Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal strips in buckets of linotype.

Metal strips in buckets of linotype.

Mixed into the linotype buckets I bought are not linotype.
    The strips are of varying length but real thin. They bend without breaking. They are the same width as the type metal.
    Any one have an idea of what type of metal they are?
    I thought they might be tin.
    Big Bore = 45+

Kinda hard to say without seeing them and recognizing what they may have been intended for.

A quickie way to get a good idea is if you have a thermometer, watch what temperature they melt at.
    A search for 'metal melting points', click---images, and all sorts of charts pop right up.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-18-2021 at 10:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a very good chance those strips (called leading) are linotype alloy. I own a small printing company and used to operate a Linotype in the 70s/80s. I regularly had to use leading to adjust the spacing between the lines of type. Some years ago, I replied to a similar post and at that time, I contacted the company where I used to purchase my leading. I asked them specifically what type of alloy they used to manufacture the strips . . . they told me they used linotype alloy.
    Last edited by Fritz D; 11-18-2021 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Grand Master

The strips are spacers. They are made of whatever was convenient. Often depleted Lino, but nothing is certain.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    When I worked in printing and did typesetting by hand those were the spacers used between the lines of type and they were plain soft lead. We seldom used the linotype machine to make spacers since it was a waste of linotype lead and really just a waste of time when we had galleys full of spacers and just about any print shop that did manual typesetting had packages of spacer leads in all of the thicknesses from 1 pt. up to 18 pt.. The packages were 3 or 4 foot long pieces? Been just a little while since I did that soo hard to remember. There was a cutter just for cutting them to lengths you needed.

Picture of Strips

Here is a picture of the meal strips. They do not melt when they are in the pot with molten linotype.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211119_161009.jpg  
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    They don’t melt sitting in molten lino? Strange. Doesn’t seem to be type metal after all. Even more so not tin. Maybe aluminum?

Just about all the boolit caster friendly metals and alloys will melt in a propane torch flame (though a sizable chunk will act as a heat sink and take longer). You could try that (not over your pot) with each strip to see if they’re all the same and whether any might be salvageable type metal spacers.

Boolit Master
    The strips I've seen appear to be steel.They certainly didn't melt.

Boolit Mold
    I have had the same experience with these thin strips of metal. I can not say for sure that all of the wont melt, but I fish out quite a few every time I melt down some lino. This is lino from Norway

I have about 25 to 30 pounds of them.
    I guess they will go in my recycle group. I still have to collect more before I take them to make it worth while. I guess I need to check them with a magnet.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    DO NOT assume the strip (leading) spacers are anything but a rather soft lead. They did not need to be hard like the type faces that pounded the paper thousands and thousands of times. They only held the spaces between the rows of type when the printer's devil set the type. I have three old antique presses and dozens and dozens of full COMPLETE type faces (6pt to 120pt) to go with them. The hundreds of leading strips I have are soft lead (6-7 hardness). Nothing compared with the mono and foundry type letters I use to actually print with. Print houses many times made their own extruded leading strips and used anything lying around & it went into the pot.

You can count on the hardness of mono and foundry type but not the strips of leading. Even lino can vary greatly, depending on if it is depleted of Sn or not. Treat strips as softer lead. Or in later days they I guess they did use steel. Never seen any in my MANY years of dealing with settable type.

Boolit Master
    Those you picture are common lead spacers and are soft lead. Keep in mind that soft lead melts at a higher temp than linotype. Quite a bit higher. If you run your temp up to 650 they will melt in just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Those you picture are common lead spacers and are soft lead. Keep in mind that soft lead melts at a higher temp than linotype. Quite a bit higher. If you run your temp up to 650 they will melt in just fine.
    If they were pure lead, wouldn't they have turned grey? Plus I can't just rip them in half.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    When you said they bend without breaking, is there any spring back? I’d expect that in steel, where soft lead would stay deformed. Steel also wouldn’t be easily scratched, and, unless it’s stainless, should get up close and personal with a magnet.

Boolit Master
    There are steel strips, They are either perforation strips for putting perforations on the paper you are printing or cutters for cutting. I did a lot of that with label printing. They are .918" high and they are black steel, very springy and hard to permanently bend. What you show in that picture is definitely lead spacer, I can tell just from the color and pattern on the side. They are also the soft lead from the foundry and not the linotype, again, from the pattern.

Boolit Grand Master

They are spacers and they are made of anything convenient. Guessing what is just that. Guessing.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Well they are not steel, unless they are stainless. But there is no spring back when they are bent. I
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    Well they are not steel, unless they are stainless. But there is no spring back when they are bent. I
    I would not worry about it. Some print shop found some strips of metal that were perfect size and height/width for leading spacers and used them.

Boolit Master
    Those are spacers when used to make columns on the type design on any place the Lino Operator needs them. The length Varies but width is constant to match the galley . They are mot made to be remelted but cut and sent to scrap when finished
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

They do melt by using a torch. I have to wait a few days before I can fire up my smelter due to weather and other things going on.

I will make a few ingots and then see if it will blend with pure lead.
    Big Bore = 45+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast