Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk Bean Bags and other Non Lethal Payloads.!

Just had another thought; Has anyone done Solid Wax Boolits for Shotgun Slugs. Maybe Lee Slugs cast from wax?

I have heard of dumping some of the shot out and filling the rest with Molten Wax. They call them "Poor Mans Slugs?" But not solid wax boolits like is done for Revolver Practice Rounds.

Any experience with anything like this. I was looking at a old thread that got brought back up talking about Wax Boolits for handgun practice. Seems like it could work for Shotgun Practice Rounds or maybe some low grade deterrence?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Just had another thought; Has anyone done Solid Wax Boolits for Shotgun Slugs. Maybe Lee Slugs cast from wax?

I have heard of dumping some of the shot out and filling the rest with Molten Wax. They call them "Poor Mans Slugs?" But not solid wax boolits like is done for Revolver Practice Rounds.

Any experience with anything like this. I was looking at a old thread that got brought back up talking about Wax Boolits for handgun practice. Seems like it could work for Shotgun Practice Rounds or maybe some low grade deterrence?

Randy
    Instead of wax, you can simply use a wad. It's been years since I did this, but take a primed case, I'd use a strong primer like a Federal 209a, then put in a lead shot wad... backwards. I seem to recall best results with Remington wads, although I'd think a Winchester would be just as good. They fly good enough for fun stuff at close range from a smooth bore, and are surprisingly accurate from a rifled barrel. Believe it or not, they will kill birds. I don't remember if I cut the crimps off or not, but for sure do NOT crimp the shells. You want everything as loose as can be so the wad flys right out with no resistance.

Never tried just wax but the "Poor man slugs" work well. I wouldn't call them anywhere near nonlethal though. Gp

As someone who uses LTL munitions professionally - don't. A firearm constitutes deadly physical force and the court will eat you alive as a civilian using such ammo in a real situation. It means that you yourself didn't believe you had the right to use deadly physical force, same as the famous, "just shoot 'em in the leg!" argument. Now if you want to make some for grins and giggles, or to drive wildlife off property that you have no intention/legal ability to hunt, why not? But for "riot control" as a civilian, no, at least with my knowledge of the laws in MY area - yours will, of course, differ.
    Also, pepper spray and TASER also considered LTL, not non-lethal, as people have died from one, the other, or both, notably two I know of who were "ignited" by TASER, one after being soaked with petroleum based propellant pepper spray. That was why we had to ditch the LE Bodyguard 10 and go to Sabre Red and now Phantom.
    Rubber buckshot is the same as our stingballs from a 37mm launcher, and they work well. The 69 caliber shotgun stingballs, also known as the big rubber rocket ship, are incredibly inaccurate past about 5 FEET.
    If you are going to employ a firearm in self defense, use it appropriately. If you want to employ LTL, use an OC fogger or such. Let the guys with the BIG insurance policies use the LTL products in real life.

I once read the memoires of an avid hunter, can't remember his name. As a kid, he and his brother replaced the shot in a shotshell with a candle (which obviously looked like a projectile) and proceeded to shot the candle right through the door they used for backstop.
    Cap'n Morgan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12