RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you consider accurate ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    These are the reasons people shoot 3 shot groups:

They are not capable of shooting accurately.
    Their guns are not accurate.
    Their loads are not accurate.
    They cannot afford to shoot.
    To confirm sight settings have not changed once they have developed, and proven an accurate load.

they are confident enough that they don't need to be wasting time shooting more than needed
    they hit where they need to
    they dont need a follow up shot
    they don't need to paint with a broad brush
    Last edited by white eagle; 11-17-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    If I can get 5 cold bore shots where I want them, A 3-round group after this should be sufficient. I don't think anything will stay around for round 4. I try to always have a cold bore during set up. Takes a lot of time, but I live right beside my own range.

Boolit Master
    I think M-Tecs makes an excellent point. I didn't realize for a long time that guys shot groups (3 or 27 for that matter) without letting the barrel cool. My "groups" are typically 5-10 shots over an hour or so.
    I also don't understand how shooting sub moa groups from a bench with sandbags prepares you for hunting where shots are generally taken quickly and offhand (beyond zeroeing the rifle).
    I am a firm believer in making the first shot count, and have never understood how the 3rd shot meant much of anything in the hunting world.
    My practice is generally done offhand with my open sighted rifles - if I can't get it done doing that, I probably don't have much business shooting at game.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Key Words; Beyond zeroeing the rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some interesting reasons for justifying why we do things.

Some reasons are shocking....like not wasting time shooting more than needed.

But I can prove my point about three shot groups by suggesting a simple exercise that will not waste too much time. It is also relatively inexpensive. All you need is a .22, a box of decent ammunition plus 5 “warmers”, and a 50 yard range.

First, make up 5 identical targets with the aiming point in the same spot. Fire 5 warmers into a separate target. Then fire three shots on the first target and measure the group. Then affix the second target over the first, shoot three shots and measure the group. Do the same with third, fourth and five target. When done, measure the group of 15 shots on the first target. Compare the size of your 3 shot groups to the 15 shot group.

Now, prepare three targets as above and do the same exercise using 5 shot groups. Again 15 rounds will be expended.

Lastly, prepare two targets as above. Shoot a ten shot group on the first...measure. Then put the seconded target over the first and shoot the last ten shots. Compare the 2 ten shot groups sizes to the 20 shot group.

If, after doing this, you find that three shot groups are able to predict the accuracy of your gun and load, you have a match quality rifle, shooting match quality ammunition and an exceptional marksman on the trigger.

I doubt many people will waste the time. Like that statement in the movie, “You can’t handle the truth!” And the truth is....an excellent three shot group will not tell you much about accuracy.

I will make a prediction....the 15 shot group will be three times larger than your best three shot group.

Accuracy is relatively unimportant for most hunters. In 5 years, our 6 member camp has only harvested two deer at over 200 yards. If a 1 MOA three shot group is actually a 3 MOA load, it does not matter....unless you need to reach out past 300 yards.
    Don Verna

I would first check my scope and bedding if the point of impact changes, the trouble may not be the ammo.
    For my deer hunting if in the swamp my 45/70 a group of 3 at 100 yards less than 2 inches, in this case bear and pig is also posable.
    for more open country my 280 AI a group of 3 at 100 yards less than 3/4 inch keeps finding yearling doe's this year.

[QUOTE=cwtebay;5300497]I also don't understand how shooting sub moa groups from a bench with sandbags prepares you for hunting where shots are generally taken quickly and offhand (beyond zeroeing the rifle).

It eliminates a couple of variables, builds confidence, and lets you know the rifle is doing its part.

Shooting is like riding a motorcycle, or flying an airplane--- the more you do it, the better you get.
    The more practice you do with getting a sight picture & alignment, trigger control, the better you will be out in the woods too.

I'd heard somewhere:
    If you hear a shot in the woods--- somebody probably got a deer.
    Two shots--- somebody might have gotten a deer.
    Three shots---- somebody missed a deer, and it ran off.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-17-2021 at 11:15 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Winger Ed.;5300693]
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I also don't understand how shooting sub moa groups from a bench with sandbags prepares you for hunting where shots are generally taken quickly and offhand (beyond zeroeing the rifle).

It eliminates a couple of variables, builds confidence, and lets you know the rifle is doing its part.

Shooting is like riding a motorcycle, or flying an airplane--- the more you do it, the better you get.
    The more practice you do with getting a sight picture & alignment, trigger control, the better you will be out in the woods too.

I'd heard somewhere:
    If you hear a shot in the woods--- somebody probably got a deer.
    Two shots--- somebody might have gotten a deer.
    Three shots---- somebody missed a deer, and it ran off.
    You are correct!!!! I could have been more succinct in my "zeroeing" remark. Assuming one has taken the time to familiarize oneself with his firearm of choice (zero, sight picture, sight acquisition, etc), my opinion still stands that shooting from a sand bagged bench / lead sled / ad nauseum will make sure that one is an excellent marksman......when conditions are perfect.
    Your analogy to piloting an aircraft is excellent!! Would you say that hour upon hour of flight simulators or perfect early morning flying hours prepair you for actual real world flying conditions? They didn't when I got my license.
    I'm not trying to put a burr under anyone's saddle, only saying that practice is only as good as what that practice prepares you for - and that's just my opinion.

(I had heard somewhere - one shot meat, 2 shots beat - and that's meant in jest!!)

[QUOTE=cwtebay;5300700][QUOTE=Winger Ed.;5300693] Would you say that hour upon hour of flight simulators or perfect early morning flying hours prepair you for actual real world flying conditions?

Well,,,,,,, yes, and no... Sort of like when a 15 yr. old kid has to take driver's education.
    I'd figure it was one of those deals where you'd be better off with that practice, than you would be without it.

I'm reminded----
    One of the old, old hangers at MCAF Quantico had a big sign painted on the wall.
    That hanger was where WWI era sea planes were parked, some of the research and development of jet engines was done, etc.

The sign read something like:
    "Aviation in not inherently dangerous. However; it is very unforgiving of even the slightest transgression"

On another wall was:
    "Aviation is comprised of endless hours of boredom, accented by seconds of stark terror".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Winger Ed.;5300710][QUOTE=cwtebay;5300700]
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Would you say that hour upon hour of flight simulators or perfect early morning flying hours prepair you for actual real world flying conditions?

Well,,,,,,, yes, and no... Sort of like when a 15 yr. old kid has to take driver's education.
    I'd figure it was one of those deals where you'd be better off with that practice, than you would be without it.

I'm reminded----
    One of the old, old hangers at MCAF Quantico had a big sign painted on the wall.
    That hanger was where WWI era sea planes were parked, some of the research and development of jet engines was done, etc.

The sign read something like:
    "Aviation in not inherently dangerous. However; it is very unforgiving of even the slightest transgression"

On another wall was:
    "Aviation is comprised of endless hours of boredom, accented by seconds of stark terror".
    Well said Winger Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    For your hunting needs?
    I am struggling with a rifle and it is not getting down to where I like it
    Which is about 1" for 3 shots at 100 yards.
    once I get it set and make up a box and retest it either moves or not what I had previously
    What say You?
    The OP is asking specifically about hunting and later stated deer hunting accuracy.

It always suprises me how many believe there is only one "correct" way.

Accuracy can be measured in many different ways and some methods are statistically superior. That being said the only only real statistic that matters when hunting is the kill to recovery rates. One shot one kill is just that and it matters little if it comes from a 1/4" MOA or a 2" MOA firearm. Understanding both the shooters and the equipment limitations and operating within them is just as import or more important than the difference between 1 cold bore shot, 3 shot, 5 shot, 10 shot or more.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-18-2021 at 02:14 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    lets call it your deer rifle
    some of my deer rifles are scoped, an some are lever gun opens,

1 inch for the scoped i like, but il take 2 inch hunting scoped .. at 100m

with the opens, 4-5 inches for 3 shots is good
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

5 shots within a 5 centimeter diameter circle at 100 meters, enough to kill anything.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    A group is not made of 3 shots IMHO. 5 is bare min to be called a group 10 is better.

IMHO the 3 shotter's are afraid to fire more as the know it will grow in size Just MHO
    This isn't quite correct . when you are dealing with a lightweight or ultralight weight hunting rifle that will be carried far more in it's life than shot a 3 shot group is more than adequate to determine its accuracy.

Never in my life have I fired more than twice at an animal and usually the second shot is to end it's suffering and has only been fired when the first did not put it down as intended . If you are on a target range I agree that a 9 shot group with a cold bore shot is a good metric for accuracy and precision .

In hunting situation though the cold bore shot is the one which matters most because that is the shot that will take the meat or not . Your mileage may vary , but I have yet to see a gun which will not shift its point of impact after a cold bore shot . Accuracy and precision aren't the same thing and it's nice to have both , but in a hunting rifle I would much rather have one that delivers the bullet accurately to guarantee a clean kill vs one that can place all the bullets into one hole repeatedly after a fouling or cold bore shot.
    Last edited by savagetactical; 11-18-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Boolit Master
    We had a 4" gong at the 100 yard range at our club. I used to take my deer rifle there before deer season and give it a good whack. Was good to go then.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	291947for me this is good enough to take deer and other critters!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master
    Prodigal son; Those 1st 2-shots were they cold bore or fouling shots & the rest of the group elevated after barrel warm or did you move your sight point of impact?

Depends on the type of action and caliber, my heavy bolt guns about 1”, my light bolt guns about .5, my ARs about 3/4”, my single shots about .5”

With casting, everything effects accuracy, lube, alloy, consistency, powder, primers, brass, etc. One thing many fail to notice in a reduced load is powder location in the case. I started using fillers for low density loads, improved accuracy consistancy.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

It was a warm summer day, but the 1st two were, Gun just bore sighted! Made a correction and over corrected to high! The 4th was to the right at 3 o'clock, one click left and the next five grouped to the left of center, but hits wear I aim, kills deer too!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master
    P-Son; Thanks for update, That load will hunt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast