Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Bulldog

Boolit Master

Charter Arms Bulldog

A store and hour or so from me lists a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 SP for $249 (plus some ammo included).
    That sounds kinda low. From what I've read, there were good years and bad years from Charter Arms. Were the bad years really that bad?

Boolit Master

I once had a c1980 stainless 3" heavy barrel one, with the old bobbed pocket hammer. It was a fine sleeping bag gun. I've never seen even photos of another. The biggest failing of it was shallow rifling, which made CBs a poor choice. I now have 4 Charters, two in 44 Special and Charter has remedied the shallow rifling problem. They also shrouded the ejector rod and made the grip frame of light alloy, both features I had wanted in 1980. There's no longer a pocket hammer, but my short barrel one has the high frame covering both sides of the hammer, ala the Smith M38, which serves as well. I like the new Charters.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a buy to me! Think I paid $400 for mine not long ago. Early model.

Even if you shoot up the ammo and hate it you can get your money back (and then some), plus got the chance to shoot it some. Seems like a win all around to me.

Boolit Master

Yes there are good and bad years. The way to tell is does it say "Charter Arms" on the barrel? If so, you're good. Charco and Charter2000 sucked. Too, you should know that Charter will fix most anything for a flat $49.95 fee. Or so it was a few years back, could have changed.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    THERE YOU GO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy

Interesting guns. I picked up one 30 years ago and have never fired it. Mine is a MagnaPort Backpacker Magna Port bought different pistols and modified them to provide cash flow to the company. Mostly Ruger SBH. The Backpacker was shortened to remove front sight, MagnaPorted,, given an action job, a pair of Pachmeyer grips and their SS Metalloy finish GW

Moderator Emeritus

I owned one and if I saw one for that price I would own another. Your palm is the limiting factor on handloads. I think they were meant to carry a lot and shoot occasionally.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have, and load for, a Reichrevolver in .44 Russian, which looks very similar to the .44 SP (bullet size, powder charge, though it looks like the Russian brass is shorter). Are the dies the same or close enough to use?

Just dawned on me that I load the .44 Russian with BP, but the cases look similar to the .44 SP.
    Last edited by Battis; 11-17-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have converted neck split 44 Special to Russian, as well as 44 Magnum to Special, without issue. I use RCBS 44 Spl/44 Mag dies and Lyman "M" die to flare. The Russian is just a shorter 44 Special, like the 44 Special is a shortened 44 Magnum. Both having significantly less power than the parent case.

I have the same Fit for Duty CA Bulldog as MOA does. If you can get past the errant tool marks, its a serviceable firearm. My main use is a carry piece when I'm bow hunting.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Mine is stamped Bulldog Pug .44 spl on the left side of the barrel and Charter Arms Shelton CONN on the right side.

I carry it a lot and if you are going to carry one you need to shoot it.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    When I started in retail , the shop I worked at carried the CA bulldog in blue. That was 1981. We sold lots of them for basic home protection. Never had any returned for service or any customer complaints. CA was resurrected a number of years ago and many new models and features are available over what the original company product selection. For the money, and purpose of carry an self defense IMHO it's a good deal. Taurus filled the nitch in its 38 an 357 snub nosed models when CA was out of business for many years, but CA is now eating into Taurus market share in this category.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus

A .44 S&W Special Bulldog at $249.00 USD with added ammunition? Sounds almost too good to be true... I'd have spun my tires getting to the shop. I bought one of these about five years back, and mine was stamped "Charter Arms". Quite frankly, it looked a tad "chinsee" to me -- definitely not in the same class as a Python or Anaconda...... But, I bought it. I normally do not like to down-load cartridges, but I did find "Skeeter" loads perhaps not much fun to shoot. Hence, I acquired some .44 Russian cases and loaded these (my cast bullets) exclusively for the Bulldog. At ~35 feet target distance I was able to get most all on target -- one hand hold, standing. (I do a tad better with my S&W 41 in .22)
    BUT -- for an EDC revolver, in .44 S&W Special, I question if one might "do better" than the Bulldog.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I called the shop and they told me that the gun is worn and it looks old, but it's functional. They're going to hold it until I get there today. Sounds interesting.

Boolit Master

I have a target bulldog in 44spl. I love it. it's a light gun.. so full 44 spec with heavy bullets kick a bit.. but.. heck.. it's a 44.. it's supposed to bark a little...

Boolit Master
    The famous Son of Sam revolver. Also used on Larry Flint I think who took a wheel full in the chest. Not too many D/A choices out there now in .44 spl.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I called the shop and they told me that the gun is worn and it looks old, but it's functional. They're going to hold it until I get there today. Sounds interesting.
    GREAT move! It can't hurt to look... and, as stated (100% purely subjective -- some like blondes, other brunettes, etc. ) to *me* the Bulldogs were made for function over form. None, again imho, would win a beauty contest. But, albeit I use 'Russian cases/loading -- mine keeps functioning famously! Good luck!
    geo

�� When the bad boy is coming at you while out having dinner in the parking lot, or breaking into the kitchen from the back door, I doubt anyone is thinking about the miniscule tool marks on this or any other personal defence weapon. 357mag is great for through an through in a crowd..not what you want. Unless you want to buy special ammo to negate this characteristic. Which is expensive these days for practice. The 44 special is big, medium velocity, not a through and through caliber along with SWC boolits, and the perfect caliber to offer castable and effective defensive ammunition that one can practice their shooting skills without breaking the bank or depleting one's reloading supplies either. 44 special for closeup work much more effective than 38 special or 380 acp while still housed in a small package that most any woman or man can use without having to rack a round into battery.
    Last edited by MOA; 11-17-2021 at 02:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Owned a Charter Arms revolver once, sold it, not going back.
    It was a 22LR and keyholed with any ammo except for CCI Stinker that I could not afford.

Boolit Master
    "Worn and old but still functions" they told me on the phone. Sounds like me.
    Anyways, 40 minute ride each way and now it's home.
    It's stainless that's been brushed, cleaned, or whatever. One of the prongs on the extractor is broken but the cases still eject. Numrich is out of them but I'm sure I can find one.
    The rifling looks good. The action is very smooth.
    It came with 15 reloads and another five or so pieces of brass. I'll tear the reloads apart and start over.
    It's surprisingly light. Nice big grips.
    Probably won't win Best In Show but what the heck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5432.JPG   DSCF5434.JPG   DSCF5436.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    "Worn and old but still functions" they told me on the phone. Sounds like me.
    Anyways, 40 minute ride each way and now it's home.
    It's stainless that's been brushed, cleaned, or whatever. One of the prongs on the extractor is broken but the cases still eject. Numrich is out of them but I'm sure I can find one.
    The rifling looks good. The action is very smooth.
    It came with 15 reloads and another five or so pieces of brass. I'll tear the reloads apart and start over.
    It's surprisingly light. Nice big grips.
    Probably won't win Best In Show but what the heck.
    I think you'll like it. My SWC mold is a standard Lyman 240 grain Keith design I use for my 44 mag also. Granted my alloy mixture on the 44 mag application is a bit harder alloy, it's the same mold. Work your way up in power, but attempt to get to factory velocity specs or where your comfortable with 25 yard and 10 yard shooting. Also keep in mind and also practice at 6 to 10 feet, where most shootouts occur.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast