MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 6,000lbs Soft & Hard Lead: Printing Business Sale Nov 20, 2021 in Topeka, KS

Boolit Master

Exclamation 6,000lbs Soft & Hard Lead: Printing Business Sale Nov 20, 2021 in Topeka, KS

Public Service Announcement! There is a business liquidation on EstateSales.net with ~6,000 lbs of hard and soft lead alloy in downtown Topeka, KS on Saturday, November 20th, 2021.

I couldn't imagine a better opportunity for boolit casters.

I am in no way affiliated with this sale - only wish I could attend - helping to spread the word. Link below.

https://www.estatesales.net/KS/Topeka/66607/3108825

@mods, hope I posted in the right place; feel free to move as needed.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

WAY too far away....dammit...

Boolit Master
    Hot dang I would drive a couple of days for that.

Boolit Grand Master

It would have to be cheap to be worth it. Maybe if you had a 1 ton truck, or a nice heavy duty trailer, and I have neither. A U haul, plus gas would have to be $600-$800.

Boolit Buddy
    Forty miles from me and I have a truck that'll haul but not much interest. Do you suppose the 'hard' lead is lino? Can anyone identify from pics? Advise...

This was the one that caught my eye.

I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    looks like lino ingots and ingots that are used to refresh the alloy, for some reason I think “empire”.

the whole thing looks like someone owned a building and collected stuff over many years. Would love to get into some of the tools.

Boolit Buddy
    The long one on the far left should be a 21 pound ingot of linotype, but no way of knowing for sure in a picture. That opinion is based on my experience with buying from print shops about 30 years ago. Is the rest Lino? Nobody knows without testing

Dude, 40 miles? They show over 6,000 pounds of lead, and do say hard and soft. No press, guess they sold that off before auction. And there is a lot of lead in the cast letters. I'm 400 miles and no heavy truck..... Would be nice to be local.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It would have to be cheap to be worth it. Maybe if you had a 1 ton truck, or a nice heavy duty trailer, and I have neither. A U haul, plus gas would have to be $600-$800.
    Yes, it sure would have been nice if they mentioned a per lb price...as least a "target" price.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I will be driving through Topeka next wednesday, I wonder if they will still have some of that lead, I could only get a couple hundred pounds though as I'll be in a SUV, but still.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I will be driving through Topeka next wednesday, I wonder if they will still have some of that lead, I could only get a couple hundred pounds though as I'll be in a SUV, but still.
    Will you have the family with you? Spread it around the floor boards and there is no reason you couldn't haul 500-600 lbs or more depending on the model.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Forty miles from me and I have a truck that'll haul but not much interest. Do you suppose the 'hard' lead is lino? Can anyone identify from pics? Advise...
    I mean, I'm only guessing at this point, but I'd assume it has to be linotype. If anyone is interested in brokering a deal, the sale page may have contact info. Maybe interested parties could contact the seller directly.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Master
    It’s a printing company so I think it’s a really good bet that the hard lead is type metal of some sort.

That picture GhostHawk posted is captioned “Plus Metal…”, so JimB is right: extra tin and antimony above the standard 4% and 12% in that batch.

Too bad it’s a 3500 mile round trip for me and that I don’t have a truck or trailer up to the job.

Boolit Master
    A little lino goes a long way. You need tin and pure to make it into Lyman #2 and then more pure to cut it for softer alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

It would have been a nice haul for someone. I was at Deer Camp on that date but I didn't need it. But some of that "plus metal" would have been nice to have. Oh yeah, I have a truck and trailer that would haul it. It looks like 500 miles and 7 hours from me. It would have made a nice overnight road trip for me and the Wife.