MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition Problem with Ramshot Hunter powder

Boolit Master

The neck OD using the collet die should have been listed as 0.3305" not 0.3005". A typo. Meaning I get 0.0005" to 0.001" of neck tension using the Lee Collet Die. Full length indicates around 0.002" neck tension.

Made another discovery this morning. While rechecking the above data, I picked-up a bullet and measured it. The dial caliper indicated 0.305". That's not good. Checked the bullet using another caliper and it read 0.308". While the measurements above may not be accurate, the relative differences should be accurate. Guess I need to check all my calipers. I was making sure that the dial was zeroed before and after measurements.

Just to be sure, I checked some cases using the apparently actual caliper.

The OD of full-length resized cases was 0.334" to 0.335". The OD of loaded rounds was 0.337" to 0.338". Looks like a neck tension of about 0.003". That makes some sense.

Did not want to deprime cases to generate and measure collet sized cases; so I just measured the mandrel. It measured 0.306". So, the neck tension, has to be less that 0.002" on a loaded round. The rounds that I have unloaded were very easy to pull. Don't think there is much neck tension there. Polishing the mandrel to gain a 1000th or so is still a consideration. But, before I do that, I have one more test to do to verify in my mind that it is really a neck tension issue and not a powder and/or primer issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Is the 0.329" outside diameter?

The "approximately 0.3005" has me confused. How & where are you taking the measurement?

Bullet diameter should be .308" The mandrel should be smaller at .306" ?? But after spring back of the brass, will be less neck tension. Not .002"

I had 2 hang-fires or click bangs in over 50 years.

1. Old surplus military 30-06 ammo, a powder problem, from old age.

2. A 22-250- H450 powder- CCI mag primer. Powder started burning & just stopped. Powder was new, but seemed like the heavy coating, to control burn rate, retarted it to much.

Let us know if you find the problem.

Boolit Master

It appears that neck tension is not the reason for the slight hang-fires. Since the collet die is producing only a slight neck tension, I seated ten rounds longer than the distance to the lands and let the bolt seat each round to just touching the lands. Just could feel some resistance as each round was chambered. No room for the bullet to move before a good powder ignition. Well, three out of ten rounds had the slight hang-fire. This is worst that observed in the past. But; it was 37 degrees F. That may be telling me something.

The 500 yard ten shot group was a little strange. First of all, only nine rounds printed. Not a clue as to where the 10th round hit. Nine round extreme spread was 13 1/4". Vertical spread was 12.5" for nine rounds. Horizontal spread was 9.5" for 9 rounds. There were three rounds that seemed to be outside of the general grouping. And, also three slight hang-fires.

The six round general grouping had an extreme spread of 5 3/4". Vertical spread was 5.5" for six rounds. Horizontal spread was 4.5" for 6 rounds. More along the expected results.

The earlier reference IMR 4831 load has produced no hang-fires in a ten shot group and an extreme spread of 6 1/4" at 500 yards. This is with the same primer that I am getting hang-fires with the Ramshot Hunter powder. Don't know the answer yet; but am getting closer.

I am trying to locate enough different brand LRMPs to test.

Hope you find different primers.

Have there been any developments since
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

I am in the same boat. I’m becoming convinced that Hunter doesn’t have good ignition unless it’s close to 100% case capacity or pretty high pressure. I’m shooting 180gr flat base Interlocks and 180gr SSTs in a Tikka 300 Win Mag and I’m seeing published loads from various sources starting as low as 65.5 and max of 73.4. Started working up at 66 and all the way up to 71 gr it was a severe hangfire or even no ignition. Only when I got to 72 gr did I start to get reliable ignition at all. I am not one to push max loads whatsoever and am hesitant to increase my charge from here but I might creep up at .5 gr. Intervals from here. I should say I have seen absolutely no pressure signs at all, I just like my barrels and brass to last a long time.

I’m thinking about ditching it and working up a load for H4831, which I have never had any problems with in any caliber whatsoever.
    Last edited by AviatorTroy; 11-28-2022 at 01:01 AM.
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    I have an 8-pound jug of Ramshot Hunter powder that I am working through. I am loading 300 Winchester Mag rounds. 190 gn Nosler CC and 66.8 gn powder. Have loaded and shot a little over 200 rounds out of the jug. I have noticed that I get a slight hang-fire at times. Seems to occur 1-2 rounds out of a ten shot string. It occurs with both Wolf LRPs and Wolf LRMPs.

Not having any additional primers to test, I have loaded some rounds with IMR 4831. Both Wolf LRPs and Wolf LRMPs have been used in the IMR 4831 loads. There has not been any indication of any hang-fires with either of the Wolf Prime types.

I asked Western Powders about the slight hang-fires and got the the following response:

The powder charge could be underloaded if the bullet is seated out to touch the lands or may not have enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place for proper ignition. The primer may be weaker than it should be. Ball powder is harder to
    ignite than extruded. These are a few issues you may be experiencing.

Load density is 85%; that should be okay. Ogive is about 0.010" inch off the lands. Can't see neck tension being a problem. Chamber pressure should be about 48k psi.

Anyone have any thoughts on why it appears that I am having a problem getting a proper ignition with the Hunter powder? Guess it could be the Wolf primers.
    I went to mg primers, no more problem lighting ball powder.

Boolit Grand Master

With the wolf or the Russian primers magnum indicates a thicker cup and not a hotter primer. Ball powders tends to be harder to ingnite so magnum primers are recommended.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    .223 load experience.
    WC 846 Ball Powder
    Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers
    Slight Hang fire on around 30%
    Changed to CCI 400 no Hang fires

IMR 3031 Stick Powder
    Wolf Small Rifle Magnum
    No Hang fires

I now use Wolfs with my non Ball Powders

By the way I am using Magnum primers, so that’s not it. I still think it’s the load density. I loaded up a few with a tuft of Dacron to keep the powder tight against the primer and those had no problems. But we are talking about elk hunting with a .300WM, not light cast bullet loads so that’s not an acceptable long term solution. Moving to a different powder
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Boolit Buddy
    I think Troy has it. Go up in charge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12