MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Bulldog

Boolit Master
    The only problem is that broken prong on the extractor/ejector. It still works. Charter Arms told me on the phone that I should look in pawn shops, yard sales, and online for the part. So, it's not worth sending it to them if they don't know if they have a part that will work. Eventually, I'll find one.

Battis, check with these guys. They might have it

https://everygunpart.com/contact-us

Or Bob's gun parts at

gunparts@hsnp.com

Boolit Master
    I can never open the link to Bob's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    That's an email address.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I meant to say I can't get to their site at www.gun-parts.com. I get a "THREAT PREVENTED" message.
    "TotalAV Blocked this website due to it being categorised as ‘Malware’
    It is strongly advised that you do not visit this website as it may contain infected executable files which could harm your device."

Opens fine here. It uses a free SSL cert by Let's Encrypt. If your AV is dated, then it may throw false positives on such sites.
    But the site does look odd. It says that it is supposed to have a menu but there is none.
    Anyway, this is the contact info from the site:

Bob's Gun Shop Inc. Po Box 200 Royal AR 71968
    Please fax, e-mail, or click on " Place Order " at the top of every page to safely order on line
    Fax orders or questions at 501-767-2750
    If you e-mail your questions or orders please give Bob time to reply
    If you fax please include your return fax number

Because of high order and e-mail volume we can no longer answer the phone calls
    gunparts@hsnp.com

Boolit Master
    I'll email them. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I've had a pile of Charters, and they were all as good as anything else in their price range (Taurus, Rossi, entry level S&W's). Biggest thing I don't like is that there isn't much at all out there as far as grips, at least if you want something that is more than wood panels and still concealable. My 70's Undercover wears an old factory rubber grip that has been cut down some to be pocket size. Not pretty but it works. The front sight came off mine and I sent it back to Charter. They told me that they do work on the older guns as long as they have the right parts, however the one piece barrel and front sight for this particular model was no longer available. I had a gunsmith make me a new front sight and silver solder it on.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have had at least one .44 Bulldog in my stuff for a long time. You could do worse.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    The gun came with 15 reloads. I pulled a few to see what they were loaded with and found that all had consistent loads, with 240 gr bullets. I loaded up a bunch with 200 gr bullets and went to the range. The 240 gr rounds were manageable, but not target rounds. The 200 gr rounds were slightly easier, but again, not target rounds. Another shooter there said, "If you need more than five rounds from that gun you're in big trouble."
    The gun definitely reminds me of the S&W .38+P that I carry.
    Bulldog is a good name.
    Now that I fired it, and I know it works as it should, I can reblue it.

Boolit Master

Battis, I bought a used Bulldog and it was a little buggeredup. I tried a few fixes and finally sent it to Charter Arms. It came back in about 2 weeks all fixed with a nice note that they didn’t like the grips so they replaced them and returned the others. I think they have very good customer service so it might be worth trying to send it back. Just my 2 cents, Tim

Boolit Master
    I'd send it back but there's nothing wrong with it other than a broken extractor prong. It still works as is. I'll reblue it myself.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I have placed/received *many* orders from Bob's Gun shop, with nary a problem, ever! Kind of a strange to me set-up which does in fact parallel no other vendor site I've ever experienced, but I have placed the orders and received the goods. I also have gotten 'malware' and 'unsecure' warnings -- so, to get around this (???) I use my iPad rather than the Windows computer when ordering. "Apple" sees no problems? Anyhoos -- while I do not recommend anyone -- I will unequivocally state that I've had nothing but MANY good experiences dealing with Bob's. (I understand the years/health issues have slowed him down , and "Mrs. Bob" is doing most all -- at least that's what I was told vis my last order, but a couple of months back.)

Boolit Master
    I still can't open their site but I did email them. Now I wait.

I've owned/carried a lot of different bulldogs over the decades. They're not made nor designed for heavy use only heavy hitting.

A older model special order hook front sighted bulldog (top) I bought cheap at a gunshow and sold a couple years later.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I prefer the sloped front sight models to the taller "hook" front sights, been carrying this bulldog off and on for years.
    [IMG][/IMG]

These test loads where shot in the sloped front sighted bulldog pictured above.
    [IMG][/IMG]

As with any snubnosed revolver bullet weight & velocity play huge roles in the poa/poi and what your sight picture will be. With those hot +/- 200gr bullet/loads pictured above I have to use a combat hold/cover what I want to hit with the front sight with the sloped sighted bulldog @ 25ft to have the poa/poi be the same.

When using standard pressure/slower velocity loads I use a 6 o-clock hold with the same sloped front sighted bulldog. Was playing around at the range sighting in reddots on a 25m sport pistol and a ruger MK IV so I decided to load up some test loads for the bulldog using power pistol/standard pressure loads (15,500psi). I shot the right targets using those loads @ 25ft double action 5 shots +/- 30 seconds. The black circle is 3" & I used a 6 o-clock hold aiming at the bottom of the 1" inner white circle.
    [IMG][/IMG]

These are the 2 bullets I used for that pp/25ft test. Interesting that the little 200gr type III wc had more velocity then the keith 245gr swc hp. Both are cast out of 8/9bhn alloy and sized to .430" & both used the same 8.0gr pp load.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Good luck with your newly acquired bulldog.

Boolit Master
    Question about the Bulldog:
    I stripped it all down and gave it a good cleaning. But I'm not sure if it's missing a part.
    On the schematic, part #13 is listed as CYLINDER LATCH COVER PLATE.
    There isn't one on my gun. Either it never had one (made in 1978) or it's missing.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...charms/bulldog

Boolit Master

Yes yours had one when new. I bought my first Bulldog in '74, and if I recall correctly it had one.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Numrich has them. I think the cylinder release will work better with it. Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    Always wanted a Bulldog. Was looking at a Tiger .44 when I recently spotted the Bulldog on GB that a bunch of folks were watching. Saw the "buy it now" tag and clicked to see it was only $300 since no one had started bidding yet. I couldn't believe that an as new looking bulldog made a couple of years ago wouldn't be snapped right up, so I hit the button. As soon as I got her in she looked as good in my hand as in the photos! I stopped off the other day and put a couple of cylinders of 200 grn RNFP and she grouped fine. I'll hopefully get to go out and shoot some SIG defensive loads shortly, and get my Lyman Turret out. I stopped and got a couple a boxes of 200 grn GA Arms pills and some Clays powder to go with the pristine 4 die Lee carbide set I found at a hock shop for $25. So the year's ending great for me. I'm liking what I'm getting from the Brotherhood here and hope to add to the mix later on...Happy Holidays folks!

My Bulldog goes bang and I haven't shot it much since new.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast