Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Best source for pure tin metal?

Boolit Man

Best source for pure tin metal?

I am out of my tin supply and getting ready to do some first-pass melting of wheel weights along with some other lead alloys I have collected. I've always had good luck adding 1-2% tin to my mix.

I did a search on our Forum Vendor sponsors for purchasing tin and found none. Rotometals is having a 10% discount sale right now which would bring their tin pieces option down to about $25/pound plus shipping.

Where do you guys buy tin when you purchase it? (versus scrounge it which seems to be harder and harder to do)

NB-And I've never understood why it is so expensive...does it have to do with the mining or the processing?

Thanks for any suggestions
    Paul

Boolit Master
    You don’t need pure tin, look for pewter items at goodwill or on craigslist. Some folks do well at garage sales if that’s your thing. That said, you don’t use much and time is money, so buying from roto may be the best answer until you come across some.

Yard Sale/Flee Market pewter. Unfortunately it is something you have search for.

Also, lead free solder is about 95% tin. Probably cost about the same as Roto Metals when all is said and done.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Tin has really gone up in price in recent years. Back in 1974 it was less than $2.50 a pound.
    Tin info; https://www.britannica.com/science/tin

Boolit Master

also keep an eye out for babbit that is very high in tin.. even if it has a percent or 2 of copper... and/or traces of arsenic and antimony.

Boolit Buddy
    With rotometals it is sometimes less expensive to buy "foundry type" ingots and blend, than to buy pure tin. I just checked with one of my sources and, wholesale prices is over $20/lb right this minute for qty's of less than a ton. Lot of it is coming from South America and sitting on a ship or hung up in custom's. At least that's what I'm being told.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I get mt Tin from SeaFab Metals in Casa Grande Az.
    I haven't bought any in a couple of years because I picked up 20 lbs last time.
    I use the Tin to make my own alloys.
    In fact,
    Today I am casting some Patch Boxes for my muzzleloaders out of some Pewter I made out of a couple pounds of tin antimony and some copper.
    The left over Pewter will get reused to make other alloys

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Pm sent.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Man
    PM replied to, thank you.

Boolit Master
    I like Rotometals. Maybe more than some folks want to spend but if you want pure tin and you need to KNOW it's pure tin you'll want a reliable source.
    Pewter and babbit are good but alloy content varies. I've used both but I feel better when I know what I'm working with.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

You can always go to the plumbing supply store and buy lead free solder. At least you won't have shipping added in.
    Big Bore = 45+

post a want to buy in the S&S section, casters tend to grab everything they can when they see it and are willing to help fellow casters too.

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar
    Is the 50/50 bar solder usually pretty much half tin half lead or is there usually small amounts of other metals in there as well?