Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic scale going haywire??

Boolit Master

Electronic scale going haywire??

Hi guys. Let me start by saying I suspect I already know the answer, but I'm hopeful maybe I'm overlooking something.

So I have a Midway Electronic scale that has got to be at least 20 years old. I really don't use it for general reloading, I stick with my trusty balance scale for that. But what I do use it for is weight sorting the few bullets that I bother to weight sort, namely my match boolits for NRA Highpower. I only need about 400-500 for the season. So basically right around this time of year I fire it up, and use it for 5 or 6 sessions, and put it away. I like it for this purpose because it is fast and easy, and accurate enough. I just tare it at "0" with no pan , then I just set a boolit on the platform, and BAM that's it. Like I said, it's been going like a champ for 20+ years doing this.

Anyhow, all of a sudden it just seems to go haywire. Readings flash all over the place, both with a weight on the platform and without. I re zero, it's good for a few minutes, then it goes nuts again. I already put a fresh battery in, just to rule that out.

Has the unit just lived out it's life? That's what I suspect. Or is there something else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Vendor Sponsor

Have you got any air movement in the room? Fan, A/C, heat? These little digital things are so sensitive the slightest draft messes with them, even your breathing!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Oh no I neglected to say that's not an issue. Actually set up in exact same way/place all these years.

But thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

have there been any changes in the electronics, lights, computers, ect or magnetic all have an effect the scales.

Boolit Master

I suspect that the electronic scales DO degrade over time. I have a Frankford arsenal and an AWS electronic scale. Both will "Wander" around + or - 0.1 or 0.2 grains with both powder & bolts being weighed. Recently the Frankford Arsenal has begun to "Wander" + or - 0.2 to 0.4 grains.

Yes air movement can cause the scales to drift; have observed that. Not sure why the Frankford Arsenal has begun to "Wander" more. If the value .02 to .04 grain differentials more critical; I'll use my RCBS balance scales purchased in 1975 to validate or even weigh every charge. For some reason I have more confidence in the Balance Scale than the digital scales.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    It does sound like air flow does the scale have a sensor on it so it can be used with a electronic powder measure if so it could be wifi. Thats what was giving mine fits till I covered the sensor window up.

Boolit Master

Definitely not airflow. No new electronics anywhere in the house. I would be amazed if a scale this old has the ability to mate up with a powder measure, but I will check when I get home.

I think the main issue is that this scale has worked fine for 20+ years, now all of a sudden with no change in conditions or environment I'm seeing weirdness.

Boolit Bub

Florescent lights some time will effect my scale with the same problem you're having , just saying .

Boolit Master

I know your saying you only use it for boolit weights BUT, it could be used as a powder scale. Once all the obvious reasons for "weird" have been sorted out without immediate improvement. Then its time for the upgrade. Will your new buy last 20 years? I doubt it. Be thankful you got this far. Good luck
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Patrick,
    If you got 20 years out of that scale, count your blessings buddy! I prefer to use a digital (electronic) scale for all my reloading purposes (I still have my balance beam but almost never use it). I settled on a nice little Maxus about two years ago and haven't looked back. It weighs in grains, grams, ounces and carats and easily switches between them. Makes it really handy for shotshell loading. It weighs grains to two decimal places (hundredth of a grain), not that I need that but it's nice to know. You can find them everywhere on the web, IIRC mine was about $25.00.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Yeah, I guess I can't complain. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Boolit Buddy
    Do you have a small insect in there? I had a very old and reliable scale but one day it was all over the place. In the end of the day I lifted up the cover and found a spider had set up shop. She was in the electronics but there was a bit of web attached to the mechanism.
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Boolit Master
    Had a similar problem with a Lyman scale, called them, the tec said it was static. Told me to clean it with window cleaner, twice! I had my doubts but it worked. Who knew!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I repaired an electronic balance once that had the same symptoms. It seemed a family of roaches moved into the housing and their running around caused the issue. Also, transistors are very temperature sensitive, another sign of one of them going out. Strain gage could be weak too. Hard to say what the root cause is but I hope this helps.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

It's only 20 years old and is already acting up?

Hmmm,, You may have a valid warranty claim.......
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Not playing a radio are you? That got me once.

The new LED four foot lamps to replace florescent lamps produce a tremendous amount of RF energy. This will cause all sorts of things to happen to Ham Radios and other sensitive electronics. This drove me nuts until I found the cause.

Boolit Master
    Did you do a calibration test on your scale? Didn't see that mentioned. If your using it once a year, do you remove the batteries when not in use?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    The new LED four foot lamps to replace florescent lamps produce a tremendous amount of RF energy. This will cause all sorts of things to happen to Ham Radios and other sensitive electronics. This drove me nuts until I found the cause.
    Wonder what that RF energy is doing to your masculinity? Seriously - I have "Checked" my electronic scales with provided "Check Weights" and found them to be correct after doing a TARE on the scale. That does not address the Wandering Scale readings.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I do remove battery. Weights are what they should be.

I guess what I have failed to explain is that the scale works, then doesn't, then works, then doesn't, etc.

I'll turn it on, it's fine for like 5 minutes. I weigh a handful of bullets. Then it goes nuts, just random changing numbers, never stops. I'll shut it off, turn it back on, and it's fine. For about 4-5 minutes, then it goes nuts again.

So it does work when it's not haywire. It's not haywire all the time

Does that clarify the issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast