RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: 41mag barrel for Contender

41mag barrel for Contender

I've always wanted one and I finally broke down and ordered it from Marty at Haus of Arms. It is a custom SSK barrel in .41mag. 18" long and tapered like the original carbine barrels. I can't wait to get out and shoot it before we get snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41mag contender.jpg   41 ssk.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Nice! I really like that round. Don't have a Contender barrel in that yet but I keep looking for it. Have most of the others for it that I want. Just picked up a LNIB (never fired I think) 357Max this weekend.

Boolit Master
    Very nice. I’ve got a couple of the 10” 41mag barrels, but have never come across a carbine barrel.

As far as I know, T/C never made a carbine barrel in 41. That's why I had to go the custom route. Now with S&W dropping production of all T/C items custom is it. Dealing with Haus of Arms was painless. If I ever want anything T/C, they are the ones I'll contact.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your acquisition!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I have a 14" 41 mag barrel. It is a joy to shoot. I am not a very good pistol shot but when I once (only once briefly due to federal law) tried it with a carbine stock, it did a tight cloverleaf of five shots at 100m yards. That barrel just loves 6.6 gr of Bullseye which is not exactly a barn burner of velocity. Congratulations and have fun with it. BTW - The T/C custom shop at Fox Ridge Outfitters did offer the carbine in 41 mag in any length from 21" on down. Sadly that outfit has long since gone away.

I sure remember Fox Ridge Outfitters! There were a lot of barrels I wanted to order but I had a family to take care of and cash went to other things. Now I can and no custom shop. The way Smith & Wesson is handling T/C, we may never see them again. Thank GOD for Marty at Haus of Arms and the custom barrel makers like SSK and MGM.

Boolit Master
    Wow that's a sharp setup.

Daddy's Baby but with a 22 K hornet barrel. Can dot a mosquito's eye @ 150 yds that is only a slight exaggeration

Moderator Emeritus

Quillbilly, a 14" bbl is a great reason to register a frame as a SBR. $200 fee and a lot more control when out foraging.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Quillbilly, a 14" bbl is a great reason to register a frame as a SBR. $200 fee and a lot more control when out foraging.
    How does this work for contenders? Do you just register the frame as an SBR and then you can use any barrel on the frame? Or do you have to specify a a barrel for the SBR? I’m curious as I own a contender frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

Bubbadoyle, I think it would be best to talk to the ATF. I think the rules have changed over time and whether it originally started as a pistol or rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    Bubbadoyle, I think it would be best to talk to the ATF. I think the rules have changed over time and whether it originally started as a pistol or rifle.
    That’s certainly the way to get the best answer. If I decided to go that route I’d have to deal with them anyway. I was just hoping to hear from someone who has maybe asked this before. I did do some research on it and found what I believe is the answer but I’d get it straight from the horses mouth before proceeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro