Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionPBcastco
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: SKS Mag Mods to Feed 160gr. Lead Boolets

Boolit Buddy

SKS Mag Mods to Feed 160gr. Lead Boolets

316-165-FN-N5 NOE. Forgot the guys names who designed a heavy bullet with larger forward diameters to suit the SKS's generous chamber dimensions. The original work was done I believe with Lee, this is NOE's version. If anyone has done the work to make this bullet feed from the factory magazine I'd appreciate it if you'd share what work was needed. Just looking at it with a single dummy round, the bullet moves hard into both the bottom of the bolt face and bolt rail where it tapers inward to direct the round. The mag lip is as high as it will go without grinding, it touches the bolt rail and may need to be ground/raised almost to the point of bring the lip to a thin edge - not good. That or the lower, inside of the rail needs to be thinned at an angle to allow the lip to be raised. Regardless which is done the result will likely be the cartridge will move sideways toward bore center and higher before it moves forward at the beginning of the feed cycle. If the cartridge does move as anticipated it might help with the bullet nose running into the bolt rail at a point closer to the breech face where the rail tapers inward and eliminate the possible need to grind that tapered section

Clear as mud?.

Boolit Buddy

No experience with that mold in an SKS. I would not modify the original factory 10 rounder. I'd buy an aftermarket magazine or beat up one to experiment with.