MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listen to the Crickets

Boolit Buddy

Listen to the Crickets

The last post in the BP Cartridge section was on 11-5. Now it's 11-15. Ten days with nothing.

Is this because it's hunting season in a lot of states? Is it because of Hodgdon turning their backs on BP shooters? Or sadly is it like Cowboy Action Shooting?

That sport, and to a large part BP Cartridge, has been driven by the baby boomers. We're getting old and dying off. CAS matches have half the shooters they used to have and in some areas matches have shut down altogether.

This was one of my go-to forums but it's turning into one I don't "go-to" as much anymore.

Dave

USMC 77, USRA 79

it is the middle of our hunting season here.... no time for shooting matches..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I'd think everyone is busy getting odd things done so they can sneak off and go hunting, or they're already out in the woods.

I'm not a BP guy, but that's how things were when I was still out hunting this time of the year.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My BPCR season is winding down here in the Midwest along with the coming holidays, colder short days and oncoming winter. Our outdoor BP range closes for the winter Dec. 1st...It's a time to start hunkering down, loading up BPCR for next season, and planning for next season. I still come here almost daily looking for new posts; I'm new to BPCR this year and there is a lot to learn, but already have settled on a few pet loads. Feel free to post; I'll definitely be reading!
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The weather has been on a bit of a mood swing, hunting season is upon most of us.
    Most of the old hands are pretty much settled on what they're shooting, and getting started on casting for next season. Those attending the Desert International at the Ben Avery this coming March need 400 match quality rounds to shoot the match.
    New guys are having trouble getting components..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

For me it's deer season, mid 20's for temps and about 10" of snow. Just waiting for things to settle in soon here by Thanksgiving.

Boolit Grand Master
    I doubt deer season has much to do with the lack of posting. It has not affected the other sub-forums.
    Don Verna

Maybe all of the above? On boomers getting older and fewer, is a fact of life that the longer we live the more funerals of friends we have to attend. We grew up with movies and books that had fur trappers and mountain men, cowboys, and cops (and robbers) who carried 38 revolvers. I think it stayed with many of us as adults. We are still playing, just the "toys" are so much better now than when we were kids.

Lot of the midwest has been getting a break on our November weather that has us tackling outside activities or tasks we need done before snow falls in earnest. Nothing messes with a January day like finding the end of a hose with a snow blower auger. I'm still trying to figure out how it ended up coiled under deck and not in the shed but... yeah trying to take care of outside stuff for sure.

It is good weather for casting. Cool enough to be more comfortable but not yet cold.

Deer season is a big deal. I think bow and special youth hunt is already rolling and firearm is just starting. I'm pretty sure BP gets an extended season. All likely to pull folks away from their computers. Although I guess firearm isn't started yet but this week. Once it starts I hear shotguns around here. Lot of soy bean and corn fields, lot of blinds along the edges of those fields.

Myself I have been burning loads done last winter during the summer and fall and am just getting into making more now. Which I think is not uncommon. Heck even in Arizona they work at casting and outside activities more in the "cool" of the winter. So it does seem odd that there has been a 10 day gap but people are notional and I would expect people will drift back to this forum as time becomes available.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

My CPA action is off getting a 40/50 sbn and 30/40AI barrel fit, and I'm busy hunting. I'll pick up the silly wets in February. For now it's chasing critters with rock locks.

I live in the Mid Atlantic region. The silhouette shooting season is done. Weather is changing and at least I am getting ready to hide in my man cave. I will be casting, lubing, neck sizing and loading for a while.

Boolit Buddy
    I would not jump to conclusions that the Black Powder Companies have abandoned us. I think Goex and O.E. are just falling back and reorganizing to build a better facility and product.

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I would not jump to conclusions that the Black Powder Companies have abandoned us. I think Goex and O.E. are just falling back and reorganizing to build a better facility and product.
    Sorry to have to disagree, but Hodgdon has already confirmed they are done with black powder manufacturing through their press releases and video posts. Here's to hoping a new buyer will breathe new life into the product and facilities and keep manufacturing here in the US.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

t's just too darn wet! After 9 years of drought we have had rain almost every day adding up to near 12 inches in November

I'm primed and ready for when it dries a little!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Well good onya BAW
    Can’t even buy black powder in Cairns for the last couple of years.
    Maybe up the big hill has some.
    And I was thinking of trying some of that burning dirt too.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A good reason is … the BPCR is a small group of older gun owners and have pretty much worked out their issues and heard those they haven’t and skipped over those that are a belly laugh
    Regards
    John

Lot of things going on for a lot of people i figure . For me i got a new pup this year and this was his first hunting season . The temps dropped to sub-zero's.... so i abandoned duck hunting , put the boat away and now onto ice-fishing ha!
    I did get my 300yrd range tied into my shooting lane at my shop so its time to work up some loads and get back to it . Being in Alaska and black powder in short supply, i have been limiting my blackpowder shooting some what . Now that the long , cold , dark winter is upon me it will give me something to do at night and now that i can shoot 300yrds from my reloading bench ......... I'm happy lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    A good reason is … the BPCR is a small group of older gun owners and have pretty much worked out their issues and heard those they haven’t and skipped over those that are a belly laugh
    John, I believe you have struck the nail upon the flat part! (smile)

Dave

Too bad there aren't more single shot rifles being produced in revolver cartridges' chamberings. Lever actions are fun and present their own challenges with boolit designs, nose lengths and feeding through the actions but single shots...
    .357, .41, .44 and .45 black powder competitions would have been a lot more fun for the average casters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    My BPCR season is winding down here in the Midwest along with the coming holidays, colder short days and oncoming winter. Our outdoor BP range closes for the winter Dec. 1st...It's a time to start hunkering down, loading up BPCR for next season, and planning for next season. I still come here almost daily looking for new posts; I'm new to BPCR this year and there is a lot to learn, but already have settled on a few pet loads. Feel free to post; I'll definitely be reading!
    Something that you might want to experiment with is how to put your powder into your cartridges. People usually just dump it into a funnel or tube. What is very important for accuracy is how fast along with the consistency. This is the reason why Swiss is typically the most accurate black powder because if you pour it in fast or slow, the height of the charge is very similar. The worst is Pyrodex. If you trickle it in as slow as you can go, taking maybe 15 seconds or so, the height will be consistent. I made myself a vibrator out of a hair dryer where I put an offset weight on the shaft so it would vibrate and then attached it to a drop tube that I could put different size holes in for different speeds for different size powder. My friend and I who were using Pyrodex so we wouldn't have to use a blow tube went from not being too competitive to winning constantly even though we both shot poorly in the offhand part. I feel like it was a very important component for accuracy. When the height is always the same, the compression of the powder is always the same too.

Banned

The whole forum is dead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast