Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Items Needing Identification Please

Items Needing Identification Please

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MISC ITEMS.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	291719

I won a few lots at a local auction and have a few pieces in need of identification.

1. Top left is some sort of collet half and has 2 very small pins or set screws on one side.
    2. Top right is a rear sight assembly that appears to mount on the top of the barrel with 4 holes in it.
    3. Bottom left is a slotted plastic piece with a rubber strap on one end and a hook on the other.
    4. In the center are 2 projectiles that came in the bulk box below it along with the label stating Rem 7mm. They weigh 140 gr. I could not find a bullet pic on Midway USA or other similar sites that might tell me the brand of bullet they are.

My last question, what rifles generally are these bullets made for? I have an old Mauser I believe is 7mm that I was wondering if I should try them in, or whether to use them a trading fodder.

Thanks for looking and sharing your expertise.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 11-14-2021 at 11:22 PM.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Attachment 291720

Attachment 291721

Attachment 291722

Closer pics if needed.

Thanks for looking,

Slim

The most common use of 7mm 140s would be in a 7mmMag and maybe 7mm-08.
    The most common brands of them would probably be Hornady or Sierra.

You could better match them up if you had one of those charts Hornady and Sierra print out every year with all their bullets on it.

If they check out to be the correct diameter, and there is a listing for them for 7mm Mauser in the favorite loading books, I'd shoot 'em.
    (After I made sure the Mauser was indeed 7mm)

The plastic tube would be handy if you're filling shot cups by hand after using something like a LEE loader.

Attachments didn't work.
    I just enlarged the pic. on my screen.

If that stuff is not fairly new- those shiny ingots are probably made of some pretty hard alloy.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    That thing you identified as a collet half looks sort of like a trigger shoe to me. Gives you a wider trigger surface for resting the first joint of the trigger finger on. Note that I've never actually seen one in person, just some photos of them.

Been looking at 7mm Mauser stuff/info myself lately, and bullet weights from 123-173 grains were apparently fairly common in the milspec ammo made for the them back in the day. Speeds from 2900fps to 2300fps for lighter to heavier bullets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7%C3%9757mm_Mauser

Bill

Winger Ed, I will indeed check the bore first, It's an ugly rifle that someone buggered up but may have potential as a shooter. I will do a chamber cast first.

Scrounge, You are correct on the trigger shoe, I forgot that I had one on my Argentine Mauser. Thanks for reminding me, I forget a lot in my old age.

Sorry the attachments don't open, I downloaded them the same way as the original pic.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 11-14-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Boolit Master

The bullets might be Remington “Pointed Soft Points.” Same bullet that’s in their Core-Lokt ammunition. I bought 500 in a box just like that once. If so, they’re amazingly accurate and expand well.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    The bullets might be Remington “Pointed Soft Points.” Same bullet that’s in their Core-Lokt ammunition. I bought 500 in a box just like that once. If so, they’re amazingly accurate and expand well.
    That may be why the "CL" reference is on the label, thanks.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 11-15-2021 at 12:55 AM.

Is that a flexible strap with the 4 holes in it? If so could it be placed over the muzzle of a rifle barrel and strapped on? Could it be used to catch spent cleaning patches when they're pushed through from the chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by LaPoint View Post
    Is that a flexible strap with the 4 holes in it? If so could it be placed over the muzzle of a rifle barrel and strapped on? Could it be used to catch spent cleaning patches when they're pushed through from the chamber?
    Ding ding ding, I think we have a winner. It does have 3 holes in the rubber and a small tit on the other side of the tube to fasten it to. At the end of the tube the previous owner had inserted a small piece of sponge which makes sense now.

Thanks,

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 11-15-2021 at 01:20 AM.

The base of the rubber thingy almost looks like the base of a fly tying vise.