Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Pre war Model 70

Boolit Buddy

Pre war Model 70

Just bought a prewar Winchester Model 70 in 300 H&H. The recoil pad looks like it is 80 years old. Did it originally come with a recoil pad or with the standard metal buttplate. The pad is red on butt and black next to the stock. I am planning on replacing it and wondering which way to go.

My 38 had a Winchester ‘bakalite’ looking buttplate.

Boolit Buddy
    Some originally came with the recoil pad, but some came with the steel plate. You can purchase a replica of the vintage pads to keep the rifles classic lines clean. Take a look at pre64winchester.com and purchase a copy of “The Rifleman’s Rifle” by Roger Rule.

Congrats on the great purchase, I’ve been keeping my eye out for a pre-war in 300H&H. They are beautiful rifles, and quickly find ways to multiply. I’ve got 3 in 30-06 and a M54 in 30-30. As with most things, after you’ve found one they will come out of the woodwork.

Boolit Master

Nice rifle in a classic caliber. Congrats.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .300 H&H did come with factory recoil pad. Mine eventually disintegrated and I replaced it with a solid rubber Pachmayr rubber buttplate. Also had rechambered to .300 Weatherby which worked well. Eventually shot barrel out, so now is a .358 Weatherby wildcat.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Don't put a steel butt plate on it! I have a pre-64 M70 in 30-06 that had a steel butt pad. It was simultaneously both my favorite and least favorite rifle. I loved the rifle, but hated the recoil. It was a huge improvement when I put a Fajen stock and Pachmayr pad on it. It is so much more pleasant to shoot now. Some guy at the range once told me that I've ruined it's collector value. I told him that my guns are for shooting, not for putting in glass cases and looking at.

Boolit Mold
    As I recall the butt plate on my prewar model 70 300 H&H was bakalite when I received it. Not sure if it was original and that was about 40 years ago. On my fathers pre 64 model 70 300 H&H it had a metal butt plate.

The original pre war M-70 all had a steel butt plate, not a recoil pad. Men did not need a recoil pad before 41. My pre war stock has a recoil pad, that pad is not original. The pre war M-70 is not a pre 64 M-70 it is a critter of a difference, different stock, different tang, etc. The pre 64 stock will not fit on a pre war gun without modification because of the differences.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

My pre-war has the medal plate, as it should. These rifles have become valued very highly now and cutting the stock is just plain desproying history and collactability too. If you must have a soft butte, just by another stock or, a gun having one, but please don't destroy what many prefer being left origional.
    G

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The original pre war M-70 all had a steel butt plate, not a recoil pad. Men did not need a recoil pad before 41. My pre war stock has a recoil pad, that pad is not original. The pre war M-70 is not a pre 64 M-70 it is a critter of a difference, different stock, different tang, etc. The pre 64 stock will not fit on a pre war gun without modification because of the differences.
    I found out about the stock the hard way when mine was damaged and needed replaced.

Different safety also. It swings over the top of the back of the bolt instead of off to the side. The did at one time make a aftermarket one that swings off to the side and I was able to obtain one years ago for mine. This was after I had purchased one for a pre 64 and found out the differences.