Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington ?

I run PCed 35 200s in the 357 Super Mag, 358 MGP and the 35 Whelen rifles to 2,400-2,600 without a GC. RCBS discontinued the plain base 200, years ago, but Saeco still makes a mold in the 200g RCBS plain base. I just PC the bullets then bake nose down in a hardware cloth box to solid coat the base and bearing surface. I size to grove diameter using case lube.
    I buy my powder coat material from an auto parts coating, material supply house. I also prefer black for my bullets.

3031 is a very good powder in the 30-30 capacity size cases as is Unique and 4227. I use 1680 in the MGP a 6.8 necked up for the AR.
    Last edited by Rapier; 11-19-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1952 336SC. It likes the RCBS 35-200-FN with 36.0 H-4895.

Thanks for the load data. Would you happen to know the velocity of that load? I'm looking for about 1850 fps. Pc is starting to peek my interest. Might just have to try some.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't chronographed it but comparing it to listed jacketed loads should be about factory load level 1950-2000.

No .35 paper patches?

Thought I would post a pic of the marlin. I slugged the bore and best I could measure it's right at .358.
    Rifle came with a vintage weaver 4x marksman scope and Williams mount. I added a Williams fp peep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211201_184007.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	292489

Name:	IMG_20211201_184032.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	292490

Another thing I wanted to add was how simple it is to remove the lever, bolt and ejector to clean the bore from the rear of the rifle.

I am currently seeking a mold for the old girl. Still debating whether I want to hunt with the peep or the scope on it. Rifle weighs 7.3 lbs with out it and 8.2 with.

Will most likely shoot it both ways to see. I hunt in the woods and seeing the sights proved challenging in dim light. I do realize It is not a pristine example of a 336 waffle top but I bought it to hunt with and enjoy.
    At first I thought about replacing the butt plate but decided I might like the decelerater pad.

Boolit Grand Master

Back when they drilled that rifle it was just another 336 and the scope was upgrading it. Just because we wouldn’t do something today doesn’t mean it was a sin. Congratulations on a nice rifle.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Thank you sir!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Back when they drilled that rifle it was just another 336 and the scope was upgrading it. Just because we wouldn’t do something today doesn’t mean it was a sin. Congratulations on a nice rifle.
    Wise words. They also apply to each and every one of the sporters built on Surplus rifles, whether by a skilled craftsman or by Bubba.

Marlin sure wasn't shy about adding wood to these rifles, where they?

The more I handle my own 336A, the more it makes me wonder just why the lever action rifle died out in favor of the carbine.

The Decelerator might not be a bad choice, the .35 Remington seems to be a considerable step up from the .30-30 in the recoil department.

Robert

The more I handle my own 336A, the more it makes me wonder just why the lever action rifle died out in favor of the carbine.

No doubt. The rifle has a nice balance and comes up to my shoulder smoothly.
    I have a question about the Lee 35-200 boolit... Some say that the nose shank of the boolit is large. Can someone measure that for me?

Granted not all molds are the same and different alloy ECT. But it would give me some sort of idea.
    Last edited by iron brigade; 12-13-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    My rifle is an old M81 Rem, probably built in the early 20s. I use the RCBS 358 200 w/ GC and IMR 3031 jacketed bullet load data. It shoots 2 1/2" or a bit less at 100yds with Iron sights. I use home made aluminum GCs and FWFL with no leading. I haven't shot anything with it yet. Too many other guns that need field time.

I think the 81 was produced in the 1930's. You probably have a model 8. Finding a rcbs 358-200 is proving difficult. Bid on one yesterday but didn't win.

Boolit Master
    You are quite correct. Why I said M81 I don't know. My dad got the rifle from his uncle about 1925 and it was used then. If you can find the Lee copy of the RCBS 358 200, it is a very close copy if not exact. I got lucky 6 or 7 years ago and got a Lee 6 cavity copy so now have both.

Boolit Master
    Never reloaded for .35 Remington, so I'm WAY out of my element, here. It looks like H4895 will work in it just fine, so using the "60% rule" with it to work up loads for 200 gr. or 220 gr. very hard-cast projectiles might minimize the need for gas checks.
    I'd check with Hodgdon on THIS part, but H335 also (apparently) works in .35 Remington. It might also be reduced to deliver moderate velocities with cast bullets.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I do have the Hodgdon manual as well as most of the other ones and have both of those powders to try.

The Lee six cavity mold is available and I have several of them in other calibers. But in measuring the slug I would need the nose section at about .350 just after the front band

Who knows maybe I'll get a mold for Christmas

If you have a bullet designed fr a gas check, use it. It's cheap insurance and takes a lot of guess work out of your cast bullet loadings.
    In .30/30, .32, and .35, routinely run whatever is in the pot segregate by weight, run 1800FPS with any of the powders listed, and NEVER have a trace of lead.
    Many, many of these rounds have been shot in IHMSA competition as well as hunting.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    This is the 1952 336SC 35 Rem referenced in my load post above. When I got it 7yrs ago the Waffle top had been machined off and it was D/T'd for the scope base and rings still on it. Came with a damaged Weaver K3 with post and crosshair that I replaced with the exact model. Got it to shoot and hunt so not concerned about collectability and the missing Waffle which made the cost very reasonable.

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	292751

Boolit Mold
    Congrats on an excellent rifle and caliber choice!

I have an old 336 in35 and have fed my family with it for some time now. I shoot 200 grain cast with IMR 4895 and the last time I chrono'd it they were going just over 2K with a gas check. Pretty simple, basic load.

It kills deer and hogs like a lightning bolt. It doesn't tear up whole shoulders either. Leaves blood trails a blind man could follow.

I'm actually thinking of bumping up to a 225 grain....

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by txcaster View Post
    Congrats on an excellent rifle and caliber choice!

I have an old 336 in35 and have fed my family with it for some time now. I shoot 200 grain cast with IMR 4895 and the last time I chrono'd it they were going just over 2K with a gas check. Pretty simple, basic load.

It kills deer and hogs like a lightning bolt. It doesn't tear up whole shoulders either. Leaves blood trails a blind man could follow.

I'm actually thinking of bumping up to a 225 grain....
    Reread your post. Other than doing the 225 for yuks , why ? What do you expect to get from the 225 that you are not already getting from the 200 ? I would guess the only thing you will gain is a new mold and a tad more recoil . Why mess with perfection .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast