RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: zinc in my lead

Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    Frosted on the right and not so frosted on the left . It's a really rainy damp evening here so I had to quit for the night. Arthritis in my thumbs is killing meAttachment 292198Attachment 292199Attachment 292200

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk
    Frosted bullets are fine. Good fill out is what you're after.

I like frosted bullets, mostly as a sign my temperature is where I want it.

Some casters don't like frosted bullets. Also, depending on your alloy they may not frost - I can't remember offhand which element it is that causes the frostiness - a certain amount of antimony, maybe? Wheel weights frost.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    Frosted bullets are fine. Good fill out is what you're after.

I like frosted bullets, mostly as a sign my temperature is where I want it.

Some casters don't like frosted bullets. Also, depending on your alloy they may not frost - I can't remember offhand which element it is that causes the frostiness - a certain amount of antimony, maybe? Wheel weights frost.
    So examining most of these bullets I noticed at the base there seems to be a small divot. Is that because I was cutting the sprue too soon and will this affect the bullet or are they still okay to use?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211125_210957.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	292202

Boolit Buddy
    Is there a specified amount of time required between casting and powder coating?

Usually you can tell when the sprue changed colour and dimples a bit. Usually a 4-8 count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So examining most of these bullets I noticed at the base there seems to be a small divot. Is that because I was cutting the sprue too soon and will this affect the bullet or are they still okay to use?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211125_210957.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	292202

Yep, that goes along with the crumbly sprues. Maybe another second or 3 before you cut it. You'll learn to watch the sprue and know when the time is right.

For shorter range pistol bullets, they're fine ( at least the close up one ). Something to be avoided in future. One of those tweaks you'll make with experience.

Unrelated to sprues, but I will add that I've read casting too hot can result in a smaller diameter bullet. I've never had any drop too small to size, but it's something to keep in mind as you go forward. I think this is why some casters avoid frosty bullets.

Is there a specified amount of time required between casting and powder coating?

Nope. Powder coat away.

Boolit Buddy
    I did notice that as the mold cooled a little the sprue seemed to stay a little more intact and he bullets dropped a little less frosty. I hope with practice I will be able gauge things a little better.

Boolit Master
    Well done

Those look fine. Now a cheap toaster oven and a half pound (I guess that would be a 1/4 kilo up where your at) of powder coat paint and you're ready to go.

Did you get rid of the platform you had or did you put the silicon sheet on it?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Congratulations! It looks like you’re getting the hang of it. Yes, I think the bases will improve if you wait longer before you cut them. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Wait longer and longer until it’s too difficult to cut the sprue. Then look at the boolits you made and decide how long works the best for you. I recently started waiting longer than before and have found that I get a lot sharper bases when I do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Those look fine. Now a cheap toaster oven and a half pound (I guess that would be a 1/4 kilo up where your at) of powder coat paint and you're ready to go.

Did you get rid of the platform you had or did you put the silicon sheet on it?
    I actually already have powder coating and oven. Did some 9mm a few weeks ago. I did most of it freehand and decided to try the platform toward the end ( without silicon sheet ) to see if it made any difference. None that I could tell but next session I will start out with the silicon sheet for comparison purposes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Congratulations! It looks like you’re getting the hang of it. Yes, I think the bases will improve if you wait longer before you cut them. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Wait longer and longer until it’s too difficult to cut the sprue. Then look at the boolits you made and decide how long works the best for you. I recently started waiting longer than before and have found that I get a lot sharper bases when I do.
    Thanks so much. I've actually enjoyed anticipating the responses I've been receiving on this little journey. It's definitely been a learning curve and look forward to doing it again.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I gave it another go tonight because I was curious if I had learned anything and whether or not there would be any improvement.
    I wasn't nearly as anxious and heating up the mold and the pot all fell in line however I did have to give up toward the end because the bullets were sticking in the mold so badly I was actually creating splinters from hitting the wooden mallet on the handle bolt head in order to release them from their hold. The bullets himself turned out fine but it was really a chore to get them out. Now I have to do a little bit of research to find out why and how to prevent it going forward.

In the attached photo you can see bits of wood sitting on top of the cloth from having to hit it so hard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211126_214221.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	292241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211126_212658.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	292242

Boolit Buddy
    Also the bottom of the sprue plate has leading. And it's also worn in a couple areas already. This thing is just about brand new so I must be doing something wrong. I did use 2 stroke oil very lightly for the pivot points. Does the leading and bullets sticking mean mold isn't hot enough even though the bullet were casting fine? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211126_224322.jpg 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	292245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211126_224326.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	292246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211126_224335.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	292247

Wipe 2 stroke not only on pivot pin but underneath the sprue plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^^ what he said . Take time and clean the lead off the bottom of the plate & the top of the mold before doing damage to the mold . Take a look at the mold face as well checking for lead splatter .
    Lead smearing comes from cutting the sprue before the lead completely sets up .
    Mold temperature can cause sticky boollits as well .
    I think you have got your mold hot enough now , maybe a little to hot ...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    As has been said, clean that sprue plate before it causes problems. You are probably cutting the sprue too early. If your mold is getting a little too warm, you need to wait longer to cut the sprue. Take your time and let things cool a little more. As I said before, experiment with increasing the delay in cutting the sprue more and more, just to see what happens.

I notice more smearing on the 2 cavities closest to the pivot. I'm guessing those are the last 2 filled. One technique to control heat is to occasionally reverse the order of fill.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678