MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Casting Bismuth Alloy?

Casting Bismuth Alloy?

Just ordered 10 pounds of their Bismuth casting alloy from Rotometal's. I use a Lee Production Pot I bought circa 1970 and have used it to cast more lead than an average man could shake a stick at. I want to cast hunting projectiles for use here in California and the enlightened rules say there can be no more than 1 percent lead in hunting projectiles. Other than draining and brushing out the pot I am wondering what I might do to be sure I don't inadvertently add some lead to the alloy? And does anyone know how the Cali wardens check for lead in your cast bullets? Thanks.
    THBailey

"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects"
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I used a separate , clean "mini-kettle" for my bismuth casting experiments. I Hi Tek coated them, they shot fine in a 357. Light and brittle though.

If you use an old bottom pour pot, wouldn't most of the old lead flow out first? Bismuth is so much lighter. Or can they be mixed evenly?

We are facing similar ban threats here.

Moderator Emeritus

I've found that the best way to clean a bottom pour casting pot, is to put in clean Ingots (I use COWW) and then flux multiple times (alternating) with saw dust and beeswax. Then dump all the alloy out (into ingot molds).
    ...I do this outside.

I should preface that, I normally cast inside and using clean alloy, I rarely need to use any flux...and I don't want smoke in the house.

The fluxing I am describing to clean a pot, I use a lot of saw dust and a wooden stir stick and scrap the sides, remove the ashes, then the beeswax and scrap side with metal spoon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Here is a great writeup of casting with Rotometals Bismuth casting alloy.
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...ee-alloy.5627/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Here is a great writeup of casting with Rotometals Bismuth casting alloy.
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...ee-alloy.5627/
    Well thanks for that Jon. This info looks like it will be quite helpful.
    THBailey

"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects"
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    That "sweating" is an interesting phenomenon.

My first coating attempts looked good right out of the oven... but after a moment the bullets started "sweating". Tiny silver drops came on the surface, through coating. Too hot a bake. It took a while to find a lower temp that still cured Hi Tek. I ended up at 180 ° C.

But Rotometals alloy is different, I used Vihtavuori bismuth shot from 90's 12 gauge ammo.

Does bullet diameter change over time?

Boolit Master

how do you figure a load.. them things must be light? you can use up alot more case space.. but be way lighter...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    how do you figure a load.. them things must be light? you can use up alot more case space.. but be way lighter...
    Here is the thread of the original tests. These guys can get kind of deep in the weeds, but it's great reading if you can keep up.
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...ng-alloy.5585/

As to working up a load, I would just work up as I normally would for cast lead alloy...probably want a working chrono

As to light bullets?
    Pulled this quote (post #78), it's in regards to a 223 bullet cast for 223rem.
    On the bullet weight I was at 58 grains fully dressed for a bullet that is 68.4 grains from wheelweights.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

That sounds about right..bismuth weighs about 84% of what lead does for a given volume.

Boolit Buddy
    OP, I did some Roto Metals Bismuth/Tin casting awhile ago.
    Here is the thread:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?388299
    Hope it helps.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Mold

California certified nonlead ammo

California allows only nonlead ammo which has been submitted and certified.

From CDFW website:
    "Where can I find a list of nonlead ammunition legal for hunting?

CDFW and the California Fish and Game Commission have developed a process to certify projectiles as meeting the nonlead threshold (less than or equal to 1 percent lead content) for purposes of these regulations. A continuously updated list of certified nonlead ammunition for hunting is available on the CDFW website.

Manufacturers are required to undergo an application process to have their ammunition certified as legal for use. Information regarding the certification process is also available on the CDFW website."

Here's the link to the certified list:

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonl...tion/Certified

If a warden suspects non-certified lead-bearing ammo is in possession while hunting, they may seize it for lab analysis:

"
    How will wildlife officers check for compliance?

All ammunition in a hunter’s possession may be inspected by wildlife officers. In some cases, if a wildlife officer suspects a hunter is in possession of lead ammunition and cannot prove otherwise in the field, he or she may seize a cartridge or bullet for further analysis. Hunters are encouraged to assist in confirming compliance by retaining and carrying in the field ammunition boxes or other packaging."

Exception is made for pellet rifles to use lead ammo, as they are not firearms.

edit: you can apply for certification as a private party, but the warden with whom I spoke awhile back said he did not know of any PP being approved...grr

here's the application link:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...cumentID=82801
    good luck
    Last edited by ForeCast; 11-28-2021 at 03:46 PM.