Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break action rifle

Break action rifle

With the H&R/ NEF rifles no longer in production is their another option anyone would recommend for a not too expensive single shot ? I want something with wood stock set . I shop the used sections a lot, not much luck there. I may have to buy a Henry, they look fantastic but I’ve never handled or shot one. I have a contender and barrels are over priced.

IIRC, Rossi makes one, but doesn't have a wide choice of chamberings available - I'd much prefer a Henry (YMMV)
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

They come up from time to time on Greybeard Outdoors, but they don’t last long. For what they ask for a used one, you could almost buy a new Henry.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Sounds like a Henry is the way to go, anyone who has shot one please chime in. I’m thinking.243, .308 , or maybe even 350 legend. I’m a short range shooter and enjoy reloading.

Boolit Master
    If you buy a used Henry, make sure it has been thru the recall. The trigger fix they do makes a world of difference. Check their sitet for info on how to spot one that has had the upgrade.

I have one in 44 Mag. I'm not a real big fan as I for some crazy reason like the H&R's better. I'll keep the one I have but won't buy another.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Henry in .357 about a year ago. Bullets touch with certain loads at 50 yards. Groups about 2 1/2" at 100 yards. May be these 73 year old eyes.

I'm thinking about reaming it to .357 Maximum. I reamed a Handi rifle that I had and like the round.

A nephew has a Henry in .44 mag that is a good shooter also.

Boolit Master
    My Henry .357 is a shooter and looks
    great, too! I put Skinners on it.

I'm thinking about adding a 30-30 - a very
    versatile cartridge - short range, plentiful brass -
    ideal for walk-abouts in my area.

Hadn’t even thought about the ‘Ol 30-30 , plentiful brass and bullets for sure. I have a contender pistol in 44 mag and an integral suppressed Ruger 77/44 so I reload a lot of 44 . I really like my HR 45-70 but the price is steep for a used one now a days.
    I love the look of the Henry rifle and I’m a big fan of single shots , not sure why but I really like them . Thanks for the info y’all.

Boolit Master
    Jeff -

Howdy !

CVA makes some. Mine is a .35 Remington " Hunter "

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Buddy
    Jeffsmith, if you're going to do it go big. Get the 45-70. You can load it light or heavy. I have a handi in 45-70. One of my favorites.
    Siamese4570

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	291885
    Have a 45-70

If you have a lathe or know someone with one- a common H&R Topper shotgun can be stubbed for cartridges from 30-30 on down pressure wise. I made a 44-40 from a 12 gauge with a Green Mountain .429" rifled blank and it's been great.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I have a pretty good collection of H&R and NEF. At one point was looking at CVA single shot in .44mag.

But then ran across a pair of H&R .44 mags for sale reasonable. Bought them both. One has wood stock, one camo composite. One got a 2x red Dot sight, the other a 1-5 variable. They were neck and neck from 25 to 75 yards but at 100 dialed up to 5 power the scope dominated.

The scope is just that more precise at longer ranges.

But if I could not find one elsewhere I'd be looking at the CVA.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmith13 View Post
    With the H&R/ NEF rifles no longer in production is their another option anyone would recommend for a not too expensive single shot ? I want something with wood stock set . I shop the used sections a lot, not much luck there. I may have to buy a Henry, they look fantastic but I’ve never handled or shot one. I have a contender and barrels are over priced.
    Seen quite often at LGS are the Skikari rifles which were made/marketed by H&R. Their two main calibres -- at least the ones most seen at shows/shops are .44 Rem Mag and .45-70 -- I believe their model number on these is 155. Kind of (imho) real pleasing to the eye, they even have a built in cleaning rod below their barrels. And... they shoot!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shikari.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	291904

If you can find one of these, it may be the answer to your quest.

Only been to one gun show in my life, I’m probably going to have to change that. I really like the two H&R I have and they shoot well . I wish who ever bought them would crank up production again. Thanks for the replies, I have a better idea of what to look for now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bought a Shikari in 45-70, back in 74 or so. Still have it and shot it last week. Still shoots very well. Cast frame IIRC, so trapdoor level loads only. Did add a 44 mag too. They are not D&T'd for a scope. Too bad they aren't. They made black powder guns that look like the Shikari, but called them the Huntsman IIRC. 45 cal,50 cal, 58 cal and 12 ga. IIRC

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple Henry single shots & like them. That being said, i also have cva single shots & I like them just as well.admittedly the cva’s are not as pretty as the Henry’s they shoot as well or better. The thing I don’t like about the Henry’s is the height you have to mount a scope to clear the hammer. With my 84 year old eyes all my rifles are equipped with scopes.

Boolit Master
    Is there a reason that the T/C Encore is never mentioned in a discussion like this on break open rifles.
    I have three Encores rifles and 8 barrels and find the system very accurate and fun to shoot.All have good triggers and handle very well.I am just curious why the Encores are never discussed or mentioned.

I have a TC Contender and really like it. Never played with the Encore. Barrels for both are the same price for a used H&R complete rifle. I guess those days are gone as the prices are going up with them out of production. I keep shopping for barrels for the H&R and the contender. I will look at the CVA offerings. I may also send a barrel to JES for a rebore . I’d love to have a 45 acp rifle barrel.

Boolit Master
    I HAD a Traditions in 44 mag horabal trigger 12 lbs from the factory, GS could only get it down to 8 lbs.. The reason i got rid of it.
    I now have a Henry. Very good trigger 3 lbs. max. I'm just starting load workup. I went with a Henry scope (20 extra dollars) base and i still had to modify the bottom to clear the sights. The Henry scope base is a copy of a standard Weaver base. Save your money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast