Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: My hunting boot recommendation for Rain Forest conditions..

USMC 77, USRA 79

My hunting boot recommendation for Rain Forest conditions..

Morning gentleman....

I just wanted to let folks know about this awesome boot...

https://www.xtratuf.com/xt-m-swngsaw-comp/XESCSA.html

I do not work for these folks or get any sorta anything from them.

I kinda snickered when I got them last year for christmas, but I am a total believer after a year of hard use. They are warm although the temps do not often get below 0 round this part of alaska. the issue here is wet ice and slippery surfaces, as well as sometimes 1 feet of slush. Down in this part of Alaska, we are constantly in a state of what others call Breakup conditions that last throughout the winter. these boots grip well thanks to the blue rubber squares of abrasive mixed in with the rubber. Better then any other boot i have used without cleats. Not only that, but they slip on and off very easily thank God. Nothing worse then needing a wife and a chain to slip outta your wet boots. these things kick off easily and have enough room to slip your bibs into your boot without too much bent over issues.. I dont bend as well as I used to, but these boots are easy to get into and out of. Yes, I still wear cleats on them when i need to walk on glare ice, but they are awesome if you accidentally find yourself on the ice.

they are spendy at just over 200 bucks, but they are an awesome boot for the money and are tested Alaskan Sturdy by yours truly.

Good Luck..

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Well my first season logging on long island just next door to you , I took a pair of leather caulks , lasted 3 months and the toes wore through in the wet and brush , tin pants 3 months with patching and drying every night they would fall off like battery acid had been on them , you do live in a wet area , I remember drinking the water from a spring up high on the cliff above Dova bay in 1987 , Good times .

I got the rubber caulk boots after that , Your cleats are they the slip on rubber strap kind ?

Boolit Buddy
    If I'm not hiking particularly far or steep I've hunted in the Coast Range in Oregon (ie wet) in Muck Chore boots quite a number of times. Keeps me dry.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Well, muck boots are terrible on serious glazed ice in my experience… but great for everything else.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Marcopolo,
    I concur. Thankfully not much of that here where I hunt.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was hunting in the interior, it was staring to get cool so I would usually use my bunny boots. They may be a little more clumsy, but you get used to them. The worst part about them is you get used to kicking things with them and when you switch to break up boots in the spring, you would kick something with them and it would hurt like heck!

I grew up in places like Kodiak Island wearing hip boots. I still have a pair. Converse. When you first get a pair cut the lacings out. You might be tempted to lace them to your calves. If you go overboard you will not get them off. Learn to fold them down to calf boots. Two folds - one to get the loose leg parts down to the more rigid boots. Then a second to reduce that to half. Most of your hiking will be done with them folded. If you need to cross water a single tug on each will turn them back into hip boots.

Jim