RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington ?

35 Remington ?

Have marlin 336A on the way in 35 rem. It is a waffle top made in 1950. This will be my new to me cast bullet deer rifle. Anyway my question has to do with gas checks at hunting velocity. Bullet will be a 200 grainer and at what velocity does the bullet need a check?
    I hunt in the woods and my shots are pretty close.

I'm not new to casting or reloading, been at it since the '80s just new to the 35. Also looking for load data and on game performance with this cartridge.
    Hoping to have some good discussion.

Boolit Buddy
    First question is are you going to pc bullets? Next is how smooth is the barrel? I have pushed a 45/70 flat based bullet over 2000fps with no problems. The way things are for powder what do you have for powder? I use IMR 3031.
    Steve

Hi Steve
    I have 3031, H4895, 4227, 4759 and others. Hi tek coating. Bore looks excellent from the pics.

Boolit Grand Master

My experience is conventionally lubed boolits are just easier with checks after you pass 1,400 fps.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    iron brigade, I have your rifle's twin sister. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with cast in it, I hurt my back shortly after getting it and haven't done much with it.

The RCBS 200 FN or the Lee clone of it are supposed to be the bee's knee's for the .35 Remington. I would put a gas check on it and use a good lube, (I use FWFL myself).

From working with another 336CS, 3031 is a decent powder but H335 worked better for me with the Hornady 200gr RN.

There used to be a long thread on the Marlinowner's website regarding the .35 Remington, I found a lot of useful information there.

Good Luck maybe next year we can compare results.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 70s 336 in 35rem. Shoot a 215 grn GC at 1800 fps with benchmark or IMR4064. On game performance on deer had been outstanding.

Thanks guys.
    I do have h335, 5744, 4064
    Looking forward to hunting speed beef with the 35.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    My experience is conventionally lubed boolits are just easier with checks after you pass 1,400 fps.
    That's where I'm at.
    I've read & heard here and there that some barrel leading is caused by the high flame temps. associated with higher speeds.
    A small amount of the lead at the base of a boolit is vaporized into a mist and some is left on the inside of the barrel.
    I've noticed pitting on the back end of recovered boolits that I think support this idea.
    The gas check, since it melts at a higher temp. prevents that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's where I'm at.
    I've read & heard here and there that some barrel leading is caused by the high flame temps. associated with higher speeds.
    A small amount of the lead at the base of a boolit is vaporized into a mist and some is left on the inside of the barrel.
    I've noticed pitting on the back end of recovered boolits that I think support this idea.
    The gas check, since it melts at a higher temp. prevents that.
    Thanks for this explination makes sense, specifically with the 303 im tryin to work out..... possibly just gas check issue..or lack of, an using varget to push the 180s..... lead lead lead
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    iron brigade, I have your rifle's twin sister. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with cast in it, I hurt my back shortly after getting it and haven't done much with it.

The RCBS 200 FN or the Lee clone of it are supposed to be the bee's knee's for the .35 Remington. I would put a gas check on it and use a good lube, (I use FWFL myself).

From working with another 336CS, 3031 is a decent powder but H335 worked better for me with the Hornady 200gr RN.

There used to be a long thread on the Marlinowner's website regarding the .35 Remington, I found a lot of useful information there.

Good Luck maybe next year we can compare results.

Robert
    Hi Robert
    Yes hopefully we can compare notes. Sold my 270 bdl and am going old school. I will most likely start out with the lee mold. Want to slug the bore first. Brass is proving difficult to find. So yeah I'm excited to work with the old girl. Had a 10 point buck in the back yard the other day chasing a Doe. Gets the blood pumping, this year I'll be taking my 1895 cowboy in 45-70 and 405 grain boolits. I really don't want to hunt with it for fear of scratching it up. Anyway the 35 will be my deer gun next year.

Boolit Grand Master
    There was a fella here on the site that made 35 Rem from .308 Win. Unfortunately, he has passed, but it shows that it can be done. I've never made that conversion, so I'm no help. Perhaps others can chime in.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 1950 Marlin in 35 Rem. I shoot a 245 gr Saeco and IMR 4895. Previous owner used the RCBS 250. I think if you keep velocities under 1400 fps you are OK without GC. I wouldn't hunt at that low of a velocity.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a 1950 Marlin in 35 Rem. I shoot a 245 gr Saeco and IMR 4895. Previous owner used the RCBS 250. I think if you keep velocities under 1400 fps you are OK without GC. I wouldn't hunt at that low of a velocity.
    I am not convinced that low of a velocity is bad. I've killed deer at 70 yards with a 148grn button nosed wadcutter at 1300fps. And a deer this year with a 158 (162 grn as cast) bullet at 109 yards and 1500fps. I also shoot a 38-55, 255grn bullet at 1600fps and have done well. I'm not certain that 1400fps with a 250grn bullet is all that bad.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use a GC and PC on a 200 grain HP at 2100 fps along with 40 grains of varget. You can see my group I shot with it in my avatar. Knocks deer off their feet. I have an old post from last year with photos of the holes it made in and out on a whitetail.

Thanks guys.
    Triple beards I have read that post of yours. Massive wound channel.
    Very impressive!

Boolit Buddy
    I load for 3 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. Max for me on plain base is 1300/1400. I have never tried a GC design without a check.
    We use the Lee 200. Two rifles prefer 5744 at around 1800 and the third prefers 4759 around the same speed. Truth be told, not a lot of difference in either load. One of the three has to use Hornady cases or trim the length down on federals, shorter chamber I think.
    I do not remember the 4759 load and I think the 5744 is 19.0 plus or minus but check a load manual first.
    Tony

Hey iron
    My 336 is a Marlin centennial issue. Hunted with it for fifty years. Loaded everything from a 95gr JHP to 250gr JSP. The RCBS 200gr is hands down, the deer and hog getter. Hundreds of deer, never lost one, most never got up. 1700 to 1800fps puts Florida deer down with no need for a follow up shot. My slug carries a gc and soft lube. Never experimented much because the need did not exist. My long shots are all less than 150yds. The brush here in Florida makes open sights most useful. In the hands of others, I have seen deer taken at 247 steps with this combo. Lyman #2 alloy, or a tad softer, does just fine on deer. Have used IMR 3031, 4064, 4350 and played with Hercules 2400. Deer are easy! Big hogs need a bit harder slug and often a second hit to avoid having to track them down.
    What I can add, the Lee collet sizing die is a must get item. No more case lube, no more dented case shoulders. So much better than hand lubing, no grunting through die size process, no case lube to remove, longer case life. Wish this had been available when I started. Also, the collet crimp is an improvement from standard seat/crimp dies. Adds a step in the loading process but almost goof proof. Haven't killed anything in years, got old and lazy. My rifle has aged beautifully and a grandson is waiting patiently to own it. The boy has been killing with it a few times and they look good together. Your rifle does not have micro groove and probably not as fussy for proper sizing. Best of skill to you.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Great posts guys. After having several deer run 150-200 yards after double lung shots with Hornady bullets that blow up, I'm done with that nonsense.

Good to know the 35 with cast is so effective. I have a 38 special so got a couple molds for plinking loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Remington 200 gr round nose bullets and every shot was DRT.

I then tried Hornady 180 gr SSP bullets at a reduced load and got DRT with significantly less recoil.

Boolit Master

I have a few good bullets. Those RCBS 210 as wellas the LEE/ NOE copies are awesome choices. I like a NOE 360-197 bullet. It looks more like a traditional 35 Rem RN plus has option of cup & HP.

I powdercoat and have seen no use of a GC up to 2200 fps. Thats fast for a 35 Rem. Under 2000 is closer to reality.

I am and have been wanting a newer single shot in 35 Rem. I had a H&R that I re chambered to 356. Love ta find a CVA or Traditions. If henry would so chamber Id have one tomorrow. The 357 could be re chambered but twist would be wrong. 350 Legend is another that would re chamber but its a 9mm bbl.

I have a couple old Marlins and love them. My oldie is a mid '50's SC with 3/4 mag tube. Not drilled. My lil Marauder is a favorite.

CW

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-197-rn-al2/
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast