Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankenstein 1860 Conversion

Boolit Buddy

I have a Cimmaron 1872 Mason Richards conversion in 38 caliber. I load 38 Specials. The gun shoots great! Might be a better candidate to convert to 32-20?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    I have a Cimmaron 1872 Mason Richards conversion in 38 caliber. I load 38 Specials. The gun shoots great! Might be a better candidate to convert to 32-20?
    I've got a couple of the 1872 Cimarrons and I agree that they are nice. Relative cost of converting an 1872 vs. a 1860 C&B was the driving factor. A C&B cylinder is much cheaper to replace than a cartridge cylinder should a mistake occur as are barrels.

Boolit Mold
    36g, I'm really interested in that 1862 Pocket Police Conversion. I've been thinking about making my Uberti 1862 PP convertible to 380 acp. Have you given that caliber conversion any thought?
    It seems to me that the barrel diameter discrepency could be resolved by electroplating with a thick 0.007" hard chrome layer to reduce the bore to approximately 0.355". Diameter of the front half of the chambers could be reduced with approximately an 0.008" chrome layer to allow use of .380, 9mm, or .38Sp cast bullets with the c&b cylinder (I haven't finalised on that chrome chamber thickness yet). I was thinking the conversion ring, loading gate, and firing pin could resemble a miniaturised Kirst .45 acp ring and gate.

(I really like the Kirst .45acp conversion on my Uberti 1860 Army)

Boolit Mold
    36g, on the 1862 Police conversion is it Uberti or Pietta?
    How much wall thickness do you have between the chambers and the ouside wall on the cylinder aft of the rebate?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12