RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Break action rifle

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I wanted a very light walking rifle and used pre-WW2 H&R .44-.410 Garden Gun frame as platform and had John Taylor fabricate several barrels to fit, so that I can choose .32-20, .38 Special, .44-40 or .45 Colt, depending upon which revolver is going with me. Still have the .410 shotgun barrel too. With a 20-inch rifle barrel or 26" .410 gun weighs 4 and a half pounds. No pony needed.

Not least expensive option, but no other way to do it this elegantly.

I am delighted with the result.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    It all depends on cost and what you expect. I did a lot of looking at single shots years ago. Ended up with a T/C Contender. Yep, barrels are expensive. There used to be some gunsmiths who would make cheaper barrels. Not sure if any are around these days.

The CVA and Henry are the only two I found available that were cheaper. There were a couple others made but not sure if they are still available (Turkish?). But most did not seem to shoot as well as a Contender.
    Last edited by charlie b; 11-21-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Anyone make a barrel for steel cased 7.62x39 ? I have thousands of rounds of hollow point and soft point . I’d be happy with a H&R/NEF or whatever.
    Last edited by jeffsmith13; 11-21-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Handi in 7.62x39. It shot steel cased OK. I have a hard time believing a ss rifle could be cheaper than even an MGM contender barrel.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Tc compass rifle available online for under $300 , threaded, and online reviews show promise. Bolt action but still cheaper than any barrels , MGM says no steel case for their barrels .
    Last edited by jeffsmith13; 11-22-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    never cared for the H&R Handi's , but that is me
    I have a Encore and that seems to work well
    barrels while not inexpensive come in a multitude of calibers
    and customs barrels caliber choices are almost limitless
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Bub
    If you can find a Savage 219 you will be very happy with it. They are chambered is 22 hornet,25-20,32-20 and 30-30. I have a few of them with several different barrels. Three barrels are rechambered. I have a 22 K Hornet, a 218 Bee, and a 219 Donaldson Wasp. As well as a 30-30 and a 22 Hornet

The CVA/ Begara guns are as nicely done as you can expect for <$350.00 with some decent after market options.Maybe a bit better than their price indicates, very good fitting between the barrel and frame with excellent lockup,good triggers,hinge pins are tight. I have zero interest in Handi rifles never found any attempt by the company to put out a quality product, CVA did.

Boolit Master
    I have an Encore and I love it, but I can totally understand why one would choose a Henry instead: the price is hard to beat for the quality.

If I were to have only one rifle, it would probably be an Encore... buy once, cry once, and barrels can be anything you want. Since I can have more than one, the Henry is for one kind of load and the Encore is for another. Both are accurate with loads they like and both are unfailingly reliable.

There is a lot to be said for a Henry in 357mag which has been reamed to 357Max. Nothing I am interested in hunting world require more.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you have a lathe or know someone with one- a common H&R Topper shotgun can be stubbed for cartridges from 30-30 on down pressure wise. I made a 44-40 from a 12 gauge with a Green Mountain .429" rifled blank and it's been great.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Or if you want a rifle - shotgun combo, John Taylor can fabricate a complete barrel assembly to fit. Not an "inexpensive" job, but well executed for less cost than a new Henry single-shot and you still have the shotgun barrel. The iron shotgun actions don't handle high-pressure rounds, but you can do .45-70, .30-30, .44-40, .45 Colt, .32 H&R, .30 Carbine, etc.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12