulls that have little life anyway.

If you want excellent crimps, the best machines are the PW's with the taper crimp. Mine (800+) makes a better crimp than the Spolar I had. And you can use good hulls.

I also have two PW375's I got used, and you can add this kit on the old machines:
    https://www.reloaders.com/collection...aper-crimp-kit

Seems like a lot of money and time to me.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    How do you do that?

I have tried that and always end up talking myself INTO it. Like here, GP take a look:

https://www.omvshop.com/shop/smart-box/

I also looked at Gaep, many times. But I don't need a full blown system... or do I...?
    Thanks for the replies guys. Well, as an explanation to my post I'm one of those odd folks who actually enjoys the reloading more than the shooting and the tools involved in the process. If we're talking dollars ,it would just make more sense to go to Walmart and buy the economy packs. Yes, as Randy mentioned buying the finish crimping tool is likely the best option. Petander, That is also a very good looking reloading option and with the options I scanned in about $200US less expensive than the 850 GAEP. Don, I too have a couple of PW 375s (12&20) and they are fine reloading tools. I also have collection (accumulation) of old shotgun presses, Pacifics, Texans, Mecs and a few other oddballs. It's more about the kid looking at the Christmas catalog I guess. I believe I'll do as Randy suggested and just try the finish crimp tool on the drill press and have money left over for that new Red Rider. Thanks for the opinions friends. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Well, as an explanation to my post I'm one of those odd folks who actually enjoys the reloading more than the shooting and the tools involved in the process. If we're talking dollars ,it would just make more sense to go to Walmart and buy the economy packs.
    I enjoy both but my economical reasoning is the same: reloading is a separate hobby. Hobbies cost money. Where I live, reloading 9 mm costs more than ammo. Even with free bullets. But now that I learned coatings and get good bullets from a Mihec 8-banger, I bought a Dillon Square Deal 9mm last year , and I enjoy reloading with it very much. Accurate,beautiful ammo.

Things don't always need to make sense.

Now I'll fry some eggs, then load anothet 20 gauge Zveroboy test batch.After measuring the powder manually, I seat the corks with a Texan press. Then drop the slug/wad combo in and smile while turning the nice roll crimp with OMV machine. It makes pretty fold crimps,too.

I then go shoot groups and chrono the loads.

Sense? No. Fun? Yes!

Boolit Master
    There's a video showing prototypes of the Gaep and Idiogomasi (?) that are mounted to a drill press. It seems possible to use a drill press, hacksaw, and taps with Gaep's crimp heads to get good results.

I use PW and MEC to reload with a taper crimp with recycled hulls. Might try Gaep parts for the challenge.

The crimp is the secret to consistent ignition and velocities.

Boolit Master
    I took a look at them a while back but came to the conclusion that I probably would not use it enough to justify both the cost and piling up unused machinery . If I used factory new hulls without a crimp already formed only role crimping I'd gave it more consideration . I have talked myself out of ordering the hull trimmer also a few times ....

Boolit Master
    I think it the other way: I don't shoot many slugs so I only want to shoot the best slugs I can possibly make. I'm already bankrupt with this hobby.

Those machines give you nice feel and easily repeatable leverage. And I have a drill press on my living room table next to the piano. Not comparable to the crimping feel.

Also, where I live, primers cost almost the same as new primed hulls so...

I love the GAEP roll crimper and crimp finisher. They make the finished load look really pretty.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I love the GAEP roll crimper and crimp finisher. They make the finished load look really pretty.
    And when you chrono them, it makes you laugh. Very little velocity spread.