RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming .32-20 (.32 WCF) Brass

Boolit Buddy

Forming .32-20 (.32 WCF) Brass

New to the forum but not new to firearms, reloading, bullet casting.

With the current brass availability situation, one is led to some unusual means sometimes. With the acquisition of a Cimarron '73 Winchester in .32-20 the need for ammo arose. Loaded ammo - good luck, unobtainium. Once-fired or new brass - likewise. Loading dies - available. Solution - 7.62 Nagant Revolver brass.

Process - run Nagant brass through FL sizer die, trim to length, inside and outside ream to remove any flashing, and load. My first loads were very light using 100 gr. cast LFP. Will work up some loads as time permits.

Range time - brass worked very well. Only major difference in Nagant brass and factory .32-20 brass is slightly reduced rim thickness and diameter. Extractor grabbed rim reliably, no pressure signs, case neck sealed well with no gas blowby towards rim.

Boolit Master

Nice report on an interesting result. I was prepared to doubt that you were of this galaxy, being able to source an oddity like the Nagant brass, but I find it all over at what is now a reasonable price. There was a thread here about making 310 Cadet cases from the PPU Nagant case.

As a forward looking, prudent stockist (no, not a hoarder!), I believe I will lay in a supply. Thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master
    Now I definitely know that I have come full circle!!!! I made Nagant brass from 32-20 for 20 years!!
    Excellent idea though if you have surplus Nagant around!
    I am reminded of a fella that was making 30-40 brass from 35 WCF.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shoot NAGANT AMMO in mine, and it fire forms when done.

Boolit Buddy
    Where are you guys finding nagant brass? I used to make it from 32-20...and was about to try to form it from 223 brass to get it long enough for the gas seal.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Powder Valley or Graf and Sons...

Boolit Grand Master

Star Line makes 32-20 brass, I have no idea if they have any in stock at the moment, but it is standard for them to make it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Starline and Winchester both appear to be unobtainable at the moment.

Interesting.

I'm using an excess of Starline 32-20 to form 310 Cadet by trimming to 1.120" and giving a quick sand on the base to stop extraction problems due to the thicker base.

I did the sizeable trim using a step-drill. Yeah, I'm a monster haha, but at least it got a good deburr afterward.

Fave load for both is a 78gn .314 roundnose with 1cc Trailboss for 1250fps.

- boingk

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using a tubing cut off saw that works pretty well to do the gross trimming followed by a traditional case trimmer. It is a bit underpowered and you need to watch your fingers but it will cut to close length and then finish with regular case trimmer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The table and adjustable length gauge help tremendously.

Boolit Bub

Things are lookin' mighty tough when you can't even get .32-20 brass.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    it's a sign of what is comming, you can be sure!!

Boolit Buddy
    Was able to find a couple of bags of new .32-20 brass at the local farm supply store a few weeks ago so there are some supplies actually getting out.

Boolit Master
    I have used NAGANT brass for years and not a HICCUP using it. I use them in my S&W revolver also.

Boolit Master

I am curious why your doing all this. Gun Broker has loads of 32-20 brass for about 40 cents a pop.

Boolit Master
    I use Nagant brass for my .32 Ideal. Comes up a little short, but the swelling ahead of the base isn’t extreme, and the thin rim still allows function. And it is surprisingly available—a guy at a Gun Show with a table full of bags of common brass (.30-30, .30-06, etc) dragged a bag of Privi Partizan out of the pile and sold it to me at a surprisingly 2019-ish price.

A little off subject, but the .32/20 is a nice little cartridge. I load it for a Contender and in modern steel I can get a 125gr bullet near 2000 fps. I have my barrel boxed up and ready to ship out to get it threaded. I think it'll make a good quiet subsonic round with a can in place.

When I got my barrel I bought 1k brass and at my age that's enough for life.

When I first got the barrel (in a purchase of a grab bag of Contender "stuff" from a coworker) I wondered what I'd use it for. I'd never heard of it. Then I did some research into what it was used for back in the day and now. It was a very interesting read. Back in the day the sedate loads for it were highly thought of for deer and bear. Today I'd want more velocity and bullet weight hence my load that I already mentioned. With us it goes on walks, or did. The Contender barrel was used by the metallic silhouette crowd and the bore is .308 for modern bullet compatibility. They'd lob the bullets in.

If anyone knows anything more about the .32/20 I'm interested in hearing about it.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master

Huntington Die Specialties (HDS) advertises hard to find cases like 32-20 , 25-20 , 8mm Nambu , 32-40 ,284 Winchester and a few other hard to find ... I went to their on-line catalog , checked on the first three and they appear to be in stock ...But said to phone in to place an order ... so they may or may not be in stock . www.huntingtons.com
    Might be a source of brass , I had forgotten about HDS ... I thought they were bought out / up by RCBS ...but evidently HDS remained as seperate business and not part of RCBS .
    I'm going back to site and look at their on-line catalog ... if they are still in business I will be more than happy to buy from them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I realize this is an older thread......

Just wanted to say I talked to Huntington's on the phone recently. They no longer use their website and it is seriously out of date. Like 32 WCF brass many of the items listed there are long out of stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast