MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this sludge? And why is my lead breaking like cookies?

What is this sludge? And why is my lead breaking like cookies?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE72DAD6-781C-4C16-95A9-9C6AD0ED8CFF.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	291786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74F3BF5E-2FAA-4CDC-BC2E-C3454BC2796C.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	291787

Trying this from my phone so I hope the pictures show up. But best I can describe this is heavy sludge. I flux with sawdust to get a glass like top to my lead pot but in doing so I remove this heavy sludge. Just going by weight I can tell I’m losing a good bit of lead which makes me sad. Is this needed?

Second question is lately I’ve been noticing my lead on top of the sprue plate is fracturing apart in pieces rather than being a solid mass of lead. I also noticed one of my boolits had a crack in it. Looking at the fractured lead from the plate best I can describe it is the inside looks like powdered metal. My hardness right now is at 10.4 BHN

Boolit Bub
    Zinc contamination?

Moderator Emeritus

What alloy?
    what temp?

It doesn't look like Zinc contamination to me, maybe you are running your pot too HOT?
    ...Zinc contamination looks like Oatmeal and as soon as you remove the Dross, more forms...unless you crank the temp real high...like over 800º high.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have quite a stash of tin-based babbit metal - about 80% tin content. When melting, it will form a sludge in the transition phase, somewhat similar to your pictures.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Your photo shows the thermostat setting at the highest position. It appears to be a relatively new pot, but may have scale build up if you failed to clean your alloy in a different pot. You mention saw dust, but do you also use a wax or perhaps other type of flux to help clean the alloy? It might be helpful to ID what you think your alloy might be. If the alloy temp is excessive, the sprue will take longer to become solid so it will fracture while still mushy. Same with the bullet if you are casting long skinny bullets. That information might be beneficial.

When you add candle wax, expect it to flash ignite so use care where you do this.

Do youself a favor... flux with candle wax* as above... not sawdust.
    Bet you will find a world of difference

(even better and pea-sized lump of 50-50 ALOX/Beeswax bullet lube)

Boolit Master

I couldnt tell what temp you are at. Some alloys get a grainy transition stage specially those with antimony. Raise the temp to 800*F and flux with wax (bee, candle, wifes stash of smelly goodie).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Yes, try the candle wax, and keep stirring until that crusty stuff has disappeared and any impurities are no longer clumped, but look like loose black dirt.

I set the smoke on fire with the candle, and let it (held in one hand, horizontally) continue to burn and drip while stirring with the other hand. If the smoke stops burning, I relight it with the candle; if the candle goes out, I light it off the burning surface of the pot. I stir until I get a mirror surface with black specks.

The black dirt I wind up skimming off has a minimum of metal in it, and it looks like smooth metal, rather than that oatmeal consistency your pictures show. If you had zinc in it, the whole pot would look like that; an uncastable slush that never fully liquefies.

What Bent Ramrod said. ^^

Boolit Master

You really need some sort of thermometer.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a small marble's sized chunk of paraffin wax, put it on top, let it melt on top and then stir it using a wooden paint stick. It will smoke a lot, and if you use too much wax it may catch on fire.

stir it using a wooden paint stick.
    Since I dipper-pour, I just run the dipper upside down to
    the bottom of the pot and back to get the liquid wax all
    through the melt. Rarely do I wind up w/ anything but
    sooty dross left on top to scrape out with a teaspoon.

I find sawdust doesn't cut it for flux a lot of time. So I am not a fan of it. I get some of that separation on some of my alloys and add some candle wax from an old candle I have, mixes it right in. Makes good bullets then. Mine doesn't have zinc in it, I know that for sure. What I end up removing from fluxing is not the color of lead or tin.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Sawdust flux burned black and ready to be removed.

After removing all the burnt sawdust and after fluxing with pariffin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator

I use sawdust and paraffin wax when smelting, works great. I only use beeswax in my lead pot though, it's much cleaner. It's kind of difficult to pin things down when we don't know what alloy you're using or the source of your lead. I'm also guessing that you're running it too hot.

Looks like tin on a cold melt.

The first time I melted down scrap, I got that, and I unknowingly scooped it off. It was with my prototype melter, and the heat output was too low.

Later on I realised the melt was too cold for the tin to go into solution, so it floated out.

Not sure what the power output of those little electric units are, but you'd do better with it if you kept it half full. It takes a lot of juice to keep all that lead at temperature, maybe more than the melter can handle with a full pot.
    Last edited by 414gates; 11-16-2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

I'm with the "too cold" crowd. I bet most of it can be fluxed back into your melt, so don't throw that dross out yet.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I'm with the "too cold" crowd. I bet most of it can be fluxed back into your melt, so don't throw that dross out yet.
    This makes sense I think.

And in the pictures the temp is set at 7, not max. Max is 9

Boolit Master
    Yes, that is probably tin. I will sometimes see that same kind of thing as the pot heats up. Leave it all alone until your pot is well up to temp. Then flux it. I initially use beeswax, then put a layer of sawdust on it to keep oxides from building up.

So would you guys add the sludge back into the pot, up to temp, and then flux? I finally have the BHN where I want it so if I add this what we think is tin, my hardness will go up (which I do not want).

Should I toss it or keep it for future use as tin? (assuming that's what it is)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast