Reloading UKTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
ADvertise hereInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting temps

Boolit Master
    Here’s how I look at it. Man had been casting lead boolets for roughly 500 years. They certainly didn’t have thermometers or electric pots! I know others will disagree, and that’s fine whatever works for the individual. I have never used a thermometer. I heat my lead/alloy until it becomes liquid. Then I start casting. If I get poor fill out or wrinkle boollets I heat my molds up. If my boolets get to frosty ( by the way frosty boolets shoot just fine) I let the mold cool a little. While I really like the convenience of my 20 pound bottom pour electric pot, but I have cast boolets over a campfire, a barbecue grill, a propane stove, etc. whatever I can get lead/alloy hot enough to become liquid. My boolets all come out the same. I believe some people make a simple task much more complicated than it really needs to be. And that’s perfectly fine, if that’s what works for them that’s what they should do. As for me, if it ain’t broke I have no intention of fixing it.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    flatnose,
    Throw away the thermometer and get a P.I.D., it's the best money a caster can spend! Exact temp control, no guess work, exact temp control, no wide excursions in melt temp, oh, did I mention exact temp control? They're simple to build yourself, there are schematics here:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ller-Schematic

Or check the "Vendor Sponsors" section, HATCH Automation has them pre-assembled.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...TCH-Automation

It takes all the guess work out of temperature control!
    Exactly and it is under way now. My thermometer is correct and I maintained 750 today by adding lead. My boolits were better than ever. I am excited to get the pid and fix this problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12