Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Spotting scope tripod suggestions

Spotting scope tripod suggestions

Well got my phone mount so I can film though my spotting scope and not have to worry about the guy next to me blasting my camera , problem is even with my better filming tripods theirs alot of wobble in the mount head and it makes it a bit of a pain to set up and film. I mean it works but takes a good 15sec or so for it to stop wobbling after I move it

Any suggestions for something a bit more steady ? Preferably under the $50 mark if possible
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I'd get on Amazon, and check out what they have and read some of the reviews with 2-3-4 stars. They'll tell you a lot.
    The shoe and screw thing on top will be universal.
    For $50., you should be able to get a pretty decent one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I welded a "T" shaped base which provides a point of contact (foot) at the three ends of the shape. Drilled & threaded, I screwed an adjustment bolt at the three points for leveling. From the junction of the "T", I welded an arm, raising at a 45 degree angle, back over the long base of the "T" and then welded a flat base, on the end of that, for the spotting scope. This flat base is parallel to the base "T" and drilled for a mounting screw that fits into my scope. I made it heavy on purpose and I can tell you my scope doesn't jiggle around. Because it's so steady, I can really see my hits and the long targets much better. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a used Bogen Manfrotto that I really like. There's a bunch on ebay usually. Before I got that I used to hang a bag of lead shot from the center post hook on my less stable tripod. That worked pretty well but I wasn't moving it anywhere. If you need portable, not so much. Check out the Bogen Manfrotto, they are a little more than the budget you listed but man what a difference for me compared to any other tripod I ever used.

Boolit Master

I have a couple of camera tripods I use. Adjustable legs for uneven ground, and hang a gallon milk jug full of water with a bungee cord in the center of the legs. Use the same arrangement for my chronograph. Works well with both. You can move it easily and quickly.
    Last edited by gbrown; 11-18-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    hawkenhunter50 nailed it. Bogen Manfrotto on ebay. The heavier the better, up to a point. The biggest one might be a little much. Most of the new stuff on amazon and ebay is light weight junk for 35mm or smaller.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Bogen Manfrotto on ebay.

This!

What iPhone mount is that? I have been playing with the idea of putting a wifi enabled security camera down range, but your solution might be easier and cheaper.

Photography is my other hobby, and I agree with the suggestion of a Bogen tripod. There are of course other good tripods out there, but the Bogen's are always a good value.

I just loaded a big beefy Bogen tripod that I use for 8x10 view cameras in my truck for our shooting trip tomorrow. Actually two, one for the chronograph and one for the spotting scope. I have tried the cheap plastic and aluminum tripods from thrift shops for such uses, and I usually just throw them away afterwards as they always fail me.
    Last edited by hporter; 11-18-2021 at 08:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Boolit Master
    bogen manfrotto. if you are thinking that you can get a good tripod for $50.00; GOOD LUCK. go to e-bay and look for something. the drawback to my bogen manfrotto is, that it weights 14#. i use a big kowa spotting scope on it and it dosen't move.

Caldwell front rifle rest, modify the 'head'.
    Whatever!

Water bottle and hang by a short string, not bungee. Free and is 8# and you can drink some if it is hot.