Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open sights

Open sights

Have you tried to hunt with open sights, metal, at night?
    How did it go?
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

i used too alot with a 22lr an standard 'open sights', ......... just recently tried to put down a deer at night after tracking an needed the mate, with the torch to offer some light over my shoulder sort of, so i could see peep an front post...an wher i was aiming?!

as long as the subject is Lit up well, with enough ?ambient? light spreads across your Tool , with no light shining back off the peep/irons then, maybe it might be ok.
    but for night id prefer a 1-5 or 2-7 an set it on 2. it just makes the vision much more better-er
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Boolit Master
    I encountered a coyote while going out to bale hay one morning (4:00 AM). The coyote was about 70 yds away. I was in my farm truck and on high beam. I stopped the truck to open a wire gate, opened the door.

Realizing I was just armed with my 7 1/2” .44 Mag Redhawk and not a scoped rifle, I at first was dismissive of having a way to harvest the predator but with a bit of more consideration I un-holstered my revolver.

I figured not on firing a round but only to “see” what the situation was as it presented itself.

To my surprise the coyote just mostly froze and as a light colored coyote it reflected a lot of light, being on high beam did not hurt either!

The black sights had the right amount of space around the rear sight compared to the front blade and my “test” rest felt very good (2 handed with my hands resting in the door jam).

I pulled the hammer back for a single action shot and lined up the sights. By this time the coyote was fidgeting by pivoting on its rear legs and shifting its front feet left and right as to try and see beyond my lights.

As the bullet reached the coyote it must have been quartering me a bit as the coyote “popped a wheelie” (standing up on its hind feet) and took off.

After I finished baling and the arrival of daylight, I went back to where the coyote stood at the shot.

Blood!

I was 42 years old back then and with a lot of practice going on, I would not try that shot today with my 65 years old eyes and my stingy ways with my components as of now!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 11-14-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

When my dad and i hunted coons. He had a helmet with a spot light attached. And he used a 22 rifle with the irons. I don't think they had illumined crosshair scoped back then. This was in the 70'S.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Before we had flashlights on our guns, irons worked better with the Qbeam behind them and scopes with the Qbeam in front.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I've done it with 22s.
    It worked great for us with one person shining a light on the target, and the other off to their side shooting.
    Shooting from a dark place into a lighted one is no big deal.

Years ago, our public range had street lights over the berm and target boards.
    For a extra 50 cents range fee you could shoot from the darkened benches onto them.
    It was great practice for night varmit hunting.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My idea is to go back to making night waits to hunt wild boars. But to my rifle, long ago I took off the scope, because I hunted by day in the forest. For this reason ask the question, before I buy a scope again, I want to see if it is possible to hunt at night with open sights. I am 59 years old and my eyesight is still good.
    I had thought about using artificial light, but I don't think the boar will give me time to an exact shot when the light turns on. The only light I have is that of the moon .....
    Last edited by JLF; 11-14-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Boolit Grand Master

With iron sights shooting from the dark into the light is a plus, it is the ideal. Being in the dark into the light your pupils dilate improving your visions clarity.

I have decent scopes on centerfire rifles, but if it's not a bright moon out, I can't see much, and it takes forever to acquire a target.

I'm 66, and if I was going to hunt at night in my sunset years, I finagle a way to get a real night vision scope somehow.

EVERYONE!

In case I have to put a riflescope in my .338 win. mag it will be a Burris Fullfield IV 2.5-10x42, Illuminated E3 Ballistic grid. I hope it holds the recoil.
    Last edited by JLF; 11-14-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    With iron sights shooting from the dark into the light is a plus, it is the ideal. Being in the dark into the light your pupils dilate improving your visions clarity.
    I'm going to practice. Thanks for your advice...

Moderator Emeritus

No but I have qualified for handgun with LE Agency at night by the light of my rooftop flashing lights. Headlights were pointed 45 degrees right. I wouldn't recommend night hunting with irons.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    In case I have to put a riflescope in my .338 win. mag it will be a Burris Fullfield IV 2.5-10x42, Illuminated E3 Ballistic grid. I hope it holds the recoil.
    What state are you in? What game are you going after? .338 win mag is big medicine, and I don't know of any state that allows hunting of big game at night.

Plus, most states outlaw the use of lighted reticles for big game hunting.

Unless you're a poacher, you might want to take a look at the hunting laws in your state.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    What state are you in? What game are you going after? .338 win mag is big medicine, and I don't know of any state that allows hunting of big game at night.

Unless you're a poacher, you might want to take a look at the hunting laws in your state.
    I reside in Argentina. In a small town called Alvarez, province of Santa Fe. But I hunt in Chamaico, La Pampa. On the map it is marked with a circle with a cross.

The town where I live is marked on the map below

Last edited by JLF; 11-15-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post

That's how it is here for game animals.

All the other varmints, they're sort of like cockroaches. Nobody here really cares what you do to them.
    As long as you don't shoot- from, over, or onto a public road it's all good.
    As well as spot lights, full night vision scopes are a real favorite here for hog, cayote, raccoon, and bobcat hunting at night.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master
    This summer I had my eye lenses replaced with store-bought, thus correcting old man eyesight. Quick & painless surgery, mild recovery time and bingo, I can see again. This year I intend to hunt with open sights. Expecting dawn & dusk issues but I installed an ivory bead on the front and it is pretty good. Time will tell.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried to hunt with open sights, metal, at night?
    How did it go?
    Australian and other Allied troops in WWII, besieged in Tobruk in North Africa, created discomfort for the besiegers by going out at night to attack them. They rubbed their sights with wax (phosphorus) matches to get some glow that they could see in the dark.

As for the pig, I'd just turn the light on and let him have it, as I have done with torch and shotgun in the past. Be prepared for a running shot, but they don't always run, especially if they are facing away from the light.

If using a scope in moonlight with light sensitive pigs, try shooting without the light. You will see the pig clearly but not the crosshairs - never mind, just aim with the middle of the scope. I have shot them up to 60 yards away like this. If scope is a variable, crank the power up to put more pig in the middle.

Something else that has worked when shooting on baits - carcases and stock feeders - is to rig the setup with a cheap solar powered security light. Surprisingly, pigs will eventually decide that they will ignore the light if the feed is good enough. The light itself is seldom enough to illuminate a shot, but it gets the pigs in a mind to ignore that extra light that you turn on them for the shot. If the position is a difficult one to watch on account of wind direction and where the pigs will come from, the light also allows you to set up some distance away and approach only when the light comes on.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 11-16-2021 at 05:28 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master

I reside in Argentina. In a small town called Alvarez, province of Santa Fe. But I hunt in Chamaico, La Pampa. On the map it is marked with a circle with a cross.

The town where I live is marked on the map below

Ahh... That explains it.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I pretty much used nothing but irons day or night for years and mostly preferred them save for some benchrest shooting and other competitive efforts , as I have aged though Presbyopia has required I have glasses for reading or seeing iron sights clearly and as a result I have gradually shifted to placing optics on my rifles where it is feasible to do so. While I can indeed see the sights fine when wearing my glasses I do not want to be forced to wear glasses any time I want to shoot, for shooting at night when hunting racoon I have found that a red dot seems to be the best compromise for me that way I am not running around with glasses .

Everyone's mileage probably varies on this though.

Another thought is that night vision optics are not necessarily legal for hunting in all locales .
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Australian and other Allied troops in WWII, besieged in Tobruk in North Africa, created discomfort for the besiegers by going out at night to attack them. They rubbed their sights with wax (phosphorus) matches to get some glow that they could see in the dark.

As for the pig, I'd just turn the light on and let him have it, as I have done with torch and shotgun in the past. Be prepared for a running shot, but they don't always run, especially if they are facing away from the light.

If using a scope in moonlight with light sensitive pigs, try shooting without the light. You will see the pig clearly but not the crosshairs - never mind, just aim with the middle of the scope. I have shot them up to 60 yards away like this. If scope is a variable, crank the power up to put more pig in the middle.

Something else that has worked when shooting on baits - carcases and stock feeders - is to rig the setup with a cheap solar powered security light. Surprisingly, pigs will eventually decide that they will ignore the light if the feed is good enough. The light itself is seldom enough to illuminate a shot, but it gets the pigs in a mind to ignore that extra light that you turn on them for the shot. If the position is a difficult one to watch on account of wind direction and where the pigs will come from, the light also allows you to set up some distance away and approach only when the light comes on.

Good luck.
    Very good idea about the phosphorus, I'm going to put it into practice.
    With regard to the use of artificial light, the wild boars in the area where I hunt are highly run by poachers who use dogs and spotlights, therefore at the best reflection of a light they run away. red light, to see if they react.
    But I'm interested in the use of phosphorus.
    Thank you very much for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast