Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington ?

Boolit Mold
    Well...yuks mainly. I use the Lee 200 mold and I'm thinking of an Accurate mold, so why not bump up to something a little bigger?

You do have a good point about perfection though....

Hey TX
    What accurate mold are you looking at? Thanks for the great post btw.
    That Lee 200 grainer seems to be a good one. I'm trying to find a rcbs 35-200 but not having any luck. I think Lee, accurate and noe all make a suitable candidate.

Wanted to shoot the 336 tomorrow but a dang snow storm just started. Maybe Sunday. Glad to hear the 35 thumps deer so well.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Reread your post. Other than doing the 225 for yuks , why ? What do you expect to get from the 225 that you are not already getting from the 200 ? I would guess the only thing you will gain is a new mold and a tad more recoil . Why mess with perfection .
    I may not consider it perfection but my Ballard rifled Marlin loves the RCBS 250 and the 245 Saeco 352. If you stop looking you may assume what your best is so far to be perfection.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I may not consider it perfection but my Ballard rifled Marlin loves the RCBS 250 and the 245 Saeco 352. If you stop looking you may assume what your best is so far to be perfection.
    Amen!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Not to hijack this but has anyone gotten the Feb Guns mag and read John Taffins article on loading cast bullets in a Marlin 336, 35 Rem with micro grove rifling. I realize Mr Taffin is a very respected firearms writer/ tester. Maybe he should stick to handguns as I don't think he has a clue about micro grove rifles. Not a mention about bullet diameter. Just powder and length. Nice pictures though.
    Never trade luck for skill.

You're not hijacking, will have to go to the local fleet farm and check out the magazine.
    Nice farmall, use to have one and had many a good afternoon on it.

Iron B, just a pic of an old M. Mine is a '40. Doesn't look that good, has a wide front, a farmhand loader with 8' bucket on it. Switched to 12 v. Always starts. Snow removal or portable scaffold/ window washer. The old days!
    Never trade luck for skill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    i have a win 94 in 35/30 that was made by JES. i was going to go with the 270gr fn gc bullshop stomper, just to give the heavyweights a try. but i didn't because of the 200gr rcbs fn gc. i use 2400/tuft of dacron going at 1726fps and it sure kills deer. well, sort of. i have only shot 2 deer, 1 doe and one fork horn. they ran, but it was 20ish yards(doe) and 10ish(buck)yards. the doe was 25ish yards and the fork horn was at 50ish yards. i have found the boolit that werks.

Moderator Emeritus

Todd, you have no need to change what works for you. I bought this rifle from a friend who worked up heavy bullets for a hog hunt and was super pleased with how they grouped. Two dead deer with two shots needs no adjustment.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    I'm looking at the Accurate 35-220, either A, B, or C... havent made my mind up yet...Love that wide meplat. Its bound to leave a mark on wild hogs and deer. And whatever else..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by txcaster View Post
    I'm looking at the Accurate 35-220, either A, B, or C... havent made my mind up yet...Love that wide meplat. Its bound to leave a mark on wild hogs and deer. And whatever else..
    Take a look at the NOE 360-232 if your lookin. Its a dandy. But I have to say some claim difficulties feeding in a Marlin. Mine feeds it.

CW

Boolit Mold
    It looks like NOE is sold out of pretty much all of them with the gas check...it is a good looking bullet tho....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Thats one of the benefits if Powder Coat.

Softer alloys for faster speeds.

$$& time saved by NOT needing a Gas Check. (As often).

One thing I will say. If a mold is cut for a GC. IT GETS ONE! But because I find them more accurate this way. Not because I"need" one.

CW
    I agree. I'm getting 2300fps with 12Bhn RMR Core Lead with PC. And I've always gas checked boolits designed for them.

John

Boolit Master

They just always shot just a lil more accurate for me. But when compaired to a PB of same design with the few I have removed gc shank. Little is any accuracy difference and then when there was it was more accurate. IMHO the increased surface contact is adding stability.

Im gonna be removing some from my 35 cal molds here as a winter project.

CW

Hey CW...
    Been watching some of your videos, good stuff! Great tips on powder coating, like the tip using lava rocks in the convection oven.

Have you tested any of the 35 hp rifle boolits in media? Old phone books ECT?

Boolit Buddy
    The OP was looking for brass, too. The only way I've ever seen 35 Remington brass was in the trash can or on the ground at the local range, or as loaded ammunition. Been a scrounger for nearly 50 years. 35 Remington is hard to find.

That is true
    A member on here was kind enough to sell me some. But I'm always on the look out for more...have any??

Boolit Mold
    I recently bought some from Graf and Sons, and also Mid South but they're currently out....you might try them periodically.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    Hey CW...
    Been watching some of your videos, good stuff! Great tips on powder coating, like the tip using lava rocks in the convection oven.

Have you tested any of the 35 hp rifle boolits in media? Old phone books ECT?
    . Thanks man!!

Yes I have!! It takes quite a bit of trial and error. Looking for the proper alloy and velocity. Everything affects something else. So I arrive at a velocity I want first. And then I develop a load that's accurate at that velocity. And then I work with different harnesses of my alloy to achieve the expansion that I'm looking for at that velocity. Sometimes load changes need to be made because different harnesses can shoot differently. But it's all fun and I've worked out a number of these for a number of my bullets.

Boolit Master
    Just wanted to mention my experience with the 35 Remington and cast. This was my 1st rifle to try using cast for deer so was a bit hesitant to even try it until I read on this board how others were having success doing so. Anyhow, went with an Accurate mold. 36-200A It has a nice wide meplate that hits deer hard. It feeds in my mid 70's Marlin 336 but did not feed in a friends Winchester 94 in 356 Win. I did run into one problem with the bullet and that is the front driving band jamming into the rifling causing it to be real hard to close the action. I have to trim cases .010 under the Min trim length to make it work. The band now just "kisses" the rifling but is fully functional. Accurate must have found this to be a common problem because they now offer a variation of the bullet with the driving band moved rearward .020. (36-200AS)

I've never tried real low velocities so can't speak to where you start needing a gas check. To my mind, the 35 Remington operates at low enough velocity that you can get the full power potential of the cartridge with cast so why not push it to the limit? I've mostly used IMR 4320 at full Jacketed bullet load levels and this chronographs at 2,070 ft/sec in my carbine. Have only shot 3 deer so far but it has truly impressed me with how hard it hits them. The loud audible THUMP of bullet impact surprised me when I shot the 1st deer and it has been very noticeable on all 3. Unfortunately my alloy isn't exactly known as it's some I got off of Ebay years ago and not something I smelted down myself. But it's definitely not any harder than wheel weights and is air cooled. I've also cast another batch using the popular 50/50 CoWW/pure Lead plus 1 or 2% Tin with the same accuracy. The rifle easily shoots into an inch or so at 100 yards. Way better than I ever thought a l ever action could shoot.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast