Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer Seating Depth

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Has anyone seen a primer that was noticeably below the surface of the case? I haven’t.

Boolit Master
    I use a Frankford Arsenal adjustable hand priming tool. But instead of trying to set the depth by adjusting the seating post I just crank it up and do it by feel. This is only on rifle ammunition, I load all my pistol ammo on a Lee Turret press and just use the integrated priming system which works great.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes all my primers are below flush I run my finger over the primer on loaded rounds . Never had one flush because I believe they need to be below flush.But I will also say I never measured how much below flush they were.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Has anyone seen a primer that was noticeably below the surface of the case? I haven’t.
    If I look for it, it’s visible in some commercial ammo. My reloads may not show much, depending on how firmly I press on the ram arm. Match ammo I make a point of seating deeply, using a firm push with both hands rather than just the one, and it’s very easy on those rounds.

It’s a lot easier to feel the indentation below flush than it is to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Yes, from flush to .008" below, a SAAMI standard.. One was .010" below. All will fire. The RCBS Vernier end is used to measure depth.

This makes it easy to measure.https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing.../16-87305.html

Imagine the disappointment with my new Lyman primer-er. The thing felt and worked great, but left the primer sticking out by, at least, half its depth. It seemed as though a new one needed to be loaded and force the first one up. That worked. I would have tried to fix it by redrilling the hole in the pivoting rod to make it go higher but their pins to hold everything together, didnt want to move. Bizarre item.

Boolit Master
    always hand primed by feel .they need to bottom out in the case just below case head ,just run my thumb over case to check. personally i like to seat primer, release the pressure, turn case 90 degrees and squeeze again just to make sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12